Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit? - Ubuntu ; I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can use more than 4 GB of RAM. My question is how hard is it to ...

  1. Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit
    Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can
    use more than 4 GB of RAM.

    My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    reinstall.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:

    > I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit Linux
    > installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can use more
    > than 4 GB of RAM.
    >
    > My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    > replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    > reinstall.

    It's a completely new install.

    Why would you want to downgrade? If you have 4G or more you are better
    off with the 64 bit version.

  3. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:

    > My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    > replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    > reinstall.

    I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    do you gain with that move?

    Rui Maciel

  4. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:04:38 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >
    >> I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit
    >> Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can
    >> use more than 4 GB of RAM.
    >>
    >> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >> reinstall.

    > It's a completely new install.
    >
    > Why would you want to downgrade? If you have 4G or more you are better
    > off with the 64 bit version.

    (x-posting headers removed and reply onto to a.o.l.ubuntu)

    My AMD64 box with 4GB of RAM was doing fine using the various 64-bit
    versions. Several months ago I came across an article which said
    something along the line that unless you were doing some work requiring a
    64-bit kernel, it doesn't much matter which, 32 or 64.

    So, I went ahead and reinstalled along side of the existing 64-bit
    package. I've seen no difference in performance or other functions with
    the exception that some Firefox extensions work out of the box without
    tweaking.

    Since that time I deleted the 64-bit system and now run exclusively the
    32-bit.

    Of course, YMMV,

    Cheers,

    Dave

  5. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On 2008-07-17, Rui Maciel wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >
    >> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >> reinstall.

    > I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    > do you gain with that move?

    Java and stuff like that would work better on my desktop.

    I have a 64 bit server that periodically freezes.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On 2008-07-17, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-17, Rui Maciel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >>
    >>> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >>> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >>> reinstall.

    >> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >> do you gain with that move?

    > Java and stuff like that would work better on my desktop.
    >
    > I have a 64 bit server that periodically freezes.

    Like anything else... you have 3rd party support issues.

    If you have no proprietary binaries, I don't see it as a big deal
    either way though. The possibility that I might need some binary only
    32-bit library or plugin is what keeps most of my machines 32-bit.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  7. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    > I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit
    > Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can
    > use more than 4 GB of RAM.
    >
    > My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    > replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    > reinstall.

    You probably wouldn't be able to just install different packages, not
    without breaking a lot of things anyway, if it is at all possible.

    And since you've just discovered that 32bit can indeed support more than
    4GB RAM, make sure that your specific CPU model does support PAE, or
    it'll be a waste of time and you won't be able to use all of your RAM.

  8. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On 2008-07-17, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:04:38 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit
    >>> Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can
    >>> use more than 4 GB of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >>> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >>> reinstall.

    >> It's a completely new install.
    >>
    >> Why would you want to downgrade? If you have 4G or more you are better
    >> off with the 64 bit version.

    > (x-posting headers removed and reply onto to a.o.l.ubuntu)
    >

    > My AMD64 box with 4GB of RAM was doing fine using the various 64-bit
    > versions. Several months ago I came across an article which said
    > something along the line that unless you were doing some work requiring a
    > 64-bit kernel, it doesn't much matter which, 32 or 64.
    >
    > So, I went ahead and reinstalled along side of the existing 64-bit
    > package. I've seen no difference in performance or other functions with
    > the exception that some Firefox extensions work out of the box without
    > tweaking.
    >
    > Since that time I deleted the 64-bit system and now run exclusively the
    > 32-bit.
    >
    > Of course, YMMV,

    I found a noticeable (but not mind-blowing) performance improvement
    when using 64-Bit Ubuntu, but I went back to 32 Bit for the same
    reasons. Too many things that just don't work quite right because of
    closed-source propietary BS (Adobe & Sun, Mostly).

    So, I'll stick with the 32 Bit version (and have actually moved to
    Mint rather than straight Hardy for 2 of my machines) until the last
    few minor roadblocks are removed for good desktop use of 64 Bit.

    I still use 64 Bit for my servers. They don't use a GUI most of the
    time anyhow, and I don't browse the web with them, so those minor
    irritants don't exist there...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  9. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    "Ignoramus20788" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-17, Rui Maciel wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >>
    >>> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >>> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >>> reinstall.

