Compaq Persario C700 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Compaq Persario C700 - Ubuntu ; Looking for some basic help and info! I have not used Linux b4! I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD. On startup it says something about downloading wireless drivers ? what is the best freeware antivirous so I ...

  1. Compaq Persario C700

    Looking for some basic help and info!

    I have not used Linux b4!

    I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD.
    On startup it says something about downloading wireless drivers ?
    what is the best freeware antivirous so I can test if I will stay Linux
    or not
    Thanks Chris

  2. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    Chris Taylor wrote:
    > Looking for some basic help and info!
    >
    > I have not used Linux b4!
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD.
    > On startup it says something about downloading wireless drivers ?

    Let it.

    > what is the best freeware antivirous so I can test if I will stay Linux
    > or not

    You don't need one with Linux.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:10:17 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > Looking for some basic help and info!
    >
    > I have not used Linux b4!
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD. On startup it says
    > something about downloading wireless drivers ? what is the best freeware
    > antivirous so I can test if I will stay Linux or not
    > Thanks Chris

    What "antivirus"? If it installs one, let it run; if not don't sweat it.
    I've been at this for five years - currently have five home computers and
    nine more at the local library. I've not done a thing about "antivirus"
    and never had a problem.

  4. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    Chris Taylor wrote:

    > Looking for some basic help and info!
    >
    > I have not used Linux b4!

    That's a highly peculiar Linux version number. It doesn't fit
    either the kernel nor any Ubuntu version.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> Looking for some basic help and info!
    >>
    >> I have not used Linux b4!
    >>
    >> I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD.
    >> On startup it says something about downloading wireless drivers ?

    > Let it.

    Can't download as the wireless is not working
    boardcom 802.11b/g WLAN

    >> what is the best freeware antivirous so I can test if I will stay
    >> Linux or not

    > You don't need one with Linux.

  6. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    On 2008-07-16, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:10:17 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for some basic help and info!
    >>
    >> I have not used Linux b4!
    >>
    >> I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.0??? and booting from DVD. On startup it says
    >> something about downloading wireless drivers ? what is the best freeware
    >> antivirous so I can test if I will stay Linux or not
    >> Thanks Chris

    > What "antivirus"? If it installs one, let it run; if not don't sweat it.
    > I've been at this for five years - currently have five home computers and
    > nine more at the local library. I've not done a thing about "antivirus"
    > and never had a problem.

    Using anti-virus software on a Linux system is pretty unconventional,
    and probably unnecessary.

    --

  7. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> Looking for some basic help and info!
    >>
    >> I have not used Linux b4!

    b4 = BEFORE

    > That's a highly peculiar Linux version number. It doesn't fit
    > either the kernel nor any Ubuntu version.

  8. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    Chris Taylor wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On startup it says something about downloading wireless drivers ?

    >> Let it.

    > Can't download as the wireless is not working
    > boardcom 802.11b/g WLAN

    Temporarily use a wired connection.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:39:05 +1000, Chris Taylor wrote:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>> Looking for some basic help and info!
    >>>
    >>> I have not used Linux b4!

    > b4 = BEFORE
    >>
    >> That's a highly peculiar Linux version number. It doesn't fit
    >> either the kernel nor any Ubuntu version.

    ---- > Joke -----> Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

    O <- Chris's head ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  10. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    Chris Taylor wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Chris Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking for some basic help and info!
    >>>
    >>> I have not used Linux b4!

    > b4 = BEFORE
    >
    >> That's a highly peculiar Linux version number. It doesn't fit
    >> either the kernel nor any Ubuntu version.

    No it isn't. The letters 'before' spell BEFORE. The character
    sequence 'b4!' does not.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  11. Re: Compaq Persario C700

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:22:55 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Chris Taylor wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:

    >> b4 = BEFORE
    >>
    >>> That's a highly peculiar Linux version number. It doesn't fit
    >>> either the kernel nor any Ubuntu version.

    > No it isn't. The letters 'before' spell BEFORE. The character
    > sequence 'b4!' does not.

    Less is more, Chuck, less is more.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

+ Reply to Thread