Top command - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Top command - Ubuntu ; I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who is me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know what 'top' is for. Thanks....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Top command

    I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who is
    me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know what
    'top' is for.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Top command

    al wrote:
    > I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who
    > is me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know
    > what 'top' is for.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try users and w or who for a listing of those users (I show 12 at the
    moment).

    Then take a look at man top for the other question.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Top command

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:59:19 -0400, al wrote:
    > I typed in 'top' and it shows two users.

    Yep, guess you and root.

    > There should be only one who is me.

    No, your system services/daemons and other tasks requiring
    special privs are running as root.

    > Obvious I don't know what 'top' is for.

    click up a terminal and do a

    man top

  4. Re: Top command

    * al wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who is
    > me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know what
    > 'top' is for.

    Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?

    next time try:

    man

    before you type in something at the CLI if you dont know what it is
    going to do.

    Now that the lecture is out of the way, typically the 2 users are you
    and root.

    --
    David
    Q: Why haven't you graduated yet?

  5. Re: Top command

    On 2008-07-16, al wrote:
    > I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who is
    > me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know what
    > 'top' is for.

    Do NOT type any command without knowing what it is used for. Research
    it. The command man is used to view manual pages for most commands.
    info also works in many cases. man top will tell you what top does
    and how to use it.

    The largest security risk in linux is social engineering. Someone
    could tell you to type commands that will be harmful to your system.
    To prevent this, always know what a command does before you use it.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: Top command

    SINNER wrote:
    > * al wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I typed in 'top' and it shows two users. There should be only one who is
    >> me. Can someone tell me what is going on here? Obvious I don't know what
    >> 'top' is for.
    >>

    > Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >
    > next time try:
    >
    > man
    >
    > before you type in something at the CLI if you dont know what it is
    > going to do.
    >
    > Now that the lecture is out of the way, typically the 2 users are you
    > and root.

    Hopefully he hasn't logged in as Root!

    The two users are more likely him, running an X session, and again, him,
    in a terminal running the top command.

    He would know by using users, w or who.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Top command

    ∑ SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:

    > Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >
    > next time try:
    >
    > man

    Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    Martin.
    --
    OS: openSUSE 10.2 (i586)
    Kernel: 2.6.18.8-0.10-default

  8. Re: Top command

    On 2008-07-16, Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    > ∑ SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >
    >> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>
    >> next time try:
    >>
    >> man

    > Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    > command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.
    >
    > Martin.

    He should also not trust *you* and therefore he should not *not* try
    it.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Top command

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:49:23 +0200, Martin Schnitkemper wrote:

    > ∑ SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >
    >> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>
    >> next time try:
    >>
    >> man

    > Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    > command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    $ man man

    Will tell you ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  10. Re: Top command

    ∑ Ignoramus30183 schrieb:

    > He should also not trust *you* and therefore he should not *not* try
    > it.

    I didn't adviced anything to try, so he can trust me.

    Martin.
    --
    OS: openSUSE 10.2 (i586)
    Kernel: 2.6.18.8-0.10-default

  11. Re: Top command

    * Martin Schnitkemper wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > ∑ SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >
    >> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>
    >> next time try:
    >>
    >> man

    > Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    > command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    Perhaps he has heard of google?

    He can also look up my posting history but YOU OTOH:

    So me thinks you are projecting....

    --
    David

  12. Re: Top command

    On 2008-07-16, SINNER wrote:
    > * Martin Schnitkemper wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> · SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >>
    >>> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>>
    >>> next time try:
    >>>
    >>> man

    >> Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    >> command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    > Perhaps he has heard of google?
    >
    > He can also look up my posting history but YOU OTOH:

    > So me thinks you are projecting....

    Considering that google groups doesn't archive aolu, that tag doesn't
    really matter here much... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  13. Re: Top command

    * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2008-07-16, SINNER wrote:
    >> * Martin Schnitkemper wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    >>> command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    >> Perhaps he has heard of google?
    >>
    >> He can also look up my posting history but YOU OTOH:

    >> So me thinks you are projecting....
    >>

    > Considering that google groups doesn't archive aolu, that tag doesn't
    > really matter here much... ;-)

    Point taken

    --
    David

  14. Re: Top command

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:49:23 +0200, Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >
    >> · SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >>
    >>> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>>
    >>> next time try:
    >>>
    >>> man

    >> Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    >> command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    > $ man man
    >
    > Will tell you ;-)

    This is the reason I keep coming back here.

    It saves me actually drinking my coffee. ;-)

    --
    "I got some new underwear the other day. Well, new to me." ~ Emo Philips

  15. Re: Top command

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Try users and w or who for a listing of those users (I show 12 at the
    > moment).
    >
    > Then take a look at man top for the other question.

    It shows me and a bunch of root. Plus one popped up as hal-daemo I think
    it was. Only showed for a second and then was gone.

    Thanks
    Al

  16. Re: Top command

    al wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Try users and w or who for a listing of those users (I show 12 at the
    >> moment).
    >>
    >> Then take a look at man top for the other question.

    > It shows me and a bunch of root. Plus one popped up as hal-daemo I
    > think it was. Only showed for a second and then was gone.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Al

    Are you saying that w, who and users show several root, hal-demo, etc.?
    I don't think so.

    You are instead looking at top. It shows the owners of processes, not
    who is logged into your system.

    Try the following and read the descriptions:

    man w

    man who

    man users

    man top

    --
    John

  17. Re: Top command

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Are you saying that w, who and users show several root, hal-demo, etc.?
    > I don't think so.
    >
    > You are instead looking at top. It shows the owners of processes, not
    > who is logged into your system.

    I thought you were saying those were switches to be used with top. Like
    top -w which wouldn't work and neither would the others. Learn something
    new everyday.

    Thanks
    Al

  18. Re: Top command

    al wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you saying that w, who and users show several root, hal-demo,
    >> etc.? I don't think so.
    >>
    >> You are instead looking at top. It shows the owners of processes, not
    >> who is logged into your system.
    >>

    > I thought you were saying those were switches to be used with top.
    > Like top -w which wouldn't work and neither would the others. Learn
    > something new everyday.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Al

    I never did like the term "switches." Reminds me too much of my
    grandmother and the peach tree out back, and how she and her peach tree
    switch could make me "dance" as she played her "music" on my calves. ;-)

    Windows (DOS) uses that term, but Unix/Linux prefers "options" for the
    same thing.

    Besides, "options" sounds to me like I have some choice in the matter. ;-)

    --
    John

  19. Re: Top command

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-16, Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >> · SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> schrieb:
    >>
    >>> Why would you type in top without knowing what it is for?
    >>>
    >>> next time try:
    >>>
    >>> man

    >> Why should he trust you? So long as he don't know for what the
    >> command "man" is for, he should *not* try it.

    > Because I 1) Told him what the man command does (rather than just
    > saying to try it), and 2) Google can verify it for him in about 3
    > seconds.

    .... and 3) quite a number of people read this and write comments and if
    no-one warns about the use of "man", that would mean it's pretty safe to
    use.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  20. Re: Top command

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:04:24 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > al wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are you saying that w, who and users show several root, hal-demo,
    >>> etc.? I don't think so.
    >>>
    >>> You are instead looking at top. It shows the owners of processes, not
    >>> who is logged into your system.
    >>>

    >> I thought you were saying those were switches to be used with top.
    >> Like top -w which wouldn't work and neither would the others. Learn
    >> something new everyday.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Al

    > I never did like the term "switches." Reminds me too much of my
    > grandmother and the peach tree out back, and how she and her peach tree
    > switch could make me "dance" as she played her "music" on my calves. ;-)
    >
    > Windows (DOS) uses that term, but Unix/Linux prefers "options" for the
    > same thing.
    >
    > Besides, "options" sounds to me like I have some choice in the matter. ;-)

    Some people call them "arguments", you looking at my pint?