How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's - Ubuntu ; I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    its own OS.

    I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:59:59 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows
    > box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each
    > with its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    > and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    I'm looking at the same thing and have my fingers crossed that someone
    will give you the defining answer I'm also fumbling with the two disk
    aspect.

    However, in the meantime, maybe this will give you something to play with:

    justwilliam

  3. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    * franz fripplfrappl wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows
    > box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's
    > each with its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    > and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    It is unlikely that windows will boot properly and/or not need activation
    if you are moving the drive to another piece of hardware even if the boxes
    have 'identical' hardware.

    Pop the drive into the Ubuntu box, mount it and backup what you need and
    reinstall windows.

    --
    David

  4. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    SINNER wrote:
    > * franz fripplfrappl wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    >> the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows
    >> box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's
    >> each with its own OS.
    >>
    >> I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    >> and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?
    >>

    > It is unlikely that windows will boot properly and/or not need activation
    > if you are moving the drive to another piece of hardware even if the boxes
    > have 'identical' hardware.

    if the boxes have 'identical' hardware, the target will boot correctly.
    The activation topic depends on which Windows version (Pro or Home,
    Retail or OEM) very probably not an issue. Anyhow reactivating it is not
    a problem either.

    Regarding dual-boot Grub should handle the 2nd disk without any problem,
    but i did not try.

    Laszlo
    --
    Ein Optimist ist in der Regel der Zeitgenosse, der am ungenügensten
    informiert ist. - John Priestley

  5. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    By the way: if your current system is working well with the windows disk
    in it, you may try to use the Linux disk in a USB case and set the BIOS
    to boot first USB, than CD, than HD.
    I have it set up in that way. Whenever I want to run Linux (and even
    OS-X ;-)), I just plug the corresponding drive in USB and reboot. (so i
    can keep my company-owned notebook clean and free from any personal stuff)

    Don't try however to boot your Windows from USB, that won't work :-(
    --
    Ein Optimist ist in der Regel der Zeitgenosse, der am ungenĂ¼gensten
    informiert ist. - John Priestley

  6. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Grub.
    Boot from the Ubuntu disk and edit menu.lst to add your windows disk.
    Very straightforward.

  7. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.

    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    AFAIK if Windows will boot from second HD depends on the Windows
    version.

    If you need to set jumpers depends on you HD type.

    Grub will usually be on the MBR of the HD the BIOS boots from
    (probably the first HD), and entries in menu.lst need to point to the
    Linux / and to the Windows partition. (If you're working with UUIDs
    or with device names depends on the Ub' version.)

    IMO if there is a Grub already in the boot-MBR you need to update it,
    else you need to install it. Make sure you know how to do this from a
    bootable CD. Better be a Grub expert before you try.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  8. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "franz fripplfrappl" wrote:
    >I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    With 2 HDs in your PC, the hard drive that is at the head of the
    HD boot order will control booting. In some BIOSes, the HD boot
    order is an ordered list of the HDs in the system, in other BIOSes,
    the boot drive is specifically enabled as such. Once the Windows OS
    has been activated, you can switch between HDs by setting which is
    the boot HD in the BIOS, and the OS on the boot drive will load.

    Later on, you can spend time learning how to add a "foreign OS"
    entry to the boot menus of the Windows OS and the Linux OS. It's
    actually quite simple if you know how - with Linux, just add an entry
    to /boot/grub/menu.lst that points to the Windows partition, and in
    \boot.ini (in XP) or using bcdedit (in Vista), you can add a pointer
    to Window's boot menu that points to the Linux partition.

    *TimDaniels*

  9. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:54:51 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Later on, you can spend time learning how to add a "foreign OS"
    > entry to the boot menus of the Windows OS and the Linux OS. It's

    sudo apt-get install startupmanager

    After that command you will have a new program under:

    System > Administration > Startup-Manager

    Makes it a bit easier and less error-prone to edit your grub-menus

  10. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
    >I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died
    >but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the
    > Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each
    > with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows
    > first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    I'm currently have a box that was configured in situation like yours,
    i.e. Ubuntu was installed and then the second HDD was added to the
    system with existing Windows installation on it.

    The only difference is that my Windows was installed in the same
    system, so I had no worry whether it starts or not.

    In you case here what you should do.

    1. Disconnect your Ubuntu HDD and plug in your Windows HDD instead.
    Boot into your Windows to ensure your Windows does not have any
    problems with the new box. If every thing is fine then move to step
    2.

    2. Disconnect Windows HDD and plug back your Ubuntu drive.

    3. Connect your Windows HDD the way you want. You can make it slave
    to your Ubuntu drive or you can connect it to a secondary IDE or SATA
    controller, whatever your drives/controllers are.

