RAID Help - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on RAID Help - Ubuntu ; I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but ...

  1. RAID Help

    I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.

    I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

  2. Re: RAID Help

    garry wrote:
    > I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    > stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    > mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    > I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.
    >
    > I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    > wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Update:

    Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?

    As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.

    Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

  3. Re: RAID Help

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:38:07 +0100, garry wrote:

    > garry wrote:
    >> I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    >> stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    >> mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    >> I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.
    >>
    >> I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    >> wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    > Update:
    >
    > Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    > sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    > this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?
    >
    > As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    > re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.
    >
    > Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

    My working raid is listed in /etc/fstab like:

    /dev/md0 /home reiserfs defaults,auto,noatime,exec 0 0

    If you wanted to mount that without specifying it in fstab, that would be
    like (untested):

    mount -t reiserfs /dev/md0 /home

    or

    mount -t auto /dev/md0 /home

    HTH.

    --
    It is neither possible nor necessary to educate people
    who never question anything.

    -- Joseph Heller

  4. Re: RAID Help

    Joe User wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:38:07 +0100, garry wrote:
    >
    >> garry wrote:
    >>> I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    >>> stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    >>> mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    >>> I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.
    >>>
    >>> I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    >>> wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    >> Update:
    >>
    >> Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    >> sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    >> this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?
    >>
    >> As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    >> re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.
    >>
    >> Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

    > My working raid is listed in /etc/fstab like:
    >
    > /dev/md0 /home reiserfs defaults,auto,noatime,exec 0 0
    >
    > If you wanted to mount that without specifying it in fstab, that would be
    > like (untested):
    >
    > mount -t reiserfs /dev/md0 /home
    >
    > or
    >
    > mount -t auto /dev/md0 /home
    >
    > HTH.

    Tried that alright. Didn't work.

    I also noticed that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't actually exist but
    running fstab /dev/sdb of sdc and print the partition table it shows them.

    Anybody know what's going on??

  5. Re: RAID Help

    garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > garry wrote:
    >> I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    >> stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    >> mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    >> I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.
    >>
    >> I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    >> wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    > Update:
    >
    > Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    > sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    > this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?
    >
    > As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    > re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.
    >
    > Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

    Have you read mdadm manual?

    # mdadm --examine /dev/sdb1

    gives you details about your raid? or no superblock detected?

    Have you created a mdadm.conf file with your raid info (details in mdadm
    manual)

  6. Re: RAID Help

    On 2008-07-18, garry wrote:
    > Joe User wrote:

    >>> Update:
    >>>
    >>> Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    >>> sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    >>> this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?
    >>>
    >>> As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    >>> re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

    >> My working raid is listed in /etc/fstab like:
    >>
    >> /dev/md0 /home reiserfs defaults,auto,noatime,exec 0 0
    >>
    >> If you wanted to mount that without specifying it in fstab, that would be
    >> like (untested):
    >>
    >> mount -t reiserfs /dev/md0 /home
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> mount -t auto /dev/md0 /home
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>

    > Tried that alright. Didn't work.
    >
    > I also noticed that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't actually exist but
    > running fstab /dev/sdb of sdc and print the partition table it shows them.
    >
    > Anybody know what's going on??

    You are regretting that you did not back up your data before the re-install
    ;-(

  7. Re: RAID Help

    Antonio Perez wrote:
    > garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> garry wrote:
    >>> I just did a fresh install to 8.04 (needed to resize partitions and
    >>> stuff anyway) but now I can't get my RAID array to mount. I installed
    >>> mdadm and reset and it seems to have detected the array alright but when
    >>> I try to mount it I get a "must specify filesystem type" error.
    >>>
    >>> I'm afraid to experiment too much cause I'm paranoid I'll accidentally
    >>> wipe everything from the drives. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    >> Update:
    >>
    >> Just noticed that /proc/mdstat says the rais is active using sdb[0] and
    >> sdc[1]. I don't know why it's using sdb[0] as it used to be sdb[1]. Is
    >> this what's wrong? How can I fix this without corrupting what's on it?
    >>
    >> As I said I'm trying not to lose everything on it (don't want to have to
    >> re-rip all those CDs ) so I'm wary of experimenting myself.
    >>
    >> Anybody got any help? This is driving me nuts!!

    > Have you read mdadm manual?
    >
    > # mdadm --examine /dev/sdb1
    >
    > gives you details about your raid? or no superblock detected?
    >
    > Have you created a mdadm.conf file with your raid info (details in mdadm
    > manual)

    # mdadm --examine /dev/sdb1
    Gives me "no such file or directory" but

    # mdadm --examine /dev/sdb
    Does return info on my RAID. I've gone through the mdadm manual alright
    but I'm wary of trying things as I don't know what would be destructive
    (i.e. wipe everything and create a new array).

    I'll have a look at creating an mdadm.conf file but I think my main
    problem at the minute is that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't exist.
    Anybody know how to manually create them or get Linux to detect them?

  8. Re: RAID Help

    garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Antonio Perez wrote:
    >> garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> garry wrote:

    [....]
    > I'll have a look at creating an mdadm.conf file but I think my main
    > problem at the minute is that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't exist.
    > Anybody know how to manually create them or get Linux to detect them?

    Do you have space in another disk?
    why don't you make a backup of the full disk with dd and be at ease?

    then you could try to include a line in mdadm.conf like:
    ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=123.....
    to start your raid. You have not said which type is it: 0,1,5,10?

    please provide "fdisk -l" as well.

  9. Re: RAID Help

    Antonio Perez wrote:
    > garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Antonio Perez wrote:

    > [....]
    >> I'll have a look at creating an mdadm.conf file but I think my main
    >> problem at the minute is that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't exist.
    >> Anybody know how to manually create them or get Linux to detect them?

    > Do you have space in another disk?
    > why don't you make a backup of the full disk with dd and be at ease?
    >
    > then you could try to include a line in mdadm.conf like:
    > ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=123.....
    > to start your raid. You have not said which type is it: 0,1,5,10?
    >
    > please provide "fdisk -l" as well.

    I don't have enough space on any other disk. I've a lot of large files
    left over from a project for college that I don't necessarily need but
    can't access them to delete them now.

    It's a RAID 0. 2x500gb drives.

    fdisk -l gives me the following:

    Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd2e08c95

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2432 19535008+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 24260 24321 498015 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3 2433 24259 175325377+ 83 Linux

    Partition table entries are not in disk order

    Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe4499a13

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384032 fd Linux raid
    autodetect

    Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xf8709f57

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdc1 1 60801 488384001 fd Linux raid
    autodetect

    Disk /dev/md0: 1000.2 GB, 1000215543808 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121602 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe4499a13

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/md0p1 1 60801 488384032 fd Linux raid
    autodetect

    sda is my os partion with /, /home/ and swap partions. sdb is the first
    raid drive and appears to be detected as such. sdc is the 2nd and is
    also being detected as a raid partition. I'm no expert (obviously )
    but the partition table of md0 doesn't look right to me. It's "Start"
    "End" and number of "Blocks" are all the same as the individual 500gig
    drives.

    mdadm.conf has 2 arrays listed /dev/md0 and /dev/md1. On the old OS
    installation my array was located at /dev/md1. Could there be a problem
    here?

    Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

  10. Re: RAID Help

    garry nothere@nosuchplace.net wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Antonio Perez wrote:
    >> [....]
    >>> I'll have a look at creating an mdadm.conf file but I think my main
    >>> problem at the minute is that /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 don't exist.

    They *do* exits as reported by "fdisk -l". Please calm down, repeating
    questions without more information won't help resolving your issue.

    >> Do you have space in another disk?

    > I don't have enough space on any other disk.

    Ok.

    > sda is my os partion with /, /home/ and swap partions.

    Ok, we could forget about sda for now.

    > It's a RAID 0.

    No redundancy, no backup, no spare. Problems are bound to happen.
    Hard way to learn this lesson, sorry.

    > 2x500gb drives.
    > sdb is the first raid drive and appears to be detected as such.
    > sdc is the 2nd and is also being detected as a raid partition.

    Being detected as a RAID partition and being included in a RAID array is not
    the same.

    This info should not be hold as correct (fdisk is trying to interpret data
    that could not be a partition table):
    > Disk /dev/md0: 1000.2 GB, 1000215543808 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121602 cylinders

    > but the partition table of md0 doesn't look right to me. It's "Start"
    > "End" and number of "Blocks" are all the same as the individual 500gig
    > drives.

    Yes, but the number of cylinders is 121602 (double of each disk).

    >> then you could try to include a line in mdadm.conf like:
    >> ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=123.....
    >> to start your raid.

    > mdadm.conf has 2 arrays listed /dev/md0 and /dev/md1. On the old OS
    > installation my array was located at /dev/md1. Could there be a problem
    > here?

    You only have one array, correct?
    Then, that file must contain only one line, the other has to be erased.

    Please do on a command line (# means root powers):
    "let's backup the file:"
    # mv /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf.backup
    "Let's create a new file with mdadm:"
    # echo ’DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]’ > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    # mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

    That procedure is detailed in the mdadm manual (# man mdadm).

    > Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

    Let's hope we can solve your problem.

    Post:
    the new /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    # mdadm -E /dev/sdb
    # mdadm -E /dev/sdc
    here

  11. Re: RAID Help

    > ================================================== ===================
    > Post:
    > the new /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    > # mdadm -E /dev/sdb
    > # mdadm -E /dev/sdc
    > here

    Here we go. /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf:

    ’DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]’
    ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid0 num-devices=2
    UID=935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8

    root@squidy:/home/garry# mdadm -E /dev/sdb
    mdadm: Unknown keyword ’DEVICE
    /dev/sdb:
    Magic : a92b4efc
    Version : 00.90.00
    UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    Creation Time : Tue May 20 22:28:52 2008
    Raid Level : raid0
    Used Dev Size : 0
    Raid Devices : 2
    Total Devices : 2
    Preferred Minor : 0

