Konqueror and KMail sometime start very slow - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Konqueror and KMail sometime start very slow - Ubuntu ; I'm having an odd problem that is unfortunately Google resistant. After a reboot, about half the time, Konqueror takes about three minutes to start. Both web browser and file manager. When this happens, KMail is also slow to start, taking ...

  1. Konqueror and KMail sometime start very slow

    I'm having an odd problem that is unfortunately Google resistant.

    After a reboot, about half the time, Konqueror takes about three minutes
    to start. Both web browser and file manager. When this happens, KMail is
    also slow to start, taking a similar amount of time. The good news is that
    it always does start, but three minutes is a long time to wait.

    My hardware is a P4 2.4 GHz, with 2 GB of ram. Normal start time for
    Konqueror is about one to two seconds. When Konqueror and KMail misbehave,
    all else that I've tried starts normally (Firefox, Open Office, Pan, K
    Start menu)

    I'm running Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3.5.9, Konqueror 3.5.9. Few updates; I've a
    lot of time in getting Kubuntu just the way I want it (except this little
    problem) and I don't want to risk the update (especially the kernel)
    breaking something.

    I hate Dolphin, so I have done everything to suppress it short of
    uninstalling it. To make Konqueror the default file manager, I did this:
    Konqueror > Settings menu > Configure Konqueror > File Associations and
    change the file association for inode directory to Konqueror instead of
    Dolphin. I went through most of the other file associations and moved
    Konqueror to the top above Dolphin.

    I would suspect that one of the settings in that area caused this problem
    (that is about the time it cropped up), but there is the matter of KMail
    failing to start too.

    Anyone know of a way to fix this, short of a reinstall or similar drastic
    measure?

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  2. Re: Konqueror and KMail sometime start very slow

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 01:47:36 -0400, Tony Sivori wrote:

    > I'm having an odd problem that is unfortunately Google resistant.
    >
    > After a reboot, about half the time, Konqueror takes about three minutes
    > to start. Both web browser and file manager. When this happens, KMail is
    > also slow to start, taking a similar amount of time. The good news is
    > that it always does start, but three minutes is a long time to wait.
    >
    > My hardware is a P4 2.4 GHz, with 2 GB of ram. Normal start time for
    > Konqueror is about one to two seconds. When Konqueror and KMail
    > misbehave, all else that I've tried starts normally (Firefox, Open
    > Office, Pan, K Start menu)
    >
    > I'm running Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 3.5.9, Konqueror 3.5.9. Few updates; I've
    > a lot of time in getting Kubuntu just the way I want it (except this
    > little problem) and I don't want to risk the update (especially the
    > kernel) breaking something.
    >
    > I hate Dolphin, so I have done everything to suppress it short of
    > uninstalling it. To make Konqueror the default file manager, I did this:
    > Konqueror > Settings menu > Configure Konqueror > File Associations and
    > change the file association for inode directory to Konqueror instead of
    > Dolphin. I went through most of the other file associations and moved
    > Konqueror to the top above Dolphin.
    >
    > I would suspect that one of the settings in that area caused this
    > problem (that is about the time it cropped up), but there is the matter
    > of KMail failing to start too.
    >
    > Anyone know of a way to fix this, short of a reinstall or similar
    > drastic measure?

    you should never have to re-install an application like this. its one of
    the joys of linux. all of your preferences (including these that you
    changed) should be stored under ~/.kde. if you'd like to reset kde back
    to default for another go at this, i would simply mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.bak or
    the likes, and then restart kde. do this without kde running, however.

    i hate starting over, but thankfully linux is very nice in this regard.
    you can copy your setting files back from ~/.kde.bak to ~/.kde as needed
    to restore application preferences.

  3. Re: Konqueror and KMail sometime start very slow

    I'm experiencing the same problem.

    Suprisingly, when I launch konqueror, if I do:

    #ps -e

    two sleep processes are shown for each konqueror booting (this makes my system spend almost 5 minutes to boot X up)).

    Is it the same for you?

+ Reply to Thread