Get rid of windows network in the file browser - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Get rid of windows network in the file browser - Ubuntu ; I'm doing my best to get rid of windoze (except Agent, Dan). I have turned off the Samba daemon, but the windoze network icon still appears in Network under Places. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?...

  1. Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    I'm doing my best to get rid of windoze (except Agent, Dan). I have turned off
    the Samba daemon, but the windoze network icon still appears in Network under
    Places. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?

  2. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:38:11 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > I'm doing my best to get rid of windoze (except Agent, Dan). I have turned off
    > the Samba daemon, but the windoze network icon still appears in Network under
    > Places. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?

    do you still have smbfs/smbclient installed?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  3. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:37:37 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:38:11 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> I'm doing my best to get rid of windoze (except Agent, Dan). I have turned off
    >> the Samba daemon, but the windoze network icon still appears in Network under
    >> Places. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?

    >do you still have smbfs/smbclient installed?

    Yeah, I do, but if I remove that half my installation goes with it.

  4. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On 2008-07-17, Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:37:37 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:38:11 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm doing my best to get rid of windoze (except Agent, Dan). I have turned off
    >>> the Samba daemon, but the windoze network icon still appears in Network under
    >>> Places. Is there a way to keep it from displaying?

    >>do you still have smbfs/smbclient installed?

    > Yeah, I do, but if I remove that half my installation goes with it.

    Odd...
    sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    [sudo] password for joe:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    required:
    libdns32 libxalan110 libxerces27
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    smbclient smbfs
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]

    Looks like removing these packages should be fairly harmless...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:50 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-07-17, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >>>do you still have smbfs/smbclient installed?

    >> Yeah, I do, but if I remove that half my installation goes with it.
    >>

    > Odd...
    > sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    > [sudo] password for joe:
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
    > required:
    > libdns32 libxalan110 libxerces27
    > Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    > The following packages will be REMOVED:
    > smbclient smbfs
    > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    > Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >
    > Looks like removing these packages should be fairly harmless...

    I presume if they are required they don't get removed:

    trevor@leoben:~$ sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    [sudo] password for trevor:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    smbclient smbfs ubuntu-desktop
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.102]
    Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]

    apart from ubuntu-desktop, won't cause a problem will it?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  6. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On 2008-07-17, Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:50 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> Yeah, I do, but if I remove that half my installation goes with it.
    >>>

    >> Odd...
    >> sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    >> [sudo] password for joe:
    >> Reading package lists... Done
    >> Building dependency tree
    >> Reading state information... Done
    >> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
    >> required:
    >> libdns32 libxalan110 libxerces27
    >> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    >> The following packages will be REMOVED:
    >> smbclient smbfs
    >> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >> Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >> Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >>
    >> Looks like removing these packages should be fairly harmless...

    > I presume if they are required they don't get removed:
    >
    > trevor@leoben:~$ sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    > [sudo] password for trevor:
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > The following packages will be REMOVED
    > smbclient smbfs ubuntu-desktop
    > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    > Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.102]
    > Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    > Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >
    > apart from ubuntu-desktop, won't cause a problem will it?

    Even ubuntu-desktop won't cause a problem. It's just a meta-package,
    after all. If it bothers you that much, reinstall the meta-package
    afterwards. I do not think smbfs or samba-client will be brought down
    with it...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Get rid of windows network in the file browser

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:31:19 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:49:50 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >>> Yeah, I do, but if I remove that half my installation goes with it.
    >>>

    >> Odd...
    >> sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    >> [sudo] password for joe:
    >> Reading package lists... Done
    >> Building dependency tree
    >> Reading state information... Done
    >> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
    >> required:
    >> libdns32 libxalan110 libxerces27
    >> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    >> The following packages will be REMOVED:
    >> smbclient smbfs
    >> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >> Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >> Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >>
    >> Looks like removing these packages should be fairly harmless...

    >I presume if they are required they don't get removed:
    >
    >trevor@leoben:~$ sudo apt-get -s remove smbfs smbclient
    >[sudo] password for trevor:
    >Reading package lists... Done
    >Building dependency tree
    >Reading state information... Done
    >The following packages will be REMOVED
    > smbclient smbfs ubuntu-desktop
    >0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    >Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.102]
    >Remv smbclient [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >Remv smbfs [3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4]
    >
    >apart from ubuntu-desktop, won't cause a problem will it?

    OK I tried apt-get; for some reason it didn't want to remove half the system as
    Synaptic said it would. smbf was not installed on any of my (3) systems. On 2
    of them openbsd-inetd was also removed and python-libuser & libuser1 were
    removed on all 3. I rebooted everything and windoze network is still there. I
    then commented out everything in exports and did the boot thing again; same
    result. Seems even in Linux windoze is trying to rule the world.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Roy

+ Reply to Thread