update question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on update question - Ubuntu ; Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place. Updates still ...

  1. update question

    Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.

    Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

  2. Re: update question

    jrg wrote:
    > Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    > decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    > couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.
    >
    > Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    > is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    Pin the version you have installed and it won't prompt you to update.

  3. Re: update question

    jrg wrote:
    > Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    > decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    > couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.

    > Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    > is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    Could you please be a bit more vague about what packages are
    supposed to be upgraded?

    --
    Niklaus

  4. Re: update question

    jrg wrote:
    > Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    > decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    > couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.
    >
    > Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    > is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    Evolution is a gnome/Novell groupware suite which is integrated with a lot
    of pieces and parts and plugins and several different affiliated packages,
    so there is a 'swarm' (many scores) of dependencies and installed files,
    backend database and library servers, etc. Since significant numbers of
    those dependencies and files would remain, then they would periodically
    need updating.

    Did you search on 'evolution' in synaptic and see if there were other
    'evolution-dash' (or evolution-related) packages which could/should be
    removed? I see a lot of evolution-ish packages.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: update question

    On 07/17/2008 09:44 AM clay scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:
    >> Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    >> decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    >> couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.
    >>
    >> Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    >> is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    > Pin the version you have installed and it won't prompt you to update.

    The version I had installed was uninstalled.
    I don't grok pin but as I stated I have already /completely/ removed
    evolution save for the gnome dependent parts as dictated by synaptic...
    Maybe I shouldn't have done that but I did - thought it was only a
    simple package...

  6. Re: update question

    On 07/17/2008 09:55 AM Niklaus Kuehnis scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:
    >> Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    >> decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    >> couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.

    >> Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    >> is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    > Could you please be a bit more vague about what packages are
    > supposed to be upgraded?

    sorry, thought folks here see the same updates I see, it being a ubuntu
    group and all...

    Since I don't use evolution, don't even like it, I thought I'd just
    uninstall it and be done with it. As Mike E. as posted, this may be
    opening a can of worms, given the evolution tie in to gnome and all.
    As noted, synaptic dutifully noted items needed for gnome and I left
    them alone - maybe this isn't doable, dunno...

    update manager says updates available for:

    evolution-data-server-common
    and a dozen lib files...

  7. Re: update question

    On 07/17/2008 09:59 AM Mike Easter scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:
    >> Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    >> decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    >> couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.
    >>
    >> Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    >> is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    > Evolution is a gnome/Novell groupware suite which is integrated with a lot
    > of pieces and parts and plugins and several different affiliated packages,
    > so there is a 'swarm' (many scores) of dependencies and installed files,
    > backend database and library servers, etc. Since significant numbers of
    > those dependencies and files would remain, then they would periodically
    > need updating.
    >
    > Did you search on 'evolution' in synaptic and see if there were other
    > 'evolution-dash' (or evolution-related) packages which could/should be
    > removed? I see a lot of evolution-ish packages.

    I started by asking synaptic to remove evolution and was informed of the
    dependencies you note. I dutifully left off those dependencies and
    removed the non-offending evolution packages.

    This strikes me of the old windoze problem of removing IE...

  8. Re: update question

    jrg wrote:
    > On 07/17/2008 09:55 AM Niklaus Kuehnis scribbled:

    > > jrg wrote:
    > >> Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    > >> decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    > >> couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.

    > >> Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    > >> is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    > > Could you please be a bit more vague about what packages are
    > > supposed to be upgraded?
    > >

    > sorry, thought folks here see the same updates I see, it being a ubuntu
    > group and all...

    > Since I don't use evolution, don't even like it, I thought I'd just
    > uninstall it and be done with it. As Mike E. as posted, this may be
    > opening a can of worms, given the evolution tie in to gnome and all.
    > As noted, synaptic dutifully noted items needed for gnome and I left
    > them alone - maybe this isn't doable, dunno...

    > update manager says updates available for:

    > evolution-data-server-common

    is needed by libdataserverui1.2-8 which again is needed by
    gnome-panel.

    You can do
    apt-cache showpkg
    and check all the reverse-dependencies and their reverse-dependencies etc.

    You can also do
    apt-get --simulate remove
    to see what it would do.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  9. Re: update question

    jrg illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 07/17/2008 09:55 AM Niklaus Kuehnis scribbled:
    >
    >> jrg wrote:
    >>> Got notice of updates available for evolution, which I don't use, so I
    >>> decided to uninstall the software via synaptic. Went ok, told me a
    >>> couple of evolution files needed for gnome so I left them in place.

    >>> Updates still comes up with evolution updates available so it obviously
    >>> is seeing something I thought was removed - how does one change this?

    >> Could you please be a bit more vague about what packages are
    >> supposed to be upgraded?
    >>

    > sorry, thought folks here see the same updates I see, it being a ubuntu
    > group and all...
    >
    > Since I don't use evolution, don't even like it, I thought I'd just
    > uninstall it and be done with it. As Mike E. as posted, this may be
    > opening a can of worms, given the evolution tie in to gnome and all.
    > As noted, synaptic dutifully noted items needed for gnome and I left
    > them alone - maybe this isn't doable, dunno...
    >
    > update manager says updates available for:
    >
    > evolution-data-server-common
    > and a dozen lib files...

    The easy answer?

    They're being used by another application.

    Evolution and Gnome use a lot of each others libs and programs.

    If you have uninstalled Evolution, then only the parts of evolution
    required by other applications are needed, and subsequently, will be
    updated when updates become available.

