Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ben wrote on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:57:29 +0100 : > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote: >> Ezekiel wrote: >>> "thufir" wrote in message >>> news:KTqfk.7824$nD.5348@pd7urf1no... >>>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:16:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    :
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "thufir" wrote in message

    >>> But when statistics show that linux is at 0.6% of the desktop people
    >>> are expected to throw those statistics out the window and believe some
    >>> anonymous poster that linux marketshare is "much higher" because the
    >>> person has a "hunch" that it is.
    >>>

    >> They are NOT statistics, they are limited market research. Not the same
    >> thing at all.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Not to mention that these statistics are quickly invalidated as the
    > market develops. Just 2-3 years and the market share can look totally
    > different.

    It already has, at least as far as markethits is concerned;
    0.8% is the value they're reporting now.

    > We know that Linux is getting more and more popular, and
    > maybe the next time they perform research like that on a large scale,
    > they'll find that Linux's market share has risen considerably, which I
    > believe it has, but I won't claim it as fact so don't try to quote me as
    > having said it's a definite fact.

    Markethits reports monthly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  2. Re: FACT: Cost vs. Worthlessness of Ubuntu Linux

    FAB wrote:
    > measher****head, the oem ink drinking loser wrote:
    > -----------------------------------
    > Hey measher****head...invite everyone over to your hangout,
    > comp.periphs.printers so they can all be witness to how everyone over
    > there, and I mean everyone, totally hates your stupid, ignorant,
    > condescending guts for the lies you've told and all of the disruption
    > you've caused.
    > I told you I would get your sorry sick ass for all the problems you've
    > cause over there you austrian fascist atheist asshole pig!
    > But you didn't care about that did you? You only care about your
    > stupid POS self!
    > Well loser, payback is such a bitch ain't it loser!...LOL!

    Hi sweetheart. I guess you are a little upset. Take a Xanax or
    something and calm down. I will return your daughter to you. She was
    much better than your wife honey.

  3. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    Ben wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "thufir" wrote in message

    >>> But when statistics show that linux is at 0.6% of the desktop people
    >>> are expected to throw those statistics out the window and believe
    >>> some anonymous poster that linux marketshare is "much higher"
    >>> because the person has a "hunch" that it is.
    >>>

    >> They are NOT statistics, they are limited market research. Not the
    >> same thing at all.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Not to mention that these statistics are quickly invalidated as the
    > market develops. Just 2-3 years and the market share can look totally
    > different. We know that Linux is getting more and more popular, and
    > maybe the next time they perform research like that on a large scale,
    > they'll find that Linux's market share has risen considerably, which I
    > believe it has, but I won't claim it as fact so don't try to quote me
    > as having said it's a definite fact.

    When the likes of Canon, Nikon, Epson and HP support Linux out of the
    box with all of their product then we will all know it is the beginning
    of the end for Microsoft as they are today.

  4. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    measekite wrote:

    When the likes of Canon, Nikon, Epson and HP support Linux out of the
    > box with all of their product then we will all know it is the beginning
    > of the end for Microsoft as they are today.

    Oh please how your breath while waiting for that to happen!...LOL!

  5. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    * measekite peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > When the likes of Canon, Nikon, Epson and HP support Linux out of the
    > box with all of their product then we will all know it is the beginning
    > of the end for Microsoft as they are today.

    They don't need to support it out of the box. The support comes with
    your install CD/DVD set .

    HP, Borther, and Xerox are all well-supported, from the bit I've seen.

    --
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

  6. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    * WhKw peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Ben" wrote in message
    >
    >> Linux is just learning something new. Yes, you will use time looking for
    >> solutions to problems until you've learned how to use the OS. And then
    >> you're set.
    >>
    >> If you can't be bothered to learn this "new thing", then you're lazy, and
    >> Linux isn't an OS for you. If you're open minded to learning new ways of
    >> doing things, Linux may be a good OS for you to try out.

    > The way of Linsux is not new. Using linus is like going back in time 20
    > years.

    You've never seen a Linux box running Compiz, have you?

    And (for example) KDE has far more features, configurability, and
    eye-candy than anything Microsoft has put out, including Vista.

    For awhile, Microsoft seemed to be catching up with desktop and server
    features. The goal slipped from their grasp. Better luck next time
    (Windows 7).

    http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...s-7-again.aspx

    Gates recently appeared at the Windows Digital Lifestyle Consortium
    in Japan where he gave a little talk. ... Here's what he says about
    Windows 7 in this speech:

    We're hard at work, I would say, on the next version, which we
    call Windows 7. I'm very excited about the work being done there.
    The ability to be lower power, take less memory, be more
    efficient, and have lots more connections up to the mobile phone,
    so those scenarios connect up well to make it a great platform for
    the best gaming that can be done, to connect up to the thing being
    done out on the Internet, so that, for example, if you have two
    personal computers, that your files automatically are synchronized
    between them, and so you don't have a lot of work to move that
    data back and forth.

    This is a description of Live Mesh, not Windows 7. And that alone
    should give you pause about the accuracy of his other comments here.

    LOL.

    --
    divorce, n:
    A change of wife.

  7. Re: FACT: Cost vs. Worthlessness of Ubuntu Linux

    measekite wrote:

    > Hi sweetheart

    You're talking to your sheep?

    I guess you are a little upset.

    I don't care if you're fukkin sheep. That is your problem.

    Take a Xanax or
    > something and calm down.

    You're the one on drugs. Did you take the wrong ones?

    I will return your daughter to you.

    I don't have a daughter, that is a sheep you're fukkin you dumb piece of
    animal abusing perverted fukkin idiot moron loser.

    She was
    > much better than your wife honey.

    That was the other sheep you moron. The farmer is proly gonna shot that
    little dick and balls of yours off (if he can find them!) for fukkin
    with his sheep!...LOL!

  8. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On 2008-07-16, WhKw wrote:

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >>
    >>>An time sorting out the blue screen of death is not worth it either.

    >> The time installing the dozen or so utilities and programs required to
    >> make Windows actually useful for doing anything is not worth it.
    >>

    > And you spend time installing software for Linsux so that is a totally
    > assinine statement you Linturd

    What time?

    Tell it to install the apps of your choice and happily go about
    your business. Use your new app once it's finished.

    This isn't some 70's style MS-DOS derivative we're talking about here.

    Pretty much any OS has a better installation system than Windows these days.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    WhøKñèw wrote:
    > "Ben" wrote...
    >
    >> Linux is just learning something new. Yes, you will use time looking
    >> for solutions to problems until you've learned how to use the OS. And
    >> then you're set.
    >>
    >> If you can't be bothered to learn this "new thing", then you're lazy,
    >> and Linux isn't an OS for you. If you're open minded to learning new
    >> ways of doing things, Linux may be a good OS for you to try out.

    > The way of Linsux is not new. Using linus is like going back in time 20
    > years.

    ..... when a user's task may crash but it didn't take out the operating
    system;

    ..... when an operating system was a true multi-tasking operating system
    productively capable of supporting multiple users;

    ..... when one could keep an operating system up for months, even years;
    not like even WinXp which occasionally borks, no one knows what went
    wrong, shrugs shoulders and reboots as though this is the norm (but it
    wasn't 20 years ago);

    ..... when data bases used text based screens and text data (which they
    still do, but emphasis is on the pretty mouse interface which still
    doesn't make a whit of difference except the clickey mouse thing takes
    more time to input than before);

    ..... when a flatfish was a shallow water edible morsel and not a trolling
    POS who hates everything Linux;

    ..... when a quark was an atomic subparticle marveled at for discovery and
    not a loud mouthed, arrogant POS who hates Linux advocates;

    Oh, yeah, tell me about it.

    --
    HPT

  10. am i sitll a virgin?

    High Plains Thumper, ye low-life thread, hoy doy, what a sweep of vanity
    comes this way, ye penned:

    > can I get pregnant from oral sex?

  11. Re: am i sitll a virgin?

    Rick Mathers (Kadaitcha Man) nymthieving as High Plains Thumper lied:

    Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:09:31 -1200
    From: "High Plains Thumper"

    Give it up Rick. The more you post the more stupid you look.

    --
    HPT

  12. I Bonsai'd my pet

    High Plains Thumper, ye maggot-infested old trot, thou are the must
    chaff, and ye are smelt above the moon, ye hectored:

    > I was caught sniffing little girls bicycle seats.

  13. Re: I Bonsai'd my pet

    Wherefore Rick Mathers (Kadaitcha Man) clothed unto divers manners vile
    raiment, who doth now faileth to harken sundry times, having
    ears of cancored wax nymshifteth as High Plains Thumper spake dross:

    Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:09:21 -1200
    From: "High Plains Thumper"

    Give it up Rick. The more you post, the more stupid you look.

    --
    HPT

  14. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    WhKw wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >>
    >>>An time sorting out the blue screen of death is not worth it either.

    >> The time installing the dozen or so utilities and programs required to
    >> make Windows actually useful for doing anything is not worth it.

    >And you spend time installing software for Linsux so that is a totally
    >assinine statement

    Not necessarily. All the "core" utilities and apps come standard,
    while Windwoes comes with what? Minesweeper, an inadequate text
    editor, and a browser that's best replaced with an OSS alternative?

    >you Linturd

    Sticks and stones, fsckwit.

  15. How to dispel peace of mind

    High Plains Thumper, ye fool-born brassy bosom, thou art a boil, a
    plague sore, an embossed carbuncle in my corrupted blood, ye strained
    out:

    > I've always lacked the capacity to recognise and critically test
    > reality.

  16. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    WhKw wrote:

    >There you go.

    *plonk*

    There you go.

  17. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:23:30 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > OTOH, for Linux based systems, w3c schools says 3.8%
    > and Netapplications says
    > .8% , based on
    > analysis of web page hits.

    FWIW, W3Counter shows 1.95% for Linux.
    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    There are also AVG 8 link scanner hits identifying as IE6/XP skewing the
    numbers in favor of Windows unless filtered out.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...affic_numbers/

  18. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:14:02 GMT, thufir wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:16:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >

    >> Windows XP is rock solid on all of my systems that run it.

    > Throw statistics out the window, now that we have this stunning anecdotal
    > evidence proving...whatever.
    >

    > -Thufir

    You mean like the statistics that show Linux desktop at 0.6 percent of
    market share?

    Even the BBC pegged it at 0.8 percent and that's high because the Linux
    loons were slamming the site demanding support for some video player.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  19. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:04:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Gary M "Flatfish" Stewart (fake name "Moshe Goldfarb") is a troll and Microsoft
    > Munchkins. Criminals like him needn't be convinced; they need to be convicted.
    > And thrown to jail, not Linux advocacy newsgroups.
    >
    > - --

    Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    Like the unauthorized use of copyrighted graphics which you continued to
    use on your website even after being asked by the author to remove them.

    I can't wait till the day when the companies you have libeled and slandered
    come looking for you.
    You have made some very serious statements on your hate websites and they
    have attracted a lot of attention, only not the kind of attention you would
    want to attract.

    You had better be enjoying your little fiefdom now because the time when
    you will have to pay the piper is quickly approaching.

    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: [News] Cost vs. Worth of Ubuntu Linux

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:52:17 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:04:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Gary M "Flatfish" Stewart (fake name "Moshe Goldfarb") is a troll and
    >> Microsoft Munchkins. Criminals like him needn't be convinced; they need
    >> to be convicted. And thrown to jail, not Linux advocacy newsgroups.
    >>
    >> - --

    > Criminals like you Roy Schestowitz, should be prosecuted.

    Then why isn't he?

    > Like the unauthorized use of copyrighted graphics which you continued to
    > use on your website even after being asked by the author to remove them.

    And did he go to jail or get fined?

    > I can't wait till the day when the companies you have libeled and
    > slandered come looking for you.
    > You have made some very serious statements on your hate websites and
    > they have attracted a lot of attention, only not the kind of attention
    > you would want to attract.

    Attention from whom, and how do you know?

    > You had better be enjoying your little fiefdom now because the time when
    > you will have to pay the piper is quickly approaching.

    Yeah, that means a lot coming from you.

    > BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!

    Yup.. maniacal laughter coming from you... says a lot.

    --
    Rick