    >> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >> do you gain with that move?

    > Java and stuff like that would work better on my desktop.
    >
    > I have a 64 bit server that periodically freezes.

    I suspect that if you tried anything other than a full re-install
    you'd wind up chasing down so many issues that you'd wish
    you had done a full re-install. Unless someone can tell you
    that they did it successfully and here's how, I wouldn't even
    consider it.

    However, you might consider whether it's possible to replace
    your unsuccessful 64 bit packages with alternatives. If your
    Java requirements aren't too demanding, you might get by
    with an open source Java package.

    It's ironic isn't it that Sun, which has been selling 64 bit
    computers since before Linux was available that way, has
    problems with 64 bit Java? - Assuming Sun's Java really
    is the cause of your crashes, something that can be very
    hard to establish for sure.

    Alan

  10. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    > On 2008-07-17, Rui Maciel wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:56:01 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    >>

    >>> My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    >>> replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    >>> reinstall.
    >>>

    >> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >> do you gain with that move?
    >>

    > Java and stuff like that would work better on my desktop.
    >
    > I have a 64 bit server that periodically freezes.

    What kind of "server" is it?

    I.e., what services is it running?

    --
    John

  11. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    Ignoramus20788 wrote:
    > I am very seriously considering downgrading my Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit
    > Linux installs to 32 bit, now that I have discovered that 32 bit can
    > use more than 4 GB of RAM.
    >
    > My question is how hard is it to do. Ideally, I would love to just
    > replace packages and reboot, or something like that, without a full
    > reinstall.

    My question would be more in the line of why did you feel the need to
    crosspost this message, when it clearly mentions "downgrading my Ubuntu
    Hardy"?

    --
    John

  12. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    On 2008-07-18, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus20788 wrote:

    >>> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >>> do you gain with that move?
    >>>

    >> Java and stuff like that would work better on my desktop.
    >>
    >> I have a 64 bit server that periodically freezes.

    > What kind of "server" is it?
    >
    > I.e., what services is it running?

    samba, nfs, apache, a bunch of cron jobs and custom perl scripts.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    In article <487f5398$0$11801$a729d347@news.telepac.pt>,
    Rui Maciel wrote:
    > I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    > do you gain with that move?

    Efficiency.

    I've got a 64-bit system at work running 32-but Ubuntu, because when I
    ran 64-bit Ubuntu, I didn't have enough memory for some of my scripts to
    run. Perl scripts that read log files, parse them, and build data
    structures representing the logs, tend to use 50-100% more memory on
    64-bit systems.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  14. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    > In article <487f5398$0$11801$a729d347@news.telepac.pt>,
    > Rui Maciel wrote:
    >> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >> do you gain with that move?

    > Efficiency.
    >
    > I've got a 64-bit system at work running 32-but Ubuntu, because when I
    > ran 64-bit Ubuntu, I didn't have enough memory for some of my scripts to
    > run. Perl scripts that read log files, parse them, and build data
    > structures representing the logs, tend to use 50-100% more memory on
    > 64-bit systems.

    No one knows how to write a good tape-sort these days .

    --
    MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX!
    Please, don't drink and derive.

  15. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article <487f5398$0$11801$a729d347@news.telepac.pt>,
    >> Rui Maciel wrote:
    >>> I believe that the question you should ask yourself is this: what exactly
    >>> do you gain with that move?

    >> Efficiency.
    >>
    >> I've got a 64-bit system at work running 32-but Ubuntu, because when I
    >> ran 64-bit Ubuntu, I didn't have enough memory for some of my scripts to
    >> run. Perl scripts that read log files, parse them, and build data
    >> structures representing the logs, tend to use 50-100% more memory on
    >> 64-bit systems.

    > No one knows how to write a good tape-sort these days .

    :-)

  16. Re: Downgrading from 64 bit to 32 bit?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > No one knows how to write a good tape-sort these days .

    Use the algorithms from the old 1st and 2nd generation computers. The tape
    sorts worked very well for us.

+ Reply to Thread