    If you really feel that you *must* have no evolution connected packages
    installed, then run Xubuntu. That will achieve your wish. ;-)

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  10. Re: update question

    jrg wrote:

    > evolution-data-server-common

    I've noticed this one can't be removed [simply anyway] without Gnome
    Desktop wanting to go with-it.
    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  11. Re: update question

    On 2008-07-18, Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > jrg wrote:
    >
    >> evolution-data-server-common

    > I've noticed this one can't be removed [simply anyway] without Gnome
    > Desktop wanting to go with-it.

    So, run Xubuntu or Fluxbox, or some other Window Manager/Desktop
    Environment...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  12. Re: update question

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-18, Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >> jrg wrote:
    >>
    >>> evolution-data-server-common

    >> I've noticed this one can't be removed [simply anyway] without
    >> Gnome
    >> Desktop wanting to go with-it.

    > So, run Xubuntu or Fluxbox, or some other Window Manager/Desktop
    > Environment...

    Actually I'm currently running KDE, Xfce, Gnome, and WinXP all on 2
    PC's and many different partitions, I beginning to like Xfce..its fast
    and easy to use.
    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  13. Re: update question

    On 2008-07-19, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > "Joe" wrote in message

    >>> I've noticed this one can't be removed [simply anyway] without
    >>> Gnome
    >>> Desktop wanting to go with-it.

    >> So, run Xubuntu or Fluxbox, or some other Window Manager/Desktop
    >> Environment...
    >>

    > Actually I'm currently running KDE, Xfce, Gnome, and WinXP all on 2
    > PC's and many different partitions, I beginning to like Xfce..its fast
    > and easy to use.

    I didn't really like any of the lightweight options, but I also never
    really gave them much time for a fair chance...

    I have been using Gnome for man years now, so it is like home...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  14. Re: update question

    Joe wrote:

    >> Actually I'm currently running KDE, Xfce, Gnome, and WinXP all on 2
    >> PC's and many different partitions, I beginning to like Xfce..its
    >> fast and easy to use.

    > I didn't really like any of the lightweight options, but I also never
    > really gave them much time for a fair chance...
    >
    > I have been using Gnome for man years now, so it is like home...

    I think Xfce is at its best on older PC's with less ram, video memory,
    and slower hard drives.
    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  15. Re: update question

    In <1320817.lr82OG5txp@spooker> Patrick Phillips:

    [Snip...]

    > I think Xfce is at its best on older PC's with less ram, video memory,
    > and slower hard drives.

    Yes, although I have much more experience with twm and prefer it myself
    for almost any X apps I need. In fact, I generally prefer twm even with
    plenty of resources for "heavier" X managers/desktops. I don't recall a
    case where apps like konqueror, kmail, firefox (etc.) didn't perform OK
    in twm (given sufficient basic RAM, CPU, etc. for bloat like kmail).

    Anyway, a template ~/.twmrc file, if anyone happens to be interested:

    http://www.tecneeq.de/files/dotfiles...arsten/_.twmrc

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  16. Re: update question

    On 07/18/2008 12:31 PM Moog scribbled:

    >> update manager says updates available for:
    >>
    >> evolution-data-server-common
    >> and a dozen lib files...

    > The easy answer?
    >
    > They're being used by another application.
    >
    > Evolution and Gnome use a lot of each others libs and programs.
    >
    > If you have uninstalled Evolution, then only the parts of evolution
    > required by other applications are needed, and subsequently, will be
    > updated when updates become available.
    >
    > If you really feel that you *must* have no evolution connected packages
    > installed, then run Xubuntu. That will achieve your wish. ;-)

    thanks for the input guys - I never felt I /must/ not have evolution. I
    was figuring that if not using it at all, I wouldn't be bothered by
    updates.
    At the time I was unaware of the gnome/evolution relationship, until the
    messages of dependencies started to show up.

    I now know better..

  17. Re: update question

    On 07/18/2008 12:31 PM Moog scribbled:

    >> update manager says updates available for:
    >>
    >> evolution-data-server-common
    >> and a dozen lib files...

    > The easy answer?
    >
    > They're being used by another application.
    >
    > Evolution and Gnome use a lot of each others libs and programs.
    >
    > If you have uninstalled Evolution, then only the parts of evolution
    > required by other applications are needed, and subsequently, will be
    > updated when updates become available.
    >
    > If you really feel that you *must* have no evolution connected packages
    > installed, then run Xubuntu. That will achieve your wish. ;-)

    thanks for the input guys - I never felt I /must/ not have evolution. I
    was figuring that if not using it at all, I wouldn't be bothered by
    updates.
    At the time I was unaware of the gnome/evolution relationship, until the
    messages of dependencies started to show up.

    I now know better..

  18. Re: update question

    On 07/18/2008 12:31 PM Moog scribbled:

    >> update manager says updates available for:
    >>
    >> evolution-data-server-common
    >> and a dozen lib files...

    > The easy answer?
    >
    > They're being used by another application.
    >
    > Evolution and Gnome use a lot of each others libs and programs.
    >
    > If you have uninstalled Evolution, then only the parts of evolution
    > required by other applications are needed, and subsequently, will be
    > updated when updates become available.
    >
    > If you really feel that you *must* have no evolution connected packages
    > installed, then run Xubuntu. That will achieve your wish. ;-)

    thanks for the input guys - I never felt I /must/ not have evolution. I
    was figuring that if not using it at all, I wouldn't be bothered by
    updates.
    At the time I was unaware of the gnome/evolution relationship, until the
    messages of dependencies started to show up.

    I now know better..

  19. Re: update question

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:16:33 -0500, Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > jrg wrote:
    >
    >> evolution-data-server-common

    > I've noticed this one can't be removed [simply anyway] without Gnome
    > Desktop wanting to go with-it.

    'equivs' - once figured out - can handle that irritating dependency quite
    easily! You can make metapackages with it that satisfy any depends/
    suggests/recommends/provides/replaces/conflicts you want.

+ Reply to Thread