Restrict app to use only single core - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Restrict app to use only single core - Ubuntu ; I have a multi core system and in order to do performance profiling I would like to restrict Matlab to use no more than one of the available cores. Is there a way to do this at the OS level? ...

  1. Restrict app to use only single core

    I have a multi core system and in order to do performance profiling I
    would like to restrict Matlab to use no more than one of the available
    cores. Is there a way to do this at the OS level? Matlab can restrict
    itself to a single thread but this isn't the same. Other OS's refer to
    this capability as the "Processor Affinity".

    Thanks,
    Curt

  2. Re: Restrict app to use only single core

    > I have a multi core system and in order to do performance profiling I
    > would like to restrict Matlab to use no more than one of the available
    > cores. Is there a way to do this at the OS level? Matlab can restrict
    > itself to a single thread but this isn't the same. Other OS's refer to
    > this capability as the "Processor Affinity".

    http://librenix.com/?inode=8829

    toylet@server:~$ apt-cache search affinity
    schedtool - Queries/alters process' scheduling policy and CPU affinity

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  3. Re: Restrict app to use only single core

    Curt wrote:
    > I have a multi core system and in order to do performance profiling I
    > would like to restrict Matlab to use no more than one of the available
    > cores. Is there a way to do this at the OS level? Matlab can restrict
    > itself to a single thread but this isn't the same. Other OS's refer to
    > this capability as the "Processor Affinity".

    http://librenix.com/?inode=8829

    toylet@server:~$ apt-cache search affinity
    schedtool - Queries/alters process' scheduling policy and CPU affinity

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 18:27:01 up 3 days 21:53 3 users load average: 1.17 1.05 1.01
    (CSSA):

  4. Re: Restrict app to use only single core

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:28:15 +0800
    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed.

+ Reply to Thread