Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions. - Ubuntu ; All, Firstly thanks to those who got me up and running; now the next phase. Sound: I set UB for auto detect but nothing came up not sure if it's a sound card or on board sound. Resolution is a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

  1. Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    All,

    Firstly thanks to those who got me up and running; now the next phase.

    Sound: I set UB for auto detect but nothing came up not sure if it's a
    sound card or on board sound.
    Resolution is a tad large for me where do I set that?
    I use open office already in windows and gimp also, and they are preloaded
    on UB so I'm set there.
    I have FireFox but I'm an OPera lover; How is it on UB?
    I have Audacity on windows; a friend of mine said he couldn't get Audacity
    to work in UB, so I'm be looking for a good alternitive just in case.

    What is a good binary news reader for UB? I like newsleecher a lot but I
    don't believe they have a Linux version, so what's a good alternative?

    More questions coming, but I'll do web search and get a book on linux.

    GK.

  2. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    GrailKing wrote:
    > All,


    > Firstly thanks to those who got me up and running; now the next phase.


    > Sound: I set UB for auto detect but nothing came up not sure if it's a
    > sound card or on board sound.


    As mentioned:
    $ lspci

    > I have FireFox but I'm an OPera lover; How is it on UB?


    # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" > \
    /etc/apt/sources.list

    # update the packages cache
    sudo apt-get update

    # install
    sudo apt-get install opera

    > I have Audacity on windows; a friend of mine said he couldn't get Audacity
    > to work in UB, so I'm be looking for a good alternitive just in case.


    It works here but I think it has quite some bugs because they chose
    the beta version. What kind of editing would you like to do?

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:49:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >> All,

    >
    >> Firstly thanks to those who got me up and running; now the next phase.

    >
    >> Sound: I set UB for auto detect but nothing came up not sure if it's a
    >> sound card or on board sound.

    >
    > As mentioned:
    > $ lspci
    >
    >> I have FireFox but I'm an OPera lover; How is it on UB?

    >
    > # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    > sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" > \
    > /etc/apt/sources.list
    >
    > # update the packages cache
    > sudo apt-get update
    >
    > # install
    > sudo apt-get install opera
    >
    >> I have Audacity on windows; a friend of mine said he couldn't get
    >> Audacity
    >> to work in UB, so I'm be looking for a good alternitive just in case.

    >
    > It works here but I think it has quite some bugs because they chose
    > the beta version. What kind of editing would you like to do?
    >



    Niklaus,

    Are these all command line inputs that one uses Linux terminal program?

    I like to make my own ring tones, and I have a bunch of 78s that I want to
    put to MP3 so I need to beable to remove unwanted noises, etc.
    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  4. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:49:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:


    > > GrailKing wrote:
    > >
    > > # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    > > sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" > \
    > > /etc/apt/sources.list
    > >
    > > # update the packages cache
    > > sudo apt-get update
    > >
    > > # install
    > > sudo apt-get install opera
    > >


    > Are these all command line inputs that one uses Linux terminal program?


    Yes. I think you can do the same things using synaptic but I've no
    idea how.

    Oh, I made a big mistake above (corrected here):
    # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" \
    >> /etc/apt/sources.list


    > I like to make my own ring tones, and I have a bunch of 78s


    vinyl records?

    > that I want to
    > put to MP3 so I need to beable to remove unwanted noises, etc.


    If you indeed want to convert analog material to .mp3 you could
    record to .wav with qarecord, cut with wavbreaker and convert with
    lame (or one of its front-ends). I don't know a separate gui program
    for denoising, though. If you don't mind a terminal program you might
    try gramofile.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  5. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:33:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:49:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    >> wrote:

    >
    >> > GrailKing wrote:
    >> >
    >> > # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    >> > sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" > \
    >> > /etc/apt/sources.list
    >> >
    >> > # update the packages cache
    >> > sudo apt-get update
    >> >
    >> > # install
    >> > sudo apt-get install opera
    >> >

    >
    >> Are these all command line inputs that one uses Linux terminal program?

    >
    > Yes. I think you can do the same things using synaptic but I've no
    > idea how.
    >
    > Oh, I made a big mistake above (corrected here):
    > # Add partner repositories to sources.list
    > sudo echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" \
    >>> /etc/apt/sources.list

    >
    >> I like to make my own ring tones, and I have a bunch of 78s

    >
    > vinyl records?

    Yes I still buy vinyl but I have my parents whole collection of 33s and
    78 LPs.

    >
    >> that I want to
    >> put to MP3 so I need to beable to remove unwanted noises, etc.

    >
    > If you indeed want to convert analog material to .mp3 you could
    > record to .wav with qarecord, cut with wavbreaker and convert with
    > lame (or one of its front-ends). I don't know a separate gui program
    > for denoising, though. If you don't mind a terminal program you might
    > try gramofile.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Niklaus


    I have Opera up and running it was as easy as windows, I dl from opera
    site and double clicked on the deb file and it installed nicely.

    I did freeze three times so far, each time was after performing a
    function, adding a cd with jpgs UB froze nothing worked I had to reboot,
    after installing Dia and inkspot the close screen came up and froze,
    another reboot and a third time but I forgot what was going on when that
    happened.

    I just dl flash but it's a archive file and the screen comes up to extract
    the files but I can't find either Opera or Firefox folders in the choices
    to extract to.

    Any who I will play with this somemore over the weekend.

    GK

  6. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:14:06 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:33:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> GrailKing wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:49:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    >>> wrote:

    >>
    >>> > GrailKing wrote:
    >>> >
    >>> > # Add partner repositories to sources.list sudo echo "deb
    >>> > http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" > \
    >>> > /etc/apt/sources.list
    >>> >
    >>> > # update the packages cache
    >>> > sudo apt-get update
    >>> >
    >>> > # install
    >>> > sudo apt-get install opera
    >>> >
    >>> >
    >>> Are these all command line inputs that one uses Linux terminal
    >>> program?

    >>
    >> Yes. I think you can do the same things using synaptic but I've no idea
    >> how.
    >>
    >> Oh, I made a big mistake above (corrected here): # Add partner
    >> repositories to sources.list sudo echo "deb
    >> http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" \
    >>>> /etc/apt/sources.list

    >>
    >>> I like to make my own ring tones, and I have a bunch of 78s

    >>
    >> vinyl records?

    > Yes I still buy vinyl but I have my parents whole collection of 33s
    > and 78 LPs.
    >
    >
    >>> that I want to
    >>> put to MP3 so I need to beable to remove unwanted noises, etc.

    >>
    >> If you indeed want to convert analog material to .mp3 you could record
    >> to .wav with qarecord, cut with wavbreaker and convert with lame (or
    >> one of its front-ends). I don't know a separate gui program for
    >> denoising, though. If you don't mind a terminal program you might try
    >> gramofile.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Niklaus

    >
    > I have Opera up and running it was as easy as windows, I dl from opera
    > site and double clicked on the deb file and it installed nicely.
    >
    > I did freeze three times so far, each time was after performing a
    > function, adding a cd with jpgs UB froze nothing worked I had to reboot,
    > after installing Dia and inkspot the close screen came up and froze,
    > another reboot and a third time but I forgot what was going on when that
    > happened.
    >
    > I just dl flash but it's a archive file and the screen comes up to
    > extract the files but I can't find either Opera or Firefox folders in
    > the choices to extract to.
    >
    > Any who I will play with this somemore over the weekend.
    >
    > GK


    Try to get out of the windows mindset of downloading things from web-
    sites. Almost everything you will need is in a repository. It may not be
    the 'latest and greatest' version but it will be stable and fully tested
    to run on ubuntu. Fire up the package manager (synaptic) and use
    'search'. Opera is in the mint repositories, along with the proprietary
    drivers you'll need to to get your sound/resolution issues sorted.
    www.linuxmint.org standard edition. Try it.

  7. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:33:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:
    > > GrailKing wrote:
    > >
    > > vinyl records?

    > Yes I still buy vinyl but I have my parents whole collection of 33s and
    > 78 LPs.


    Wow!

    > I have Opera up and running it was as easy as windows, I dl from opera
    > site and double clicked on the deb file and it installed nicely.


    IMO it would be even easier to enable all repositories in synaptic or
    adept and download everything through Ubuntu.

    > I did freeze three times so far, each time was after performing a
    > function, adding a cd with jpgs UB froze nothing worked I had to reboot,
    > after installing Dia and inkspot the close screen came up and froze,
    > another reboot and a third time but I forgot what was going on when that
    > happened.


    In only very, very rarely had to do a hard reset with Ubuntu. Any
    error messages in /var/log/messages or other files in /var/log? Do
    you have enough RAM?

    > I just dl flash but it's a archive file and the screen comes up to extract
    > the files but I can't find either Opera or Firefox folders in the choices
    > to extract to.


    Enable the multiverse repositories and install the package
    flashplugin-nonfree.

    If a program is available through the Ubuntu repositories you should
    use that one because it often integrates better with the rest of
    Ubuntu and it's easier to upgrade.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  8. Re: Now That I have it loaded here are my other questions.

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:27:11 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:33:50 -0400, Niklaus Kuehnis
    >> wrote:
    >> > GrailKing wrote:
    >> >
    >> > vinyl records?

    >> Yes I still buy vinyl but I have my parents whole collection of 33s
    >> and
    >> 78 LPs.

    >
    > Wow!
    >
    >> I have Opera up and running it was as easy as windows, I dl from opera
    >> site and double clicked on the deb file and it installed nicely.

    >
    > IMO it would be even easier to enable all repositories in synaptic or
    > adept and download everything through Ubuntu.
    >
    >> I did freeze three times so far, each time was after performing a
    >> function, adding a cd with jpgs UB froze nothing worked I had to reboot,
    >> after installing Dia and inkspot the close screen came up and froze,
    >> another reboot and a third time but I forgot what was going on when that
    >> happened.

    >
    > In only very, very rarely had to do a hard reset with Ubuntu. Any
    > error messages in /var/log/messages or other files in /var/log? Do
    > you have enough RAM?


    No messages, and I have more than 1G of ram.
    >
    >> I just dl flash but it's a archive file and the screen comes up to
    >> extract
    >> the files but I can't find either Opera or Firefox folders in the
    >> choices
    >> to extract to.

    >
    > Enable the multiverse repositories and install the package
    > flashplugin-nonfree.
    >

    Ok, I'll try that.

    > If a program is available through the Ubuntu repositories you should
    > use that one because it often integrates better with the rest of
    > Ubuntu and it's easier to upgrade.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Niklaus



+ Reply to Thread