version 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on version 8.04 - Ubuntu ; Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card. Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New restricted drivers are in use" Ideas as what this means? Thanks Frank...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: version 8.04

  1. version 8.04

    Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.

    Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    restricted drivers are in use"

    Ideas as what this means?

    Thanks

    Frank

  2. Re: version 8.04


    "Anthony" wrote in message
    news:brmdnRnqS63CqBzVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.
    >
    > Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New restricted
    > drivers are in use"
    >
    > Ideas as what this means?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Frank
    >


    Its the linux way of saying...You may be violating a law in the country you
    live in.


  3. Re: version 8.04


    "Hobbes" wrote in message
    news:g5rcql$3vl$1@aioe.org...
    >
    > "Anthony" wrote in message
    > news:brmdnRnqS63CqBzVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    >> restricted drivers are in use"
    >>
    >> Ideas as what this means?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>

    >
    > Its the linux way of saying...You may be violating a law in the
    > country you live in.


    Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but as far as I know, Ubuntu uses
    notion of "restricted driver" for proprietary drivers, meaning the
    support for them is restricted.

    I'm not familiar with this wireless card and do not know what drivers
    are available for it. But I'm quite positive this message means that
    a proprietary driver was installed for the card.

    If the driver was installed by default, it should have nothing to do
    with a country laws violation. Ubuntu would not install by default
    anything that might violate local laws. They are very cautious for
    this.

    If Anthony is in doubt, I would advise to open Hardware Drivers applet
    in System->Administration and see what the driver name is. Then
    google for it, if you want to learn more about the driver in use.



  4. Re: version 8.04

    Anthony wrote:
    > Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.
    >
    > Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    > restricted drivers are in use"
    >
    > Ideas as what this means?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Frank


    Just means that it is a proprietary driver and not FOSS based.

  5. Re: version 8.04

    Hobbes wrote:
    >
    > "Anthony" wrote in message
    > news:brmdnRnqS63CqBzVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    >> restricted drivers are in use"
    >>
    >> Ideas as what this means?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>

    >
    > Its the linux way of saying...You may be violating a law in the country
    > you live in.


    No, it just means the driver is not open source and not released under
    the GPL. It is proprietary and perfectly legal to use as is as long as
    you don't modify it to work with other hardware.

  6. Re: version 8.04

    On 2008-07-19, Anthony wrote:
    > Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.
    >
    > Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    > restricted drivers are in use"
    >
    > Ideas as what this means?


    It means what it says! Your system is using drivers that are not
    available in the open source community. Ubuntu cannot do much for
    those drivers, except for make them available. If something doesn't
    work right with your wireless card, you'll have to contact the
    manufacturer to get help, as the Open Source community does not have
    source to edit to fix bugs...

    You'll find the drivers for your card listed in the restricted drivers
    manager.

    If everything is working OK, then you have nothing to worry about.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: version 8.04

    On 2008-07-19, Vitorio Okio wrote:
    >
    > "Hobbes" wrote in message
    > news:g5rcql$3vl$1@aioe.org...
    >>
    >> "Anthony" wrote in message
    >> news:brmdnRnqS63CqBzVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless
    >>> card.
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    >>> restricted drivers are in use"
    >>>
    >>> Ideas as what this means?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Frank
    >>>

    >>
    >> Its the linux way of saying...You may be violating a law in the
    >> country you live in.

    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but as far as I know, Ubuntu uses
    > notion of "restricted driver" for proprietary drivers, meaning the
    > support for them is restricted.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with this wireless card and do not know what drivers
    > are available for it. But I'm quite positive this message means that
    > a proprietary driver was installed for the card.
    >
    > If the driver was installed by default, it should have nothing to do
    > with a country laws violation. Ubuntu would not install by default
    > anything that might violate local laws. They are very cautious for
    > this.
    >
    > If Anthony is in doubt, I would advise to open Hardware Drivers applet
    > in System->Administration and see what the driver name is. Then
    > google for it, if you want to learn more about the driver in use.
    >
    >


    Hobbes is no more than a Win-Droid troll. His main weapon seems to be
    FUD, which is pretty much the standard MO for the Redmond crowd...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: version 8.04

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-19, Anthony wrote:
    >> Just installed in in my Shuttle SD30G2 Plus with a Airlink Wireless card.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine but I get the wireless message that "New
    >> restricted drivers are in use"
    >>
    >> Ideas as what this means?

    >
    > It means what it says! Your system is using drivers that are not
    > available in the open source community. Ubuntu cannot do much for
    > those drivers, except for make them available. If something doesn't
    > work right with your wireless card, you'll have to contact the
    > manufacturer to get help, as the Open Source community does not have
    > source to edit to fix bugs...
    >
    > You'll find the drivers for your card listed in the restricted drivers
    > manager.
    >
    > If everything is working OK, then you have nothing to worry about.
    >

    Thanks all for your input.

    What ever drivers are in use they were enabled during the default
    installation. I was very surprised that all worked so smoothly during
    and after install. In the past my wireless cards gave me trouble during
    install.

    Thanks again

    F


  9. Re: version 8.04

    In Joe:

    [Snip...]

    > which is pretty much the standard MO for the Redmond crowd...


    Yeah, it sux to pin hopes on M$ common stock, Monkey Boy, and Yahoo.

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  10. Re: version 8.04

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:27:07 -0700, Vance wrote:

    > No, it just means the driver is not open source and not released under
    > the GPL. It is proprietary and perfectly legal to use as is as long as
    > you don't modify it to work with other hardware.


    In the case of ATI drivers they hardly work with ATI cards let alone other
    hardware, ATI have nothing to worry about on that front ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.



  11. Re: version 8.04

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:27:07 -0700, Vance wrote:
    >
    >> No, it just means the driver is not open source and not released under
    >> the GPL. It is proprietary and perfectly legal to use as is as long as
    >> you don't modify it to work with other hardware.

    >
    > In the case of ATI drivers they hardly work with ATI cards let alone other
    > hardware, ATI have nothing to worry about on that front ;-)
    >


    I used to be an ATI fan, but I started having problems and no matter
    what driver I used or what configuration, it wouldn't work.

    I switched to Nvidia based cards and have had no problems with any of them.

  12. Re: version 8.04

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:24:54 -0700, Vance wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:27:07 -0700, Vance wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, it just means the driver is not open source and not released under
    >>> the GPL. It is proprietary and perfectly legal to use as is as long as
    >>> you don't modify it to work with other hardware.

    >>
    >> In the case of ATI drivers they hardly work with ATI cards let alone other
    >> hardware, ATI have nothing to worry about on that front ;-)
    >>

    >
    > I used to be an ATI fan, but I started having problems and no matter
    > what driver I used or what configuration, it wouldn't work.
    >
    > I switched to Nvidia based cards and have had no problems with any of them.


    I wish I had taken the time/care to choose an NVidia card fro my main PC
    but back then I was blissfully unaware of the horrors that awaited me when
    I bought the ATI. Hindsight is always 20-20 :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.



+ Reply to Thread