How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's - Ubuntu ; franz fripplfrappl wrote: > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box > and install it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    As I do if your hardware will let you, well the BIOS to be precise.

    As my system boots, I get an option to select boot device by pressing
    F11. I then select the Windows Drive to boot from.

    Ram

  2. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On 2008-07-18, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    > the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows box
    > and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's each with
    > its own OS.
    >
    > I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first and
    > then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Are you planning a fresh install of Windows, or are you hoping that
    your existing install on that drive will work in the new system?

    Either way, the answer is the same. Put in the drive, set it as the
    master, and your existing drive as the slave (or if they are SATA, set
    the new drive as the first drive, and the old one as second. [Now
    install Windows on the drive if that is your plan, if not hope and
    pray that it works right... ;-)]. Once you are able to boot to the
    Windows drive OK, download the SuperGRUB boot CD, boot to it and set
    up grub on that Windows drive (primary boot disk) in the MBR, and set
    up the menu.lst in /boot/grub to reflect your new drive assignments.
    You'll also need to update your drive assignments in /etc/fstab if you
    are using the drive designations instead of UUID or labels...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On 2008-07-18, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > else you need to install it. Make sure you know how to do this from a
    > bootable CD. Better be a Grub expert before you try.

    No need to be an expert. Just use the SuperGRUB disk. It makes it
    pretty easy.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: How to set up dual boot with 2 HD's

    On 2008-07-18, Laszlo Lebrun hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * franz fripplfrappl wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I have a Windows box and one for Ubuntu. The Windows box has died but
    >>> the HD is still intact. I would like to take the HD from the Windows
    >>> box and install it in the box for Ubuntu. I would then have 2 HD's
    >>> each with its own OS.
    >>>
    >>> I've had dual boot systems before where I would install Windows first
    >>> and then Linux. How does one set up dual boot in my situation?

    Franz this is rather simple.

    Connect the "M$" drive as "master" change the Gnu/Linux (Ubuntu) to
    slave.

    See if you need to do a repair install if M$ doesn't boot.
    If it does fine, if not disconnect the Ubuntu drive and just
    leave the one drive. Install M$ if you must get yourself a
    Grub-Live CD and reconnect your Ubuntu drive.

    Or if you are more experienced you can just use the Ubuntu
    CD-Rom and then use it to install grub onto the first HDD, because
    grub will not be installed or be erased if you install M$.

    >> It is unlikely that windows will boot properly and/or not need activation
    >> if you are moving the drive to another piece of hardware even if the boxes
    >> have 'identical' hardware.
    >>

    > if the boxes have 'identical' hardware, the target will boot correctly.
    > The activation topic depends on which Windows version (Pro or Home,
    > Retail or OEM) very probably not an issue. Anyhow reactivating it is not
    > a problem either.
    >
    > Regarding dual-boot Grub should handle the 2nd disk without any problem,
    > but i did not try.

    This is correct, if the bios supports it one can boot a
    installation on any drive in the PC. I used to boot with my
    older PC from /dev/hde4 for example, but this BIOS doesn't
    give me the change to boot from any drive connected to my
    raid-card, only from /dev/hdaX or /dev/hdbX.

    > > Laszlo

    Dragomir Kollaric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2