(OT) Astroturfers Run Amok? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok? - Ubuntu ; Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably mostly the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of Industry" crowd. Now, I don't see this nearly so much in any of the other Linux groups which I track. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably mostly
    the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of Industry" crowd.

    Now, I don't see this nearly so much in any of the other Linux groups which
    I track. However, aols (SuSE), before the Novell/M$ Bogopatent Nonagression
    Pact, had a similar trolling netpest infestation. Odd, that.

    Another "coincidence" recently: Doc Searls notes (Linux Journal August 2008
    page 20) that Ubuntu swept DistroWatch's top page hit rankings yet again at
    number one, three years running now.

    I've been saying all along, Redmond's astroturfers are in a panic at what's
    accelerating erosion of their "mindshare" and especially Ubuntu inroads.

    It's so bad, even the second string at Yahoo looks like a screaming buy.

    The next time Moshe or another astroturfer starts up, just plonk 'em.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  2. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Harold Stevens wrote:

    >Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably
    >mostly the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of
    >Industry" crowd.

    [compton ~]$ grep ubuntu.*killed .newslog | cut -d' ' -f1,4-6 | column
    07/01/2008 72/72 (27 killed), 07/09/2008 79/79 (44 killed),
    07/02/2008 106/106 (26 killed), 07/10/2008 142/142 (72 killed),
    07/03/2008 68/68 (5 killed), 07/11/2008 84/84 (30 killed),
    07/04/2008 78/78 (18 killed), 07/12/2008 90/90 (40 killed),
    07/05/2008 99/99 (24 killed), 07/13/2008 113/113 (61 killed),
    07/06/2008 67/67 (17 killed), 07/14/2008 62/62 (18 killed),
    07/07/2008 53/53 (8 killed), 07/15/2008 83/83 (39 killed),
    07/08/2008 51/51 (14 killed), 07/16/2008 157/157 (86 killed),
    [compton ~]$

    I guess you are looking more than once a day.

    >Now, I don't see this nearly so much in any of the other Linux groups
    >which I track. However, aols (SuSE), before the Novell/M$ Bogopatent
    >Nonagression Pact, had a similar trolling netpest infestation. Odd,
    >that.

    Quick look at the logs... comp.os.linux.misc seems to be as bad, but
    most of those kills are probably the fake spam from "Chinese"
    businesses posted via googlegroup - I don't know for sure, as I rarely
    bother looking without a killfile. For the rest (I'm scanning 38
    Linux groups daily), the killfiles are seeing trash|noise as well under
    5% of the posts. There's more noise in the security groups from the
    windoze users discussing the "merits" of their favorite anti-malware
    applications/suites, and how the latest bug-fix from Redmond has
    b0rken several "personal firewall" toys.

    >I've been saying all along, Redmond's astroturfers are in a panic at
    >what's accelerating erosion of their "mindshare" and especially Ubuntu
    >inroads.

    This might have something to do with the sales of the latest version
    of windoze, but who cares.

    Old guy

  3. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably mostly
    > the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of Industry" crowd.
    >
    > Now, I don't see this nearly so much in any of the other Linux groups which
    > I track. However, aols (SuSE), before the Novell/M$ Bogopatent Nonagression
    > Pact, had a similar trolling netpest infestation. Odd, that.
    >
    > Another "coincidence" recently: Doc Searls notes (Linux Journal August 2008
    > page 20) that Ubuntu swept DistroWatch's top page hit rankings yet again at
    > number one, three years running now.
    >
    > I've been saying all along, Redmond's astroturfers are in a panic at what's
    > accelerating erosion of their "mindshare" and especially Ubuntu inroads.
    >
    > It's so bad, even the second string at Yahoo looks like a screaming buy.
    >
    > The next time Moshe or another astroturfer starts up, just plonk 'em.

    Score out the "advocacy" group and things look a whole lot better.

    %BOS
    % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: =-9999
    %EOS

    This kills a couple of hundred pots from babbling loons per week.

    --
    People always ask me, "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" Well, I
    don't have an alibi." ~ Emo Philips

  4. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On 16 Jul 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Moog wrote:

    >Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably
    >> mostly the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of
    >> Industry" crowd.

    >Score out the "advocacy" group and things look a whole lot better.
    >
    >%BOS
    >% Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >[alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >Score: =-9999
    >%EOS

    ITYM
    [*]
    Score: =-9999

    The news server I'm using has 60 groups with the string advocacy in
    the name. I don't need to see soc.advocacy.sex.with.young.porcupines
    or any of the rest of the groups for the six-year-old mind. But I'm
    sure there are others who would be/are fascinated by such groups.

