Power management questions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Power management questions - Ubuntu ; I have the latest version of Ubuntu with all current updates installed on a desktop. I would like to use the Power Management feature found in System --> Preferences --> Power Management applet. When I set to 20 minutes, the ...

  1. Power management questions

    I have the latest version of Ubuntu with all current updates installed on
    a desktop.

    I would like to use the Power Management feature found in System -->
    Preferences --> Power Management applet. When I set to 20 minutes, the
    monitor and computer go to sleep but fail to reawaken without a hard
    boot.

    What have I missed?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: Power management questions

    "franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
    >I have the latest version of Ubuntu with all current updates installed on
    > a desktop.
    >
    > I would like to use the Power Management feature found in System -->
    > Preferences --> Power Management applet. When I set to 20 minutes, the
    > monitor and computer go to sleep but fail to reawaken without a hard
    > boot.
    >
    > What have I missed?
    >

    > --

    > Franz Fripplfrappl

    You didn't miss anything.
    Just another "quirk" of ubuntu.

    If you need reliabilty, try ...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...a/default.aspx

  3. Re: Power management questions

    * Hobbes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
    >>I have the latest version of Ubuntu with all current updates installed
    >>on
    >> a desktop.
    >>
    >> I would like to use the Power Management feature found in System -->
    >> Preferences --> Power Management applet. When I set to 20 minutes,
    >> the monitor and computer go to sleep but fail to reawaken without a
    >> hard boot.
    >>
    >> What have I missed?
    >>

    > You didn't miss anything.
    > Just another "quirk" of ubuntu.

    Uhm, Yeah, OK Troll boi.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acpi

    "The Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification, an
    open industry standard first released in December 1996 (developed by HP,
    Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba) "

    Well lookie lookie....

    Also see:

    Criticism

    * The complex and lengthy ACPI specification (over 600 pages long)
    contains multiple components, including declarative tables, an
    imperative bytecode, and specific hardware components. Concerns have
    been repeatedly raised[3] that an implementation of ACPI has to run
    complex, untrusted and potentially buggy bytecode with full
    privileges, thus potentially making any system that implements ACPI
    unstable and/or insecure.

    [...]

    Nah, MS would NEVER be behind something like that, Unstable and
    Insecure.

    *snicker*

    --
    David