FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit? - Ubuntu ; jebblue wrote: > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:09:35 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote: > > >> It works great to have a 32 bit install of Linux on a server that has >> more than 4 GB of RAM. The server ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit?

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:09:35 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    >

    >> It works great to have a 32 bit install of Linux on a server that has
    >> more than 4 GB of RAM. The server would be able to use all of this RAM.
    >> However, obviously,e ach process would have to use less than 4 GB of
    >> RAM, which is perfectly fine with us.
    >>
    >> So, the bottom line is, 32 bit Linux works great with more than 4GB of
    >> system memory.
    >>

    > What does free -m report because my 4 Gig system says I have 3.4 Gigs.

    What are "Gigs"?

    "Giggles" perhaps?

    --
    John

  2. Re: FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit?

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:41:47 -0500, Ignoramus20788 wrote:

    >>> What does free -m report because my 4 Gig system says I have 3.4 Gigs.
    >>>

    >> Running 8 gig system:
    >>
    >> ==] free -m
    >> total used free shared buffers
    >> cached
    >> Mem: 8115 2644 5471 0 211
    >> 1435 -/+ buffers/cache: 997 7118 Swap: 5718
    >> 0 5718
    >>

    > Thanks Igno and Jean-David, here's my report:
    >
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 3528 2949 578 0 125 2363
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 461 3067
    > Swap: 10401 0 10401
    >
    > The System Monitor | System page shows 3.4 Gib.
    >
    > And cat /proc/meminfo first line:
    >
    > MemTotal: 3613036 kB
    >
    > I run the RT kernel, maybe it is not enabled in that one.

    Heh.

    john@debian3.1:~$ free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 61 59 1 0 11 12
    -/+ buffers/cache: 35 25
    Swap: 180 26 153

    --
    John

  3. Re: FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit?

    Joe wrote:
    > And since my real job includes maintenance of a large corporate
    > network for a fortune 500 company, ...

    Be careful using that brag. The same thing is said by those working in
    Redmond. ;-)

    --
    John

  4. Re: FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit?

    On 2008-07-18, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> And since my real job includes maintenance of a large corporate
    >> network for a fortune 500 company, ...

    > Be careful using that brag. The same thing is said by those working in
    > Redmond. ;-)

    Not a brag, just a real-life descriptor... ;-)

    Sad thing is we are a Novell/M$ shop. We have a couple hundred *nix
    servers, but most of the corporate server farms are Novell right now,
    with a planned shift to M$ in the next 2 years.

    Noone ever listens to me. They just expect us to keep it running, no
    matter which devil they make a deal with...

    I am probably leaving my current role very soon, though, and moving to
    an information security role, thus giving me a role more in line with
    what I like. More *nix, more firewalling, more investigation and
    troubleshooting of security issues, less day-to-day fiddling with M$
    crap...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: FOLLOWUP -- 32 bit OS, 4 GB limit?

    On 2008-07-18, WhøKñèw wrote:

    > You mean one of the ones that has their information stolen all the time?

    Nope. So far, we have not had a single instance of information theft
    on any kind of public scale. We are constantly audited by Federal
    Auditors, and we do just fine in the realm of security...