Mobo trouble? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mobo trouble? - Ubuntu ; I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would not boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot. Power supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the ...

  1. Mobo trouble?

    I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would not
    boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot. Power
    supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the mobo
    that's lit.

    I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: Mobo trouble?

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would not
    > boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot. Power
    > supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the mobo
    > that's lit.
    >
    > I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    Any boot beep sequence? If so, read your motherboard manual or Google
    the motherboard and "POST" to see what the code is.

    No beeps means POST was never reached.

    Try unplugging the hard drive and booting. If it still is dead, unplug
    the floppy and CD/DVD drive(s), then try removing all other PCI/ISA
    cards. Could be one is pulling down one supply line.

    With all cards and drives disconnected, you should get the POST beep. If
    not, it could be the BIOS, CPU, or one of the other power supply lines
    that doesn't supply the green motherboard power warning LED. Check with
    a voltmeter. Reseat the BIOS chip and the CPU. Do you see any domed
    capacitors?

    --
    John

  3. Re: Mobo trouble?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:32:08 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would
    >> not boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot.
    >> Power supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the
    >> mobo that's lit.
    >>
    >> I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    > Any boot beep sequence? If so, read your motherboard manual or Google
    > the motherboard and "POST" to see what the code is.
    >
    > No beeps means POST was never reached.
    >
    > Try unplugging the hard drive and booting. If it still is dead, unplug
    > the floppy and CD/DVD drive(s), then try removing all other PCI/ISA
    > cards. Could be one is pulling down one supply line.
    >
    > With all cards and drives disconnected, you should get the POST beep. If
    > not, it could be the BIOS, CPU, or one of the other power supply lines
    > that doesn't supply the green motherboard power warning LED. Check with
    > a voltmeter. Reseat the BIOS chip and the CPU. Do you see any domed
    > capacitors?

    Thanks for the checklist. This will help me considerably.

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  4. Re: Mobo trouble?

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > Thanks for the checklist. This will help me considerably.

    Don't forget about the RAM.

    --
    Niklaus

  5. Re: Mobo trouble?

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would not
    > boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot. Power
    > supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the mobo
    > that's lit.
    >
    > I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    Could be. If it's ~5-7 years old, it could be bad capacitors on the
    board. Look for bulging/doming/leaking. If you see that, you can stop
    there. Otherwise, follow John F.'s checklist.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. Re: Mobo trouble?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:55:39 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would
    >> not boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot.
    >> Power supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the
    >> mobo that's lit.
    >>
    >> I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    > Could be. If it's ~5-7 years old, it could be bad capacitors on the
    > board. Look for bulging/doming/leaking. If you see that, you can stop
    > there. Otherwise, follow John F.'s checklist.

    I checked capacitors and found one with what looks like thin blothcy
    spots as though something leaked and dried.

    Heck, I wanted a new mobo anyway, right?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  7. Re: Mobo trouble?

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would not
    > boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot. Power
    > supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on the mobo
    > that's lit.
    >
    > I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    Not well skilled to answer this
    But I have just (yesterday) been through a problem which showed
    similar symptoms
    I was getting ready to start removing / replacing bits and pieces
    Then consulted No.1 son
    Who fiddled with the monitor controls (on light worked etc)
    But the settings buttons did not (and of course I had not tried them)
    Long story short; replaced monitor and computer did boot up and show
    BIOS settings, ubuntu loaded etc - and of course I am typing this
    from same machine.

    justa thought
    justwilliem

  8. Re: Mobo trouble?

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for the checklist. This will help me considerably.
    >>

    > Don't forget about the RAM.

    True -- it could be RAM, but the BIOS will beep if RAM is removed.

    Removing the RAM would at least show if the RAM was keeping the POST
    from running. I'm not sure Franz was aware of the various coded POST
    beeping that can tell where a problem is likely to be.

    To "prove" the RAM, something like the memtest86+ program on the LiveCD
    can be used -- if the PC will boot the CD of course.

    --
    John

  9. Re: Mobo trouble?

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I came home last night to find a blank screen. Ubuntu computer would
    >> not boot nor would it display the usual BIOS routine prior to boot.
    >> Power supply seems to be running. There is a green power light on
    >> the mobo that's lit.
    >>
    >> I suspect mobo's fail as do cpus. What would be likely culprit?

    > Could be. If it's ~5-7 years old, it could be bad capacitors on the
    > board. Look for bulging/doming/leaking. If you see that, you can stop
    > there. Otherwise, follow John F.'s checklist.

    Bad capacitors can be replaced.

    It's relatively easy to simply cut them in half vertically, trying to
    preserve as much of their original leads as possible. Then a new
    capacitor can be simply tack soldered onto the remaining leads. Somewhat
    "ugly" but far less expensive than a new motherboard, and who is gonna
    see it? ;-)

    This eliminates the danger of removing leads from the motherboard. They
    are multi-layered, and extremely difficult to repair once they leave
    their manufacturer's original assembly robot.

    Any capacitor value with at least the same or higher voltage rating can
    be used, as long as the value (in microfarads) is the same or up to
    around 100% more -- and it will physically fit. Not really critical, and
    something can usually be found at places like Radio Shack.

    --
    John