installing on acer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on installing on acer - Ubuntu ; Ok first about my notebook: Acer Travelmate 2310 series Intel Celeron 1.3 768 mb of memory 20 gb hard drive when installing Ubuntu 8.04 all went well except the build in wireless card which is AR5005g by Atheros it's very ...

  1. installing on acer

    Ok first about my notebook:
    Acer Travelmate 2310 series
    Intel Celeron 1.3
    768 mb of memory
    20 gb hard drive
    when installing Ubuntu 8.04 all went well except the build in wireless
    card which is AR5005g by Atheros it's very goog wireless but could not
    get it to work, so went looking for drivers nothing at Acer found a
    few other ones from various supply...but understand I do not know how
    to write machine language...
    So here is my question is there any software drivers for Ubuntu that
    all you do is click install and let the Ubuntu do the rest....I know
    sound simple but been a senior it's not so easy. Thanks will check
    here from time to time....

  2. Re: installing on acer

    obelix@telus.net illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ok first about my notebook:
    > Acer Travelmate 2310 series
    > Intel Celeron 1.3
    > 768 mb of memory
    > 20 gb hard drive
    > when installing Ubuntu 8.04 all went well except the build in wireless
    > card which is AR5005g by Atheros it's very goog wireless but could not
    > get it to work, so went looking for drivers nothing at Acer found a
    > few other ones from various supply...but understand I do not know how
    > to write machine language...
    > So here is my question is there any software drivers for Ubuntu that
    > all you do is click install and let the Ubuntu do the rest....I know
    > sound simple but been a senior it's not so easy. Thanks will check
    > here from time to time....

    You'll need to install the restricted modules (this should have been
    done for you, but obviously wasn't)

    Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
    type (without the $ sign)
    $ sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules

    Part of that package includes the madwifi drivers that should operate
    yor AR5005G.

    From then in, you'll need to configure it. This is fairly
    straightforward and done from the the network icon in the top menu
    bar.

    --
    "I was pulled over in Massachusetts for reckless driving. When brought
    before the judge, I was asked if I knew what the punishment for drunk

+ Reply to Thread