How do I get Ubutu installed?? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I get Ubutu installed?? - Ubuntu ; All, I D/L Ubutu and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get: checking installation files... calculating checksum... creating image installing the files ? get to the end and I get could not access cd ...

  1. How do I get Ubutu installed??

    All,

    I D/L Ubutu and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    checking installation files...
    calculating checksum...
    creating image
    installing the files ?
    get to the end and I get

    could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    again.

    If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some Dos
    commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.

    I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second drive
    (E) how can I get this done?

    because if I like it windows may be history.

  2. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On 2008-07-19, GrailKing wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I D/L Ubutu and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    > checking installation files...
    > calculating checksum...
    > creating image
    > installing the files ?
    > get to the end and I get
    >
    > could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    > again.
    >
    > If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some Dos
    > commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.
    >
    > I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second drive
    > (E) how can I get this done?
    >
    > because if I like it windows may be history.

    First, how did you "burn the files to a cd"? Did you just put the
    ..iso file that you downloaded onto a disc, or did you use an
    appropriate app to burn the disc image?

    Next, which version did you download? Give the full filename of the
    file you downloaded.

    Then, how are you trying to install? For your desired outcome,
    putting Ubuntu on the second hard drive, you need to boot to the CD
    and let it boot to the "LiveCD" environment. This will give you a
    working Ubuntu desktop to work with, running from the CD. This will
    also have an icon on it that you will double-click to start the
    install procedure. Once you start, it should be pretty
    straight-forward.

    When it gets to the partitioning phase, you should make sure that it
    doesn't overwrite your current Windows (NTFS) partition, but rather
    installs on the second hard drive. If you are unsure, do not let the
    install start. Instead, report back here and someone can help walk
    you through the proper partitioning procedure...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:59:49 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I D/L Ubutu

    how? which version?

    >and burned the files to a cd;

    how? using what software and what OS?

    > when I try to install I get:
    > checking installation files...
    > calculating checksum...
    > creating image
    > installing the files ?
    > get to the end and I get

    When you try to install how? are you trying to install under windows
    using wubi or are you booting from the CD?

    > could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    > again.
    >
    > If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some
    > Dos commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.

    this makes no sense to me at all. Can you now not boot windoze?

    > I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second
    > drive (E) how can I get this done?

    answer the above and come back to us. You seem to have a working win32
    set-up and opera mail so you can still post?

  4. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    GrailKing wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I D/L Ubutu

    Where did you download from? all download locations are not alike......

    > and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    > checking installation files...
    > calculating checksum...
    > creating image
    > installing the files ?
    > get to the end and I get
    >
    > could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    > again.
    >
    > If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some Dos
    > commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.

    Welcome!

    The responses you describe are not what I would expect from a live CD,
    nor even from an alternate (text based installer) CD.

    It is most usual to download a ready prepared image (iso image, as a
    ..iso file). This is burned 'as is' (not copied) to a blank CD byte for
    byte exact. There is no process to 'Create an iso'.
    It is a binary and it will control your machine, so it makes good
    sense to use a trusted source of download and also to use the public
    available md5sums (form of checksums) from trusted sites to verify the
    accuracy and quality of your download at an early stage.

    > I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second drive
    > (E) how can I get this done?

    Your first drive is likely to be called hda (or sda) by linux and your
    second drive called hdb (or sdb).
    If windows is on your first drive, it is likely to have only a single
    partition. This would be called hda1

    > because if I like it windows may be history.

    Putting linux on a second drive is pretty safe because there will be
    no change of partitions on your first drive. However, take backups of
    your data as serious activities.
    You will need your first drive to be in place during the install
    because it will be usual for the new boot loader (which will include
    windows) to be written into the boot sector in the first drive.

    Good luck
    --
    ac

  5. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:03:42 -0400, Joe
    wrote:

    > On 2008-07-19, GrailKing wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I D/L Ubutu and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    >> checking installation files...
    >> calculating checksum...
    >> creating image
    >> installing the files ?
    >> get to the end and I get
    >>
    >> could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    >> again.
    >>
    >> If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some
    >> Dos
    >> commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.
    >>
    >> I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second
    >> drive
    >> (E) how can I get this done?
    >>
    >> because if I like it windows may be history.
    >>

    > First, how did you "burn the files to a cd"? Did you just put the
    > .iso file that you downloaded onto a disc, or did you use an
    > appropriate app to burn the disc image?

    I d/l Version 8.04.1 from ubuntu site,I extracted the files to a folder
    and used nero to make a bootable CD with the extracted files.

    > Next, which version did you download? Give the full filename of the
    > file you downloaded.

    See above.

    > Then, how are you trying to install? For your desired outcome,
    > putting Ubuntu on the second hard drive, you need to boot to the CD
    > and let it boot to the "LiveCD" environment. This will give you a
    > working Ubuntu desktop to work with, running from the CD. This will
    > also have an icon on it that you will double-click to start the
    > install procedure. Once you start, it should be pretty
    > straight-forward.

    I put the CD in the drive and the results are what I stated in my original
    post.

    > When it gets to the partitioning phase, you should make sure that it
    > doesn't overwrite your current Windows (NTFS) partition, but rather
    > installs on the second hard drive. If you are unsure, do not let the
    > install start. Instead, report back here and someone can help walk
    > you through the proper partitioning procedure...

    that's when I get the above errors.

