Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:45:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:14:02 GMT, thufir wrote: > >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:16:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: >> >> >>> Windows XP is rock solid ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51

  1. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:45:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:14:02 GMT, thufir wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:16:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Windows XP is rock solid on all of my systems that run it.

    >> Throw statistics out the window, now that we have this stunning
    >> anecdotal evidence proving...whatever.
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > You mean like the statistics that show Linux desktop at 0.6 percent of
    > market share?

    > Even the BBC pegged it at 0.8 percent and that's high because the Linux
    > loons were slamming the site demanding support for some video player.

    ..8% of web page hits agrees with Net Applications numbers. Explain that.
    And w3c says 3.7%

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:25:54 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:52:17 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:04:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Gary M "Flatfish" Stewart (fake name "Moshe Goldfarb") is a troll and
    >>> Microsoft Munchkins. Criminals like him needn't be convinced; they need
    >>> to be convicted. And thrown to jail, not Linux advocacy newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> - --

    >> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    > Then why isn't he?

    How do you know he isn't?

    >> Like the unauthorized use of copyrighted graphics which you continued to
    >> use on your website even after being asked by the author to remove them.

    > And did he go to jail or get fined?

    He finally removed them.
    But he sure took his sweet time.
    Just like he did when he was warned his Linux website was doing funny
    things to people's machines after they visited it.

    Narcissists tend to behave like that.

    >> I can't wait till the day when the companies you have libeled and
    >> slandered come looking for you.
    >> You have made some very serious statements on your hate websites and
    >> they have attracted a lot of attention, only not the kind of attention
    >> you would want to attract.

    > Attention from whom, and how do you know?

    Start with Novell.
    Move on to Microsoft.
    etc.
    Read some of the other blogs he posts to and you will see.

    >> You had better be enjoying your little fiefdom now because the time when
    >> you will have to pay the piper is quickly approaching.

    > Yeah, that means a lot coming from you.

    It's not coming from me.

    I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.
    If his statements are truthful and he can prove that in a court of law I
    would defend him to the last witness.

    If not...
    Then he has effectively screwed himself into the ground.

    >> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

    > Yup.. maniacal laughter coming from you... says a lot.

    What makes you think I care?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:52:17 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:04:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gary M "Flatfish" Stewart (fake name "Moshe Goldfarb") is a troll and
    >>> Microsoft Munchkins. Criminals like him needn't be convinced; they need
    >>> to be convicted. And thrown to jail, not Linux advocacy newsgroups.
    >>>

    >> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    > Then why isn't he?

    >> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    That "parental" tone and phrasing is pretty funny. What a pompous
    windbag!

    I remember my Mom yelling out

    "Christopher John I have a bone to pick with you!"

    >gulp<

    I'll bet Roy's quaking in his boots. Not.

    --
    I have more hit points that you can possible imagine.

  4. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:39:49 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    >> Then why isn't he?

    > >> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    > That "parental" tone and phrasing is pretty funny. What a pompous
    > windbag!
    >
    > I remember my Mom yelling out
    >
    > "Christopher John I have a bone to pick with you!"
    >
    > >gulp<

    > I'll bet Roy's quaking in his boots. Not.

    I doubt Roy Schestowitz is quaking in his boots either.
    Most narcissists wouldn't be.
    Until the day he gets that certified letter in the snail mail box.......

    --

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:07:13 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Start with Novell.

    Thanks for the advice, I have done. It's Enterprise Linux ;-)
    Nice of you to endorse it and finally accept Linux is king.
    --
    Dog walks down the road. Gust of wind. Dog inside out.
    I've replaced my 'old joke' signature because a better man than me told

  6. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:07:13 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:25:54 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    >> Then why isn't he?

    > How do you know he isn't?

    You said he should be. That implies he isn't.

    >>> Like the unauthorized use of copyrighted graphics which you continued
    >>> to use on your website even after being asked by the author to remove
    >>> them.

    >> And did he go to jail or get fined?

    > He finally removed them.
    > But he sure took his sweet time.

    So he didn't go to jail, not was he fined, nor was he prosecuted, not was
    he convicted.

    > Just like he did when he was warned his Linux website was doing funny
    > things to people's machines after they visited it.
    >
    > Narcissists tend to behave like that.

    You should know.

    >>> I can't wait till the day when the companies you have libeled and
    >>> slandered come looking for you.
    >>> You have made some very serious statements on your hate websites and
    >>> they have attracted a lot of attention, only not the kind of attention
    >>> you would want to attract.

    >> Attention from whom, and how do you know?

    > Start with Novell.
    > Move on to Microsoft.
    > etc.
    > Read some of the other blogs he posts to and you will see.

    So you are saying Novell and Microsoft are going to "come after" Roy. And
    you know this how?

    >>> You had better be enjoying your little fiefdom now because the time
    >>> when you will have to pay the piper is quickly approaching.

    >> Yeah, that means a lot coming from you.

    > It's not coming from me.

    Who's it coming from, and how do you know?

    > I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz. If his statements
    > are truthful and he can prove that in a court of law I would defend him
    > to the last witness.
    >
    > If not...
    > Then he has effectively screwed himself into the ground.
    >

    >>> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

    >> Yup.. maniacal laughter coming from you... says a lot.

    > What makes you think I care?

    Narcissist.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:40:50 -0400, Snowbat wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:23:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> OTOH, for Linux based systems, w3c schools says 3.8%
    >> and Netapplications
    >> says .8% , based
    >> on analysis of web page hits.

    > FWIW, W3Counter shows 1.95% for Linux.
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    I got the 3.8% (3.7, actually) from here:

    I wonder what the difference is between the 2 pages.

    > There are also AVG 8 link scanner hits identifying as IE6/XP skewing the
    > numbers in favor of Windows unless filtered out.
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/

    avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/

    Rick

  8. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On 2008-07-17, Rick wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:40:50 -0400, Snowbat wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:23:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> OTOH, for Linux based systems, w3c schools says 3.8%
    >>> and Netapplications
    >>> says .8% , based
    >>> on analysis of web page hits.

    >> FWIW, W3Counter shows 1.95% for Linux.
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > I got the 3.8% (3.7, actually) from here:
    >
    > I wonder what the difference is between the 2 pages.

    The national makeup of the the data might skew things too...

    [deletia]

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  9. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-07-17, Rick wrote:

    >>> FWIW, W3Counter shows 1.95% for Linux.
    >>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    >> I got the 3.8% (3.7, actually) from here:
    >>
    >> I wonder what the difference is between the 2 pages.

    > The national makeup of the the data might skew things too...
    >
    > [deletia]

    Yup. OSs like Linux (especially Ubuntu) are more popular in countries
    like Africa, where the cost-saving effect of using something like Linux
    Ubuntu is more economically viable than bowing to Microsoft.

    Also I believe that Linux is more popular in some parts of Europe and Asia.

    The USA isn't the whole world, remember that.

  10. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On 2008-07-17, Ben wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> I got the 3.8% (3.7, actually) from here:
    >>>
    >>> I wonder what the difference is between the 2 pages.

    >> The national makeup of the the data might skew things too...
    >>
    >> [deletia]
    >>

    > Yup. OSs like Linux (especially Ubuntu) are more popular in countries
    > like Africa, where the cost-saving effect of using something like Linux
    > Ubuntu is more economically viable than bowing to Microsoft.
    >
    > Also I believe that Linux is more popular in some parts of Europe and Asia.
    >
    > The USA isn't the whole world, remember that.

    Back in the day, the market share numbers for pre-hegemony PC's were
    a lot different over in Europe than over here (in the US).

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \
    simple date manipulations in postgres.

  11. Re: am i sitll a virgin?

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper, ye low-life thread, hoy doy, what a sweep of vanity
    > comes this way, ye penned:
    >
    >> can I get pregnant from oral sex?

    The newsgroup list says it all:

    alt.usenet.kooks