Re: where is my file? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: where is my file? - Ubuntu ; Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so I must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using pan which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is there some way to ...

  1. Re: where is my file?

    Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so I
    must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using pan
    which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is there some
    way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership of it so I don't have to
    use the terminal (and so it will save my settings)?

    tia
    Alan

  2. Re: where is my file?

    alan illeman wrote:
    > Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so I
    > must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using pan
    > which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is there some
    > way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership of it so I don't have to
    > use the terminal (and so it will save my settings)?

    What happens if you type /usr/bin/pan in a Terminal without sudo?
    How did you install it?

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: where is my file?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:43:36 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > alan illeman wrote:
    >> Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so
    >> I must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using
    >> pan which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is
    >> there some way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership of it so I
    >> don't have to use the terminal (and so it will save my settings)?

    > What happens if you type /usr/bin/pan in a Terminal without sudo? How
    > did you install it?

    (1)It doesn't connect with my server (news.supernews.com)
    (2)I installed it through Synaptic

  4. Re: where is my file?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:48:36 -0500, alan illeman wrote:

    > Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so I
    > must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using pan
    > which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is there some
    > way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership of it so I don't have to
    > use the terminal (and so it will save my settings)?

    Damn, you're slow even by Ubuntu-user standards.

  5. Re: where is my file?

    * alan illeman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:43:36 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >
    >> alan illeman wrote:
    >>> Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better -
    >>> so I must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup
    >>> using pan which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan"
    >>> but is there some way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership
    >>> of it so I don't have to use the terminal (and so it will save my
    >>> settings)?

    >> What happens if you type /usr/bin/pan in a Terminal without sudo? How
    >> did you install it?

    > (1)It doesn't connect with my server (news.supernews.com)

    thats becasue you have to set it up as YOU, not root which is waht sudo
    does. If you start it that way and then configure it, it stores its
    setings in /root/.pan2

    You need to reconfigure it as YOU.

    --
    David

  6. Re: where is my file?

    On 2008-07-16, alan illeman wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:43:36 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >
    >> alan illeman wrote:
    >>> Thanks for your help. I installed Hardy once again and it's better - so
    >>> I must be learning something. I'm posting/reading this newsgroup using
    >>> pan which I had to activate in terminal "sudo /usr/bin/pan" but is
    >>> there some way to plonk it on my desktop and take ownership of it so I
    >>> don't have to use the terminal (and so it will save my settings)?

    >> What happens if you type /usr/bin/pan in a Terminal without sudo? How
    >> did you install it?

    > (1)It doesn't connect with my server (news.supernews.com)
    > (2)I installed it through Synaptic

    If you installed it through Synaptic, there should be a menu item for
    it under Applications | Internet.

    If it isn't there, right click on Applications, choose Edit Menus,
    drill down and make sure it is there, with a check mark (which enables
    the Menu Entry). Sometimes, apps get installed, and the menu item is
    created, but they don't get enabled.

    If it's not there at all, report back, and we'll help you create it.

    Now, as for pan, you say that it doesn't connect with your server...
    That means it ran, but you couldn't connect? That's OK. That means
    you have a config issue... That can be fixed...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  7. Re: where is my file?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:29:16 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-07-16, alan illeman wrote:

    >>> What happens if you type /usr/bin/pan in a Terminal without sudo? How
    >>> did you install it?

    >> (1)It doesn't connect with my server (news.supernews.com) (2)I
    >> installed it through Synaptic

    > If you installed it through Synaptic, there should be a menu item for it
    > under Applications | Internet.
    >
    > If it isn't there, right click on Applications, choose Edit Menus, drill
    > down and make sure it is there, with a check mark (which enables the
    > Menu Entry). Sometimes, apps get installed, and the menu item is
    > created, but they don't get enabled.
    >
    > If it's not there at all, report back, and we'll help you create it.
    >
    > Now, as for pan, you say that it doesn't connect with your server...
    > That means it ran, but you couldn't connect? That's OK. That means you
    > have a config issue... That can be fixed...

    Thanks - it was there under Applications | Internet - and it didn't
    connect because I had misspelled the server name. Thanks again.

  8. Re: where is my file?

    On 2008-07-16, Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Thanks - it was there under Applications | Internet - and it didn't
    > connect because I had misspelled the server name. Thanks again.

    No problem. I have been Administering PC's for about 25 Years now,
    servers around 15. I have found that most issues that I run into like
    yours were always my own damned fault for mis-typing something simple,
    and not being able to see it no matter how hard I looked... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: where is my file?

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:34:00 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-07-16, Alan Illeman wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks - it was there under Applications | Internet - and it didn't
    >> connect because I had misspelled the server name. Thanks again.

    > No problem. I have been Administering PC's for about 25 Years now,
    > servers around 15. I have found that most issues that I run into like
    > yours were always my own damned fault for mis-typing something simple,
    > and not being able to see it no matter how hard I looked... ;-)

    I have another question: the "Ubuntu Help Centre" - "Files, Folders and
    Documents" - "Working with Files" - "This chapter describes how to use
    the "Nautilus" file manager."

    Nautilus is 'greened' in Synaptic but I don't see it listed under
    "Applications". How do I directly access it?

  10. Re: where is my file?

    On 2008-07-19, Alan Illeman wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:34:00 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-16, Alan Illeman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks - it was there under Applications | Internet - and it didn't
    >>> connect because I had misspelled the server name. Thanks again.

    >> No problem. I have been Administering PC's for about 25 Years now,
    >> servers around 15. I have found that most issues that I run into like
    >> yours were always my own damned fault for mis-typing something simple,
    >> and not being able to see it no matter how hard I looked... ;-)

    > I have another question: the "Ubuntu Help Centre" - "Files, Folders and
    > Documents" - "Working with Files" - "This chapter describes how to use
    > the "Nautilus" file manager."
    >
    > Nautilus is 'greened' in Synaptic but I don't see it listed under
    > "Applications". How do I directly access it?

    Double-click on the icon "Computer" or the link to your Home folder on
    the desktop. That is Nautilus.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread