Make wlan1 wlan0 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Make wlan1 wlan0 - Ubuntu ; I used ndiswrapper for a usb wireless card, and then I installed a pci card not using ndiswrapper. The usb card was called wlan0 and the second card wlan1. I have now stopped using the first card and I have ...

  1. Make wlan1 wlan0

    I used ndiswrapper for a usb wireless card, and then I installed a pci
    card not using ndiswrapper. The usb card was called wlan0 and the second
    card wlan1.

    I have now stopped using the first card and I have uninstalled
    ndiswrapper. But still the second card is called wlan1.
    Since I'm rather pedantic, I'd like my installed card to be wlan0.

    How can I make my box forget all about my affair with ndiswrapper and
    the usb card?

    --
    Salve

  2. Re: Make wlan1 wlan0

    > I have now stopped using the first card and I have uninstalled
    > ndiswrapper. But still the second card is called wlan1.
    > Since I'm rather pedantic, I'd like my installed card to be wlan0.
    >
    > How can I make my box forget all about my affair with ndiswrapper and
    > the usb card?

    Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    There you find every network card ever connected to your system with its
    MAC address an the assigned interface name, like
    ---------------------
    # PCI device 0x8086:0x4229 (iwl4965)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:ca:fe:00:ca:fe",
    ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0"
    ----------------------

    Change the entries to fit your needs (e.g. delete your old card entry
    and rename the NAME parameter for the current one to wlan0).
    Alternatively you can delete all lines and let the system automatically
    enumerate all found cards again.
    Then stop networking ,restart udev and restart networking afterwards.

    --
    Ulf Leichsenring
    ulf@leichsenring.net

  3. Re: Make wlan1 wlan0

    On 2008-07-16, Ulf Leichsenring wrote:
    >> I have now stopped using the first card and I have uninstalled
    >> ndiswrapper. But still the second card is called wlan1.
    >> Since I'm rather pedantic, I'd like my installed card to be wlan0.
    >>
    >> How can I make my box forget all about my affair with ndiswrapper and
    >> the usb card?

    > Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    > There you find every network card ever connected to your system with its
    > MAC address an the assigned interface name, like
    > ---------------------
    > # PCI device 0x8086:0x4229 (iwl4965)
    > SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:ca:fe:00:ca:fe",
    > ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0"
    >

    > Change the entries to fit your needs (e.g. delete your old card entry
    > and rename the NAME parameter for the current one to wlan0).
    > Alternatively you can delete all lines and let the system automatically
    > enumerate all found cards again.
    > Then stop networking ,restart udev and restart networking afterwards.

    THANK YOU!

    --
    Salve

+ Reply to Thread