    >This kills a couple of hundred pots from babbling loons per week.

    Who knows - I don't bother investigating the contents of the bit-bucket.

    Old guy

  5. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Moe Trin illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 16 Jul 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    >, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably
    >>> mostly the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of
    >>> Industry" crowd.

    >>Score out the "advocacy" group and things look a whole lot better.
    >>
    >>%BOS
    >>% Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >>[alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>Score: =-9999
    >>%EOS

    > ITYM
    >
    >[*]
    > Score: =-9999

    Yes. Weird. slrn is stripping the "Xref:" tag. That line was pasted
    in.

    > The news server I'm using has 60 groups with the string advocacy in
    > the name. I don't need to see soc.advocacy.sex.with.young.porcupines
    > or any of the rest of the groups for the six-year-old mind. But I'm
    > sure there are others who would be/are fascinated by such groups.
    >
    >>This kills a couple of hundred pots from babbling loons per week.

    > Who knows - I don't bother investigating the contents of the bit-bucket.

    I get a quick notification of how many posts have been killed whenever
    I log into the group. I don't investigate it, it appears.

    --
    "Well, my brother says Hello. So, hooray for speech therapy." ~ Emo
    Philips

  6. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:19:26 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Yes. Weird. slrn is stripping the "Xref:" tag. That line was pasted
    > in.

    Get a real newsreader then :-P

    It probably ended up in the headers.

    > I get a quick notification of how many posts have been killed whenever
    > I log into the group. I don't investigate it, it appears.

    Pan just says there's n unread after I've read all posts in a group

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  7. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    * Harold Stevens peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Tossed 75 of 110 aolu posts from gitgo upon login just now, probably mostly
    > the GoogleGrope/Flatfish/Moshe/etc. and "M$ Captain of Industry" crowd.
    >
    > Now, I don't see this nearly so much in any of the other Linux groups which
    > I track. However, aols (SuSE), before the Novell/M$ Bogopatent Nonagression
    > Pact, had a similar trolling netpest infestation. Odd, that.
    >
    > Another "coincidence" recently: Doc Searls notes (Linux Journal August 2008
    > page 20) that Ubuntu swept DistroWatch's top page hit rankings yet again at
    > number one, three years running now.
    >
    > I've been saying all along, Redmond's astroturfers are in a panic at what's
    > accelerating erosion of their "mindshare" and especially Ubuntu inroads.
    >
    > It's so bad, even the second string at Yahoo looks like a screaming buy.
    >
    > The next time Moshe or another astroturfer starts up, just plonk 'em.

    Moshe isn't really an astroturfer. He just likes to toss ants and
    spiders into a jar and watch the fights break out.

    He regularly crossposts between Linux, Linux Advocacy, BSD, Windows,
    Physics, and Locksmithing groups, just to annoy people.

    He's even adopted the name of a concentration-camp survivor, probably
    just to add insult to injury.

    That being said, what rich software mogul wouldn't be afraid of another
    rich software mogul distributing a perhaps-superior operating system for
    free?

    --
    So live that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the
    town gossip.

  8. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    In <9YJfk.2727$bN2.416@bignews9.bellsouth.net> Linonut:

    [Snip...]

    > to add insult to injury

    Which is why I urge anybody with better things to do: just plonk 'em.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  9. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:19:26 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. Weird. slrn is stripping the "Xref:" tag. That line was pasted
    >> in.

    > Get a real newsreader then :-P

    Heh. Touche.

    > It probably ended up in the headers.

    Yup. I think that was the case....it looks like a header it must be a
    header

    Try number to - two lines to follow - one with "Xref" and the other with
    "Xref:"
    Xref
    Let's see what happens.

    >> I get a quick notification of how many posts have been killed whenever
    >> I log into the group. I don't investigate it, it appears.

    > Pan just says there's n unread after I've read all posts in a group

    Oooh. So do you have to mark your killed posts as read to reset it to
    zero?

    --
    “Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented
    custard” ~ Spike Milligan.

  10. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:53:34 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Try number to - two lines to follow - one with "Xref" and the other with
    > "Xref:"
    > Xref

    Both appear.

    > Oooh. So do you have to mark your killed posts as read to reset it to
    > zero?

    There has to be something to remind me that Hadron and his bum chums are
    still at large.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  11. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:53:34 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Try number to - two lines to follow - one with "Xref" and the other with
    >> "Xref:"
    >> Xref

    > Both appear.

    So the do.

    How about

    %BOS
    % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: =-9999
    %EOS

    ?

    There should be two lines including XREF one encased in quotes and one
    not. Maybe it's a "%BOS...%EOS" that's doing it?

    >> Oooh. So do you have to mark your killed posts as read to reset it to
    >> zero?

    > There has to be something to remind me that Hadron and his bum chums are
    > still at large.

    Heh. Who?

    --
    "So I rang up a local building firm, I said 'I want a skip outside my
    house.' He said 'I'm not stopping you.' ~ Tim Vine

  12. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:59:10 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:53:34 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try number to - two lines to follow - one with "Xref" and the other with
    >>> "Xref:"
    >>> Xref

    >> Both appear.

    > So the do.
    >
    > How about
    >
    > %BOS
    > % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: =-9999
    > %EOS
    >
    > ?
    >
    > There should be two lines including XREF one encased in quotes and one
    > not. Maybe it's a "%BOS...%EOS" that's doing it?

    Must be the first one with quotes stopping the second one disappearing now.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  13. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:59:10 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Both appear.

    >> So the do.
    >>
    >> How about
    >>
    >> %BOS
    >> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score: =-9999
    >> %EOS
    >>
    >> ?
    >>
    >> There should be two lines including XREF one encased in quotes and one
    >> not. Maybe it's a "%BOS...%EOS" that's doing it?

    > Must be the first one with quotes stopping the second one disappearing now.

    OK. How about

    %BOS
    % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: =-9999
    %EOS

    --
    "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or

  14. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:11:21 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > %BOS
    > % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: =-9999
    > %EOS

    Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    quoting any of the others.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  15. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:11:21 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> %BOS
    >> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score: =-9999
    >> %EOS

    > Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    > quoting any of the others.

    OK.

    %BOS
    % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    Score: =-9999
    %EOS

    I don't actually think it's slrn. I think it's whoever responded to
    me's "newsreader". I can't be bothered going back to check.

    --
    "So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local
    swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'" ~ Tim

  16. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:56:43 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:11:21 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> %BOS
    >>> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score: =-9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    >> quoting any of the others.

    > OK.
    >
    > %BOS
    > % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: =-9999
    > %EOS
    >
    > I don't actually think it's slrn. I think it's whoever responded to
    > me's "newsreader". I can't be bothered going back to check.

    I just went back and you're right, that was Moe, but he uses slrn too :-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  17. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:11:21 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >>> %BOS
    >>> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score: =-9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    >> quoting any of the others.

    > OK.

    > %BOS
    > % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: =-9999
    > %EOS

    > I don't actually think it's slrn. I think it's whoever responded to
    > me's "newsreader". I can't be bothered going back to check.

    I use slrn and see it in your original post which Moe quoted, its likely
    a setting he has that stripped it, now tell Trevor to get a newsreader
    thats been updated in the last 5 years ;P~

    --
    David
    O ideal no esperar pelo momento ideal.

  18. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On 2008-07-22, Moog wrote:
    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:11:21 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> %BOS
    >>> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >>> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >>> Score: =-9999
    >>> %EOS

    >> Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    >> quoting any of the others.

    > OK.
    >
    > %BOS
    > % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    > [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    > Score: =-9999
    > %EOS
    >
    > I don't actually think it's slrn. I think it's whoever responded to
    > me's "newsreader". I can't be bothered going back to check.

    Works great for me here. No quotes.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  19. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:12:33 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > I use slrn and see it in your original post which Moe quoted, its likely
    > a setting he has that stripped it, now tell Trevor to get a newsreader
    > thats been updated in the last 5 years ;P~

    It has been updated, just that the updated ones aren't as good as this one. ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  20. Re: (OT) Astroturfers Run Amok?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:56:43 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Perhaps the quoted ones above fix it. Try that one again but without
    >>> quoting any of the others.

    >> OK.
    >>
    >> %BOS
    >> % Kill Advocacy crossposts
    >> [alt.os.linux.ubuntu]
    >> Score: =-9999
    >> %EOS
    >>
    >> I don't actually think it's slrn. I think it's whoever responded to
    >> me's "newsreader". I can't be bothered going back to check.

    > I just went back and you're right, that was Moe, but he uses slrn too :-)

    Thanks. So it *is* slrn then. ;-)

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast