    ^ ^ 12:14:01 up 4 days 15:40 1 user load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00
    ? ? (CSSA):

  2. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    On 2008-07-19, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    > Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    > website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    I think that that's what my Ubuntu is doing, no? Am I missing something?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    On 2008-07-19, Ignoramus31221 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-19, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>
    >> Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    >> website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...
    >>

    > I think that that's what my Ubuntu is doing, no? Am I missing something?

    Al most all of the drivers, apart from video ones are part of the kernel.
    The required modules are loaded when required

  4. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    > website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    Eh?

    Why on earth would you ant a to use a website when there are 25,000
    packages sat up on the ubuntu repositories that are "fetched" and
    installed on my hardware?

    Are you mad?

    --
    "I was pulled over in Massachusetts for reckless driving. When brought
    before the judge, I was asked if I knew what the punishment for drunk

  5. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:16:28 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    > Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    > website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    All this talk of 'drivers' is a windoze mindset. Linux does its hardware
    support by compiling it into the kernel, the appropriate kernel modules
    are fetched from the apt sources at the time of installation (be that the
    CD-ROM or the on-line ones) and are maintained automatically. WTF would
    we want to go looking for 'drivers'? why make things difficult?

  6. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:16:28 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >> Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    >> website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    > All this talk of 'drivers' is a windoze mindset. Linux does its hardware
    > support by compiling it into the kernel, the appropriate kernel modules
    > are fetched from the apt sources at the time of installation (be that the
    > CD-ROM or the on-line ones) and are maintained automatically. WTF would
    > we want to go looking for 'drivers'? why make things difficult?

    There could be time the kernel couldn't keep up with hardware
    changes..... the idea's just a convenience for the users, not that
    trying to make things complicated.

    BTW, some hardware manufacturers refuse to support Linux....

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  7. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:16:28 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    >>> website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    >> All this talk of 'drivers' is a windoze mindset. Linux does its hardware
    >> support by compiling it into the kernel, the appropriate kernel modules
    >> are fetched from the apt sources at the time of installation (be that the
    >> CD-ROM or the on-line ones) and are maintained automatically. WTF would
    >> we want to go looking for 'drivers'? why make things difficult?

    > There could be time the kernel couldn't keep up with hardware
    > changes..... the idea's just a convenience for the users, not that
    > trying to make things complicated.
    >
    > BTW, some hardware manufacturers refuse to support Linux....

    So why on earth would having a "windows update" style website be any
    better to the ubuntu update manager that runs once a day and checks
    the packages against the repositories?

    Could you explain, please?

    --
    “A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ~ Spike
    Milligan

  8. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    > So why on earth would having a "windows update" style website be any
    > better to the ubuntu update manager that runs once a day and checks
    > the packages against the repositories?

    You could not apt-get drivers that are not part of the kernel...
    wouldn't it nice if apt-get could do it?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 21:49:01 up 6 days 1:15 3 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
    (CSSA):

  9. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> So why on earth would having a "windows update" style website be any
    >> better to the ubuntu update manager that runs once a day and checks
    >> the packages against the repositories?

    > You could not apt-get drivers that are not part of the kernel...
    > wouldn't it nice if apt-get could do it?

    Of course you can. What makes you think you can't?

    Sure, *some* drivers will need a little tweaking, and other hardware
    needs to rely on ndiswrapper, but all of these are very easy to
    overcome and are extremely well documented.

    I still don't understand the point of your suggestion. It's something
    that is already implemented with the distro (and most other Linux
    distro's too).

    --
    "I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator." ~
    Emo Philips

  10. Re: Installing drivers from apt sources automagically?

    * Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:16:28 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >>> Could it do what Window$ is doing, that drivers could be fetched from a
    >>> website after hardware detection? Could be a great direction...

    >> All this talk of 'drivers' is a windoze mindset. Linux does its hardware
    >> support by compiling it into the kernel, the appropriate kernel modules
    >> are fetched from the apt sources at the time of installation (be that the
    >> CD-ROM or the on-line ones) and are maintained automatically. WTF would
    >> we want to go looking for 'drivers'? why make things difficult?

    > There could be time the kernel couldn't keep up with hardware
    > changes..... the idea's just a convenience for the users, not that
    > trying to make things complicated.

    > BTW, some hardware manufacturers refuse to support Linux....

    Simple solution, don't support those hardware manufacturers.

    --
    David
    The Bird of Time has but a little way to fly ...

+ Reply to Thread