Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers - Ubuntu ; "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post u8q1l5-fm5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 11:12 AM: .... >> Who cares if KDE looks like Gnome... > > Snit does. ;-) No, they can have completely different looks... but I want the *choice* to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

  1. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    u8q1l5-fm5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 11:12 AM:

    >> Who cares if KDE looks like Gnome...

    > Snit does. ;-)

    No, they can have completely different looks... but I want the *choice* to
    have a desktop Linux distro with a non-fractured UI. So far no such distro
    exists, though, clearly, the folks who make Ubuntu have a similar goal.

    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France

  2. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    > Who made you Net Nanny?

    Ignore the forger.

  3. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:31:57 -0700
    <02c93bd2$0$26433$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>:
    > The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:11:06 -0400

    >>> There is plenty wrong with KDE 4.0. For starters, it looks nothing
    >>> at all like Gnome, and the set-points of the GUI configuration do not
    >>> overlap 100%.

    >> Don't take this the wrong way. First off don't respond to whiny
    >> immature name calling trolls. It only means you are sinking to their
    >> level. It's best to ignore them. The argument "They started it first"
    >> just doesn't cut it in the maturity department IMHO.

    > Who made you Net Nanny?

    The Nattering Nabob Net Nanny Maker, of course.
    I'll have to find her...

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- no, it's not MS's Crabby Office Lady
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  4. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:27:55 -0700
    :
    > "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    > u8q1l5-fm5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 11:12 AM:

    >>> Who cares if KDE looks like Gnome...

    >> Snit does. ;-)

    > No, they can have completely different looks... but I want
    > the *choice* to have a desktop Linux distro with a
    > non-fractured UI. So far no such distro exists, though,
    > clearly, the folks who make Ubuntu have a similar goal.

    I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    branding.

    And yes, a distro does exist -- Mac OSX. This is not a
    Linux distro but illustrates where we'd want to go with
    this idea.

    [snip]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  5. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    The Wizard of Oz wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:11:06 -0400
    >> <112gurw8i2nhe$.1kapjbjey01l6$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> But........
    >>>
    >>> You Linux loons have been claiming that there is nothing wrong with Kde
    >>> 4.x?

    >> There is plenty wrong with KDE 4.0. For starters, it looks nothing at
    >> all like Gnome, and the set-points of the GUI configuration do not
    >> overlap 100%.

    > Don't take this the wrong way. First off don't respond to whiny
    > immature name calling trolls. It only means you are sinking to their
    > level. It's best to ignore them. The argument "They started it first"
    > just doesn't cut it in the maturity department IMHO.
    >
    > I agree there is a lot wrong with KDE 4.0. I've been using it for
    > a few months. Mainly because somebody goofed with the Kubuntu (KDE 3)
    > I downloaded so I couldn't get past the network manager to connect to
    > the net for updates or anything. It's a Kubuntu thing not a KDE thing
    > because other people are using KDE just fine.
    >
    > Who cares if KDE looks like Gnome... For that matter who cares if
    > Vista looks like Windows 2.0... If people like the look of Gnome
    > they'll run Gnome. The whole reason for running KDE is because it is
    > different from Gnome.

    KDE IS NOT BETTER THAN GNOME.

    GNOME IS NOT BETTER THAN KDE.

    THE BEST OF THE TWO IS THE ONE YOU LIKE USING THE MOST. SOME WILL SPEND
    THE TIME AND LEARN BOTH BECAUSE THEY ENJOY IT. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG
    THERE EITHER.

    I USE GNOME SINCE IT IS THE DEFAULT AND TENDS TOWARD EASE OF USE AT THE
    EXPENSE OF ADDITIONAL FEATURES THAT I DO NOT USE. OTHERS WANT
    FEATURES. NOTHING WRONG THERE EITHER.

    I WOULD SAY MY PREFERENCE IS LINUX -UBUNTU-GNOME OVER WINDOWS BUT LINUX
    NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED AND NEEDS MORE HARDWARE OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT AND
    BETTER PRINTING AND SCANNING FUNCTIONS BUILT IN. IT WOULD ALSO BE NICE
    TO HAVE A STANDARD PACKAGE MANAGER AND STANDARD FOLDERS FOR INSTALLS AND
    CONFIG FILES ACROSS ALL LINUX DISTROS.

    >>> So now we have to wait until KDE 4.x is stable?

    >> Not at all. One can merely go back to Windows Vista,
    >> which is now stable.

    > KDE 4 is getting more stable with each update. I gather Vista is
    > being abandoned in favour of Windows 7. Micro$oft must be doing that
    > for a reason.
    >
    >>> What a bunch of liars you Linux loons are....
    >>>

    > Whine whine whine... Whimper whimper whimper... Is that all you
    > trolls can come up with? (sorry for going against my own suggestion)
    >
    > Later
    > Mike

  6. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:31:57 -0700
    > <02c93bd2$0$26433$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>:
    >> The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    >>> Don't take this the wrong way. First off don't respond to whiny
    >>> immature name calling trolls. It only means you are sinking to their
    >>> level. It's best to ignore them. The argument "They started it
    >>> first" just doesn't cut it in the maturity department IMHO.

    >> Who made you Net Nanny?
    >>

    > The Nattering Nabob Net Nanny Maker, of course.
    > I'll have to find her...
    >
    > :-)

    You, unlike others, enjoy humour and a good joust. Keep replying to the
    trolls.

  7. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, somebody impersonating chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:14:02 -0700
    <487e6490$0$29793$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:31:57 -0700
    >> <02c93bd2$0$26433$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>:

    [snippage]

    >>> Who made you Net Nanny?
    >>>

    >> The Nattering Nabob Net Nanny Maker, of course.
    >> I'll have to find her...
    >>
    >> :-)

    > You, unlike others, enjoy humour and a good joust. Keep replying to the
    > trolls.

    Why thank you, Mister Impersonator. But don't expect any
    leniency. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  8. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    gbv1l5-3v6.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 12:38 PM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:27:55 -0700
    > :
    >> "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    >> u8q1l5-fm5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 11:12 AM:

    >>> Snit does. ;-)

    >> No, they can have completely different looks... but I want
    >> the *choice* to have a desktop Linux distro with a
    >> non-fractured UI. So far no such distro exists, though,
    >> clearly, the folks who make Ubuntu have a similar goal.

    > I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    > to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    > branding.
    >
    > And yes, a distro does exist -- Mac OSX. This is not a
    > Linux distro but illustrates where we'd want to go with
    > this idea.

    Well, OS X is not nearly as flexible in some areas... not without quite a
    bit of work, anyway.

    --Aldous Huxley

  9. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:37:42 -0700
    :
    > "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    > gbv1l5-3v6.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 12:38 PM:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:27:55 -0700
    >> :
    >>> "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    >>> u8q1l5-fm5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 11:12 AM:

    >>> No, they can have completely different looks... but I want
    >>> the *choice* to have a desktop Linux distro with a
    >>> non-fractured UI. So far no such distro exists, though,
    >>> clearly, the folks who make Ubuntu have a similar goal.

    >> I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    >> to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    >> branding.
    >>
    >> And yes, a distro does exist -- Mac OSX. This is not a
    >> Linux distro but illustrates where we'd want to go with
    >> this idea.

    > Well, OS X is not nearly as flexible in some areas... not without quite a
    > bit of work, anyway.

    I do believe you may have identified another tradeoff. ;-) Still,
    I'd have to study the matter.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  10. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    umn2l5-1bb.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/16/08 7:34 PM:

    >>> I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    >>> to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    >>> branding.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, a distro does exist -- Mac OSX. This is not a
    >>> Linux distro but illustrates where we'd want to go with
    >>> this idea.

    >> Well, OS X is not nearly as flexible in some areas... not without quite a
    >> bit of work, anyway.
    >>

    > I do believe you may have identified another tradeoff. ;-) Still,
    > I'd have to study the matter.

    OS X does an amazing job of serving both novices and experts but there are
    times Apple simply makes decisions that they try to enforce where they
    should not. A recent example is the transparent menu - and menu pull downs.
    Even the overall "skin" is not very configurable - not a big issue for me
    but if a company want to brand their own machines OS X does not serve that
    well - Apple brands *Apple*.

    --
    BU__SH__

  11. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    > to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    > branding.

    That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

  12. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    Ben wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    >> to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    >> branding.

    > That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

    linux is not an "idea"...is was simply a way of avoiding paying for an
    os when lt was in college. Fanatics like you have simply blow it up into
    something resembling a religion...when it was never meant to be a religion.
    Oh, and rs is the real asshole!

  13. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ben

    wrote
    on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:28:37 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    >> to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    >> branding.

    > That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

    I said "be able to"; they'd start out with their own colorations.
    Still, you have a point, and it's possible it'll never happen
    anyway, since corporations will probably insist that it look
    like that certain other solution which is already available... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  14. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:34:57 -0700, FAB wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would want the choice to have most distros be able to look almost
    >>> identical, for the purpose of industrial branding.

    >> That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

    > linux is not an "idea"...is was simply a way of avoiding paying for an
    > os when lt was in college.

    You might want to read a few of the FSF web pages.

    > Fanatics like you have simply blow it up into
    > something resembling a religion...when it was never meant to be a
    > religion. Oh, and rs is the real asshole!

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    FAB wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would want the choice to have most distros be able
    >>> to look almost identical, for the purpose of industrial
    >>> branding.

    >> That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

    > linux is not an "idea"...is was simply a way of avoiding paying for an
    > os when lt was in college. Fanatics like you have simply blow it up into
    > something resembling a religion...when it was never meant to be a religion.
    > Oh, and rs is the real asshole!

    Yes, that's how Linux started, right in the very very beginning. And
    then it became more than that, even with Linus Torvalds' own admission.

    Linux isn't a religion to me, nor will it ever be. But it's a great
    piece of software distributed for absolutely nothing and I think more
    people should be aware of it.

  16. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    Rick wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:34:57 -0700, FAB wrote:
    >

    >>Ben wrote:

    >>>That's kind of contrary to the whole idea of Linux...

    >>linux is not an "idea"...is was simply a way of avoiding paying for an
    >>os when lt was in college.

    > You might want to read a few of the FSF web pages.

    You might want to read a little history, if you can even read!

    >>Fanatics like you have simply blow it up into
    >>something resembling a religion...when it was never meant to be a
    >>religion. Oh, and rs is the real asshole!

  17. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >You, unlike others, enjoy humour and a good joust. Keep replying to the
    >trolls.

    Which trolls provide humour and/or a "good joust"? The
    shamelessly-lying, snotty asshole who has the gall to accuse advocates
    of being liars, based on his dishonest interpretations of what they
    write? The worthless twit who pretends that advocates are unhelpful
    jerks, with his "for the SEVENTH time" nonsense? The mentally-ill
    loser who has been trolling, for YEARS, with the same "why does Linux
    have only 1%, something must be wrong with it" BS, despite knowing
    damn well the historical reasons for the 1%? The POS who googles the
    world for Linux issues and posts them here, to "prove" that Linux
    users sometimes have issues?

    Sorry, but I don't see much potential for a "good joust" in any of the
    above, nor do I see much "humour" in some immoral asshole attacking
    people who are clearly the asshole's moral superiors.

  18. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:34:45 -0700, relic wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:52:11 +0000 (UTC), the wharf rat wrote:

    >>> I didn't even know cats could swim. Or do you mean you've
    >>> got them doing their AIT?

    >> Cute....
    >> Actually cats are very good swimmers.
    >> One of my cats, Tiberious, loves to swim in the pool.

    >> The others will swim to the end and hop out when tossed into the pool.

    > They won't if you put them into a burlap sack.

    You sound like a mean person.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  19. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:34:45 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Cute....
    >>> Actually cats are very good swimmers.
    >>> One of my cats, Tiberious, loves to swim in the pool.

    >>> The others will swim to the end and hop out when tossed into the
    >>> pool.

    >> They won't if you put them into a burlap sack.

    > You sound like a mean person.

    Moi? Didn't you see the "Kindly Old Gentleman" reference to me?

  20. Re: [News] KDE4 Desktop Finds Early Lovers

    chrisv wrote:

    >Which trolls provide humour and/or a "good joust"? The
    >shamelessly-lying, snotty asshole who has the gall to accuse advocates
    >of being liars, based on his dishonest interpretations of what they
    >write? The worthless twit who pretends that advocates are unhelpful
    >jerks, with his "for the SEVENTH time" nonsense? The mentally-ill
    >loser who has been trolling, for YEARS, with the same "why does Linux
    >have only 1%, something must be wrong with it" BS, despite knowing
    >damn well the historical reasons for the 1%? The POS who googles the
    >world for Linux issues and posts them here, to "prove" that Linux
    >users sometimes have issues?

    Oh, I almost forgot about the trolling fsckwit who claims that
    advocates are stupid | unreasonable | hypocritical because "they think
    this", when, in fact, they think nothing of the kind.