  6. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 05:38:27 -0400, Derek Turner
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:59:49 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I D/L Ubutu

    > how? which version?
    >
    >> and burned the files to a cd;

    > how? using what software and what OS?
    >
    >> when I try to install I get:
    >> checking installation files...
    >> calculating checksum...
    >> creating image
    >> installing the files ?
    >> get to the end and I get

    > When you try to install how? are you trying to install under windows
    > using wubi or are you booting from the CD?
    >>
    >> could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    >> again.
    >>
    >> If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some
    >> Dos commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.

    > this makes no sense to me at all. Can you now not boot windoze?
    >>
    >> I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second
    >> drive (E) how can I get this done?

    > answer the above and come back to us. You seem to have a working win32
    > set-up and opera mail so you can still post?

    See my above reply to first person in this thread.

  7. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:21:07 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    > I d/l Version 8.04.1 from ubuntu site,I extracted the files to a folder
    > and used nero to make a bootable CD with the extracted files.

    I think your error in this. You do not extract the files and burn to a
    bootable CD. The file downloaded is an "image". You should look for an
    option to burn an image or iso in your burning software and select the
    file. Burn at a slow rate. This will give you a bootable live cd. Try
    this. There will be an install option on the Desktop of the live cd. You
    can easily install on a second drive by choosing to take over the whole
    drive of the selected installation drive in the install options.

  8. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:22:01 -0400, GrailKing wrote:

    >> answer the above and come back to us. You seem to have a working win32
    >> set-up and opera mail so you can still post?

    > See my above reply to first person in this thread.

    OK you should not have extracted the files: just use Nero to burn
    the .iso directly and all will be well. The 'burn image' option is what
    you are looking for. You really had to work quite hard to make that
    coaster!

  9. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:48:19 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:22:01 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >>> answer the above and come back to us. You seem to have a working win32
    >>> set-up and opera mail so you can still post?

    >> See my above reply to first person in this thread.

    > OK you should not have extracted the files: just use Nero to burn the
    > .iso directly and all will be well. The 'burn image' option is what you
    > are looking for. You really had to work quite hard to make that coaster!

    P.S. As a newcomer and used to Windows you may find the ubuntu-derived
    linuxMint easier to start with. www.linuxmint.com (get the version 5
    revision 1) this is a live CD which will let you play and see if you like
    it before installing. You'll also get to see if all your hardware is
    supported. NB it will run very slowly from the live CD, don't judge the
    performance on that experience.

  10. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:48:19 -0400, Derek Turner
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:22:01 -0400, GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >>> answer the above and come back to us. You seem to have a working win32
    >>> set-up and opera mail so you can still post?

    >> See my above reply to first person in this thread.

    > OK you should not have extracted the files: just use Nero to burn
    > the .iso directly and all will be well. The 'burn image' option is what
    > you are looking for. You really had to work quite hard to make that
    > coaster!

    True, but then that coaster only cost me a nickel so it was a minor glitch.

  11. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:54:13 -0400, ac wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >> All,
    >> I D/L Ubutu

    > Where did you download from? all download locations are not alike......
    >
    >> and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    >> checking installation files...
    >> calculating checksum...
    >> creating image
    >> installing the files ?
    >> get to the end and I get
    >> could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    >> again.
    >> If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some
    >> Dos commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.

    > Welcome!
    >
    > The responses you describe are not what I would expect from a live CD,
    > nor even from an alternate (text based installer) CD.
    >
    > It is most usual to download a ready prepared image (iso image, as a
    > .iso file). This is burned 'as is' (not copied) to a blank CD byte for
    > byte exact. There is no process to 'Create an iso'.
    > It is a binary and it will control your machine, so it makes good sense
    > to use a trusted source of download and also to use the public available
    > md5sums (form of checksums) from trusted sites to verify the accuracy
    > and quality of your download at an early stage.
    >
    >> I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second
    >> drive (E) how can I get this done?

    > Your first drive is likely to be called hda (or sda) by linux and your
    > second drive called hdb (or sdb).
    > If windows is on your first drive, it is likely to have only a single
    > partition. This would be called hda1
    >
    >> because if I like it windows may be history.

    > Putting linux on a second drive is pretty safe because there will be no
    > change of partitions on your first drive. However, take backups of your
    > data as serious activities.
    > You will need your first drive to be in place during the install because
    > it will be usual for the new boot loader (which will include windows) to
    > be written into the boot sector in the first drive.
    >
    > Good luck

    Looks Like I did the burn incorrectly, I will try it again later in the
    weekend.

    I will let you all know.

  12. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I D/L Ubutu and burned the files to a cd; when I try to install I get:
    > checking installation files...
    > calculating checksum...
    > creating image
    > installing the files ?
    > get to the end and I get
    >
    > could not access cd make sure other application not using, please try
    > again.
    >
    > If I reboot the computer I get a Dr. Dos screen, I still remember some
    > Dos commands but I'm sure I forgot more than I now remember.
    >
    > I have window XP pro on my C drive I want to put Ubutu on my second
    > drive (E) how can I get this done?
    >
    > because if I like it windows may be history.

    OK, I got it up and running now I need to set the resolution and get
    sound,UB down loaded Navidia drivers.
    I'am not sure of the sound card, it could be on board but I don't know
    because I bought this clone instead of building my own as I use to do.

    Thanks for the help from all who answered.

    GK

  13. Re: How do I get Ubutu installed??

    GrailKing wrote:
    > and get
    > sound,UB down loaded Navidia drivers.
    > I'am not sure of the sound card, it could be on board but I don't know
    > because I bought this clone instead of building my own as I use to do.

    Any reference of "audio" in the output of
    $ lspci
    ?

    (Run this command in a terminal as if it were Dr Dos.)

    Niklaus

+ Reply to Thread