    I tried both configurations and both work.

    4. Then boot into Ubuntu and edit you /boot/grub/menu.lst file adding
    to it a section like this:

    Windows XP Pro
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

    5. Restart your system and boot into the system you choose from the
    menu.

    This will work whether you make your second drive slave or you make it
    primary on the second controller.

    With this changes GRUB will find you Windows MBR and boots your
    Windows. Windows in its turn will think it is installed on the first
    drive/partition and will not complain.

  11. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    John Yates wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    >> the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows
    >> box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's
    >> each with its own OS.
    >>
    >> I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    >> and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?
    >>

    > Grub.
    > Boot from the Ubuntu disk and edit menu.lst to add your windows disk.
    > Very straightforward.

    will i find menu first in /etc ??

    if not , where, and how do i search for files across all directories,
    its easy in windoze

    andrew

  12. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    * andrew fox wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > will i find menu first in /etc ??

    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Thats an L not a one

    man find

    --
    David

  13. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Changing grub as others have suggested will fix the boot load sequence,
    but Windows (XP?) needs to be set to run on a different hardware.

    The easiest way to do that, short of a new install is to do a "repair
    install" (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm).

    This is the first thing I would do in your shoes, after removing the
    Linux drive and setting the Windows drive to boot

    Good luck

  14. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "Thomas Jespersen" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> Later on, you can spend time learning how to add a "foreign OS"
    >> entry to the boot menus of the Windows OS and the Linux OS. It's

    > sudo apt-get install startupmanager
    >
    > After that command you will have a new program under:
    >
    > System > Administration > Startup-Manager
    >
    > Makes it a bit easier and less error-prone to edit your grub-menus

    Thanks for the command-line utility method. I'll file that one away.
    I'm a Linux newbie, but I started out dual-booting Linux/Vista on the
    same hard drive by manually editing the Grub boot menu. It was painful,
    but I may have learned more that way.

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "franz fripplfrappl" wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu.
    > [......]
    > How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Which Windows OS you have would make a difference.

    *TimDaniels*

  16. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "Thomas Jespersen" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:54:51 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >

    >> Later on, you can spend time learning how to add a "foreign OS"
    >> entry to the boot menus of the Windows OS and the Linux OS. It's

    > sudo apt-get install startupmanager
    >
    > After that command you will have a new program under:
    >
    > System > Administration > Startup-Manager
    >
    > Makes it a bit easier and less error-prone to edit your grub-menus

    Its so hard to edit the grub menu...damn, its what linux users used to hate
    about Windows....coming to a Linux distro near you

  17. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:24:22 -0400, Hobbes wrote:

    > Its so hard to edit the grub menu...damn, its what linux users used to
    > hate about Windows....coming to a Linux distro near you

    What? Linux users hate something is easy? Since when?

    There might be some people who thinks that way, but I think you are
    mistaken if you think most Linux users think like that.

  18. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "Laszlo Lebrun" wrote:
    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    -----------------------------------
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but the HD
    > is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box and install
    > it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and then
    > Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    -----------------------------------

    By the way: if your current system is working well with the windows disk
    in it, you may try to use the Linux disk in a USB case and set the BIOS
    to boot first USB, than CD, than HD.
    I have it set up in that way. Whenever I want to run Linux (and even
    OS-X ;-)), I just plug the corresponding drive in USB and reboot. (so i
    can keep my company-owned notebook clean and free from any personal stuff)

    Don't try however to boot your Windows from USB, that won't work :-(
    --

    Is there any particular requirement in Ubuntu for it to boot from
    a USB device rather than a hard drive? What is it about Ubuntu (or

    *TimDaniels*

  19. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    Thomas Jespersen wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:24:22 -0400, Hobbes wrote:
    >
    >> Its so hard to edit the grub menu...damn, its what linux users used to
    >> hate about Windows....coming to a Linux distro near you

    > What? Linux users hate something is easy? Since when?
    >
    > There might be some people who thinks that way, but I think you are
    > mistaken if you think most Linux users think like that.

    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst is hard ?

  20. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    "Niklaus Kuehnis" wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    >> the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    >> and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    >> its own OS.

    >> I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    >> and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    > AFAIK if Windows will boot from second HD depends on the Windows
    > version.

    NT/2K/XP/Vista can be loaded from a 2nd/3rd/4th hard drive.
    Whether 2nd/3rd/4th hard drive can be the the boot hard drive
    depends on the BIOS, but nearly all can.

    *TimDaniels*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast