Easy terminal text editor? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Easy terminal text editor? - Ubuntu ; On 2008-07-17, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote: >> Only a super-lamer-wanker Win-droid would do something as idiotic as that. >> Why bother to run Linux at all, if you can't even run a simple ****ing >> editor? > > BTW, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On 2008-07-17, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Only a super-lamer-wanker Win-droid would do something as idiotic as that.
    >> Why bother to run Linux at all, if you can't even run a simple ****ing
    >> editor?

    > BTW, some Win$ editors are really good. Don't overlook them. Do we have
    > DreamWeaver 8 for Linux? No... I guess.

    DreamWeaver 8 for anything is *NOT* a cli based test editor.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:35:21 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    >> for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    >> requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    >> nedit - I've never found anything better.

    > I suddenly remember an editor that simulates WordStar: joe editor.
    >
    > http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > But then, how many kids knew about WordStar?

    A lot of programmers editors used the Wordstar keystrokes.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  3. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:35:21 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >>> If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    >>> for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    >>> requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    >>> nedit - I've never found anything better.

    >> I suddenly remember an editor that simulates WordStar: joe editor.
    >>
    >> http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> But then, how many kids knew about WordStar?

    > A lot of programmers editors used the Wordstar keystrokes.

    Anyway, you could still use it like notepad.exe without knowing those
    hotkeys.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  4. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:35:21 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> If you would actually bother to READ the OP you'd see that he's looking
    >> for an editor that runs in a terminal. notepad does not meet that
    >> requirement. If he was looking for a GUI editor, I'd have recommended
    >> nedit - I've never found anything better.

    > I suddenly remember an editor that simulates WordStar: joe editor.
    >
    > http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > But then, how many kids knew about WordStar?

    I still have a boxed set in CP/M for my Commodore 128.

  5. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    >> But then, how many kids knew about WordStar?
    > I still have a boxed set in CP/M for my Commodore 128.

    >salute<

    Well, I started with WordStar 3.3 on PC, I think. Can't quite remember
    the editor I was using when typing some papers using an Apple ][.
    I went WordPerfect after discovering its power. WP 5.1 is really powerful!

    Later, I bought the ShareWare QEdit for DOS and is still keeping it.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 18:12:01 up 3 days 21:38 3 users load average: 1.05 1.06 1.02
    (CSSA):

  6. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    > Well, I started with WordStar 3.3 on PC, I think. Can't quite remember
    > the editor I was using when typing some papers using an Apple ][.
    > I went WordPerfect after discovering its power. WP 5.1 is really powerful!

    .... All the power in just a 1.44Mbytes diskette, basically all the
    things you ever need with word processing (formatting, pictures, TOC,
    index creation, mail merge...). Look at the sizes of OpenOffice and
    Micro$oft Office plus the OS and desktop manager, and you would wonder .....

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 18:16:01 up 3 days 21:42 3 users load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00
    (CSSA):

  7. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-07-17, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
    > wrote:
    >>> I want something that is easy for Windows users.
    >>> I personally use xemacs and am not familiar with any simple editors.

    >> Use Wine to run notepad.exe or other Window$ editors? Of course, you
    >> need to learn a bit about setting up and using Wine
    >> "http://www.winehq.org" first.
    >>

    > Wow. That might be the stupidest recommendation yet... Good job!
    > ;-)
    >
    > If they are already in X, using gedit will work as well (or better)
    > than notepad, and doesn't require wine.
    >
    > If they need a cli editor, there are plenty available that work fine.
    >
    > No need for wine just for an editor...

    Actually, if you are already in the terminal, you can also use vim, nano or
    pico

  8. Re: Easy terminal text editor?

    Welcome to the party! That's exactly what he was asking for! ;-)