I finally was able to spend time and find out why pulseaudio was not
working on my computer. I need pulseaudio because I have multiple
users who want to use sound, which they would be able to do with
pulseaudio. But, there was no sound if I used pulse.

The final answer was a pain to arrive to, but actually it was working,
but outputted sound to SPDIF instead of ANALOG OUTPUT., A little
messing with config files and a reboot changed that and now I enjoy
the benefits of pulseaudio.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/