Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; I just purchased a new Shuttle XPC XN68PTG6 Deluxe with Nvidia chipset. I am trying to install HH 8.04 in ether 32 or 64 bit versions. The install seems to start normally but hangs and research hints at disabling the ...

  1. Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu?

    I just purchased a new Shuttle XPC XN68PTG6 Deluxe with Nvidia
    chipset. I am trying to install HH 8.04 in ether 32 or 64 bit
    versions. The install seems to start normally but hangs and research
    hints at disabling the ACPI. In this system's BIOS configure there is
    a space defining it but it cannot be selected as it is grayed-out.

    Has anyone been able to effectively turn off ACPI in this (or similar
    Phoenix Aware 6.00SP BIOS) systems?

    Thanks - Bob

  2. Re: Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu?

    bobmct wrote:
    > I just purchased a new Shuttle XPC XN68PTG6 Deluxe with Nvidia
    > chipset. I am trying to install HH 8.04 in ether 32 or 64 bit
    > versions. The install seems to start normally but hangs and research
    > hints at disabling the ACPI. In this system's BIOS configure there is
    > a space defining it but it cannot be selected as it is grayed-out.

    > Has anyone been able to effectively turn off ACPI in this (or similar
    > Phoenix Aware 6.00SP BIOS) systems?

    Have you tried adding noacpi or acpi=off to the boot options? See:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu?

    In article <488070c8$0$16181$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >bobmct wrote:
    >> I just purchased a new Shuttle XPC XN68PTG6 Deluxe with Nvidia
    >> chipset. I am trying to install HH 8.04 in ether 32 or 64 bit
    >> versions. The install seems to start normally but hangs and research
    >> hints at disabling the ACPI. In this system's BIOS configure there is
    >> a space defining it but it cannot be selected as it is grayed-out.

    >> Has anyone been able to effectively turn off ACPI in this (or similar
    >> Phoenix Aware 6.00SP BIOS) systems?

    >Have you tried adding noacpi or acpi=off to the boot options? See:
    >https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

    As an aside, I tried that with 7.10 without success. Turning it off in the
    bios worked. That said, I think the bios called it APCI or something similar
    ... so maybe look for that instead ?

  4. Re: Slightly OT: how to disable ACPI in a new Shuttle XPC to linstall 8.04 Ubuntu?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:37:45 GMT,
    bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <488070c8$0$16181$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >>bobmct wrote:
    >>> I just purchased a new Shuttle XPC XN68PTG6 Deluxe with Nvidia
    >>> chipset. I am trying to install HH 8.04 in ether 32 or 64 bit
    >>> versions. The install seems to start normally but hangs and research
    >>> hints at disabling the ACPI. In this system's BIOS configure there is
    >>> a space defining it but it cannot be selected as it is grayed-out.

    >>> Has anyone been able to effectively turn off ACPI in this (or similar
    >>> Phoenix Aware 6.00SP BIOS) systems?

    >>Have you tried adding noacpi or acpi=off to the boot options? See:
    >>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

    >As an aside, I tried that with 7.10 without success. Turning it off in the
    >bios worked. That said, I think the bios called it APCI or something similar
    >.. so maybe look for that instead ?

    FYI - after four extremely frustrating unsuccessful days I finally
    pulled the components and literally trashed the XPC. I will look for
    a different AM2 SFF system to install these components into BUT I will
    be sure that the BIOS supports disabling APCI.

    Moral: DON'T BUY SHUTTLE. Especially for Linux!

+ Reply to Thread