    Update Time : Fri Jul 18 18:55:36 2008
    State : active
    Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
    Failed Devices : 0
    Spare Devices : 0
    Checksum : 150a66d1 - correct
    Events : 0.5

    Chunk Size : 4K

    Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
    this 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb

    0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
    1 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    root@squidy:/home/garry# mdadm -E /dev/sdc
    mdadm: Unknown keyword ’DEVICE
    /dev/sdc:
    Magic : a92b4efc
    Version : 00.90.00
    UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    Creation Time : Tue May 20 22:28:52 2008
    Raid Level : raid0
    Used Dev Size : 0
    Raid Devices : 2
    Total Devices : 2
    Preferred Minor : 0

    Update Time : Fri Jul 18 18:55:36 2008
    State : active
    Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
    Failed Devices : 0
    Spare Devices : 0
    Checksum : 150a66e3 - correct
    Events : 0.5

    Chunk Size : 4K

    Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
    this 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
    1 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

  12. Re: RAID Help

    none none <""garry\"@ wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >> ================================================== ===================
    >> Post:
    >> the new /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    >> # mdadm -E /dev/sdb
    >> # mdadm -E /dev/sdc
    >> here

    > Here we go. /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf:
    >
    > ’DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]’
    > ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid0 num-devices=2
    > UID=935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8

    ok, mdadm.conf resolved

    > /dev/sdb:
    > UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    > State : active
    > Checksum : 150a66d1 - correct
    > 0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
    > 1 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    > /dev/sdc:
    > UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    > State : active
    > Checksum : 150a66e3 - correct
    > 0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
    > 1 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    Looks like your Raid is working correctly now. Any other problem?

  13. Re: RAID Help

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:01:46 -0400, Antonio Perez wrote:

    > none none <""garry\"@ wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    >>> ================================================== ===================
    >>> Post:
    >>> the new /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    >>> # mdadm -E /dev/sdb
    >>> # mdadm -E /dev/sdc
    >>> here

    >> Here we go. /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf:
    >>
    >> ’DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]’ ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid0
    >> num-devices=2 UID=935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8

    > ok, mdadm.conf resolved
    >
    >> /dev/sdb:
    >> UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    >> State : active
    >> Checksum : 150a66d1 - correct
    >> 0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb 1
    >> 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    >> /dev/sdc:
    >> UUID : 935e63d0:064f2465:98509c21:a92cc6f8
    >> State : active
    >> Checksum : 150a66e3 - correct
    >> 0 0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb 1
    >> 1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc

    > Looks like your Raid is working correctly now. Any other problem?

    Unfortunately I just seem to be back to square 1.
    $ cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5]
    [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid0 sdb[0] sdc[1]
    976772992 blocks 4k chunks

    unused devices:

    I'm considering trying to go back to 7.10 as I've found some other things
    that don't seem to be working as well as they used to. If I'm (very)
    lucky that will solve my RAID problems too.

  14. Re: RAID Help

    Joe joe@nospam.hits-buffalo.com wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2008-07-21, garry wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:01:46 -0400, Antonio Perez wrote:
    >>
    >>> none none <""garry\"@ wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]
    >>> Looks like your Raid is working correctly now. Any other problem?

    >> Unfortunately I just seem to be back to square 1.
    >> $ cat /proc/mdstat
    >> Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5]
    >> [raid4] [raid10]
    >> md0 : active raid0 sdb[0] sdc[1]
    >> 976772992 blocks 4k chunks
    >>
    >> unused devices:
    >>
    >> I'm considering trying to go back to 7.10 as I've found some other things
    >> that don't seem to be working as well as they used to. If I'm (very)
    >> lucky that will solve my RAID problems too.

    > That looks like it should. Now, mount /dev/md0 to some mountpoint on
    > your system, and you should see the drive...

    Agree, mounting /dev/md0 in some mountpoint should be a good idea ;-)

  15. Re: RAID Help

    Antonio Perez wrote:
    > Joe joe@nospam.hits-buffalo.com wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > [...]
    >>> Unfortunately I just seem to be back to square 1.
    >>> $ cat /proc/mdstat
    >>> Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5]
    >>> [raid4] [raid10]
    >>> md0 : active raid0 sdb[0] sdc[1]
    >>> 976772992 blocks 4k chunks
    >>>
    >>> unused devices:
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering trying to go back to 7.10 as I've found some other things
    >>> that don't seem to be working as well as they used to. If I'm (very)
    >>> lucky that will solve my RAID problems too.

    >> That looks like it should. Now, mount /dev/md0 to some mountpoint on
    >> your system, and you should see the drive...

    > Agree, mounting /dev/md0 in some mountpoint should be a good idea ;-)

    Tried mounting it and the whole system crashed and when I rebooted I got
    an "invalid system disk" error . On top of that 1 of the fans in my PC
    has decided to start sounding like a jet engine and bulb in the room
    went and there's no spares in the house. It's just not my week

    I'll break out a live CD tomorrow and see what's going on with the
    system. Might try some other distros too. Seems like as good a time as
    any. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

+ Reply to Thread