Easy terminal text editor? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Easy terminal text editor? - Ubuntu ; What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X windows). I want something that is easy for Windows users. I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors. -- Due to extreme spam ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Easy terminal text editor?

    What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    windows).

    I want something that is easy for Windows users.

    I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:

    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    I typically use 'vi' - there are only about three or four commands you
    need to remember. Some folks swear by 'nano'.

  3. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    >
    >> What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    >> windows).
    >>
    >> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >>
    >> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    > I typically use 'vi' - there are only about three or four commands you
    > need to remember. Some folks swear by 'nano'.

    The problem with "vi" is that, although you can get by with knowing only
    a handful of commands, inexperienced users often get confused if they
    inadvertedly, hit an unknown key.

    Nano is nice in that it has the commands listed at the bottom.

    (Note: I'm a vi user).
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  4. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    I checked out nano and I really like it, it is perfect for what I want
    these users to do (edit config files).

    On 2008-07-16, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    >
    >> What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    >> windows).
    >>
    >> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >>
    >> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    > I typically use 'vi' - there are only about three or four commands you
    > need to remember. Some folks swear by 'nano'.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:

    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    Why don't you just use Emacs? Emacs works fine in a terminal, after all
    it was written in the days of simple 24 line terminals like the VT100.
    Emacs in the non-X environment can do pretty much everything that Emacs/
    Xemacs can do in the X environment including split screens and shells,
    the only thing you lose are the menus and the mouse.

  6. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-16, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    >
    >> What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    >> windows).
    >>
    >> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >>
    >> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    > Why don't you just use Emacs? Emacs works fine in a terminal, after all
    > it was written in the days of simple 24 line terminals like the VT100.
    > Emacs in the non-X environment can do pretty much everything that Emacs/
    > Xemacs can do in the X environment including split screens and shells,
    > the only thing you lose are the menus and the mouse.

    I use emacs, but it is too complicated for some people who just need
    to edit a config file.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:06:20 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:

    > On 2008-07-16, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:53:02 -0500, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    >>
    >>> What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    >>> windows).
    >>>
    >>> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >>>
    >>> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    >> Why don't you just use Emacs? Emacs works fine in a terminal, after all
    >> it was written in the days of simple 24 line terminals like the VT100.
    >> Emacs in the non-X environment can do pretty much everything that
    >> Emacs/ Xemacs can do in the X environment including split screens and
    >> shells, the only thing you lose are the menus and the mouse.

    > I use emacs, but it is too complicated for some people who just need to
    > edit a config file.

    All terminal editors are going to have the same learning curve, they all
    date from the same period, late 70s to mid 80s when the CRT terminal
    reigned supreme, and they all operate in a similar fashion, i.e. most
    functions are bound to simple control sequence. Emacs has a robust
    documentation feature, i.e. apropos and describe-function, so you might
    as well use Emacs especially since that's what you use. If you have X
    then that changes everything, Gedit can be used by anyone, it's primitive
    compared to Xemacs/Emacs but all of it's commands are on menus so you
    don't have to know anything to use it.

  8. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-16, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    Check out ee (easy editor).

    Mvg,
    Tommy
    --
    There are only 10 types op people in this world: those who understand
    binary, and those who don't...

  9. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-16, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    I usually use nano.

    I am comfortable in vi, but nano is much easier and the important
    keystrokes are right there at the bottom of the terminal... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  10. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-16, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > All terminal editors are going to have the same learning curve, they all
    > date from the same period, late 70s to mid 80s when the CRT terminal
    > reigned supreme, and they all operate in a similar fashion, i.e. most
    > functions are bound to simple control sequence. Emacs has a robust
    > documentation feature, i.e. apropos and describe-function, so you might
    > as well use Emacs especially since that's what you use. If you have X
    > then that changes everything, Gedit can be used by anyone, it's primitive
    > compared to Xemacs/Emacs but all of it's commands are on menus so you
    > don't have to know anything to use it.

    The learning curve for nano is nowhere what it is for emacs. Nano can
    be used competently the first time it is fired up by a newbie. Emacs,
    not so much...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  11. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    > I checked out nano and I really like it, it is perfect for what I want
    > these users to do (edit config files).

    Make sure they use nano -w when editing config files, else some
    things may wrap badly.

    --
    Niklaus

  12. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-16, Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    If you are familiar with [X]emacs, continue using it. Both GNU
    Emacs and Xemacs can run in a terminal window.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  13. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    Ignoramus30183 wrote:
    > What would be a "easy to use" text editor for terminal (without X
    > windows).
    >
    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    I'm throwing my vote for nano as well. In fact, I use nano almost
    exclusively to edit config files. I am able to get by with knowing only
    a small fraction of the available commands. I found vi to be
    intimidating, and Emacs is for people who enjoy memorizing
    keystrokes...and what the heck is a "buffer" anyway?

  14. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    > I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    > I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    Use Wine to run notepad.exe or other Window$ editors? Of course, you
    need to learn a bit about setting up and using Wine
    "http://www.winehq.org" first.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  15. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:56:51 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    > Use Wine to run notepad.exe or other Window$ editors? Of course, you
    > need to learn a bit about setting up and using Wine

    Only a super-lamer-wanker Win-droid would do something as idiotic as that.
    Why bother to run Linux at all, if you can't even run a simple ****ing
    editor?

    You morons just keep surprising me, even when I think you can't get any
    ****ing dumber. Thanks for the laugh, Win-droid.

  16. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:56:51 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> I want something that is easy for Windows users. I personally use
    >> xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    > Use Wine to run notepad.exe or other Window$ editors? Of course, you
    > need to learn a bit about setting up and using Wine
    > "http://www.winehq.org" first.

    If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    nedit - I've never found anything better.

  17. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-17, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:56:51 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >>> I want something that is easy for Windows users. I personally use
    >>> xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    >> Use Wine to run notepad.exe or other Window$ editors? Of course, you
    >> need to learn a bit about setting up and using Wine
    >> "http://www.winehq.org" first.

    > If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    > for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    > requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    > nedit - I've never found anything better.

    Never tried it... Gonna have to give it a go! Thanks!

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    > If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    > for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    > requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    > nedit - I've never found anything better.

    I suddenly remember an editor that simulates WordStar: joe editor.

    http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/

    But then, how many kids knew about WordStar?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 11:33:01 up 2 days 14:59 2 users load average: 1.14 1.09 1.03
    (CSSA):

  19. [ot]

    > Only a super-lamer-wanker Win-droid would do something as idiotic as that.
    > Why bother to run Linux at all, if you can't even run a simple ****ing
    > editor?

    Not really lame if you need WinStuff running...

    > You morons just keep surprising me, even when I think you can't get any
    > ****ing dumber. Thanks for the laugh, Win-droid.

    Nun Dan, it's Game-Droid or DirectX-Droid, not Win-Droid. For me,
    Window$' functionalities are generic.... Win makes no sense.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 11:34:01 up 2 days 15:00 2 users load average: 1.15 1.10 1.04
    (CSSA):

  20. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    > Only a super-lamer-wanker Win-droid would do something as idiotic as that.
    > Why bother to run Linux at all, if you can't even run a simple ****ing
    > editor?

    BTW, some Win$ editors are really good. Don't overlook them. Do we have
    DreamWeaver 8 for Linux? No... I guess.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 12:24:01 up 2 days 15:50 2 users load average: 3.51 3.24 2.22
    (CSSA):

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast