website spying - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on website spying - Ubuntu ; I am curious. When visiting websites, is it possible for the website to look at my hard drive and extract files such as mailing lists, provided there are no viruses or other issues on my drive? Are Linux computers less ...

  1. website spying

    I am curious.

    When visiting websites, is it possible for the website to look at my hard
    drive and extract files such as mailing lists, provided there are no
    viruses or other issues on my drive?

    Are Linux computers less susceptible to prying than Windows or Apple
    boxes?

    > viruses or other issues on my drive?

    Not normally. But if your browser is broken and there is something
    malicious on the website.

    > Are Linux computers less susceptible to prying than Windows or Apple
    > boxes?

    IMHO it is more work to secure a Windows box than a Linux box but it
    can be done. In WinXP e.g. if you fix the permissions, remove the
    admin without password, stop all unnecessary services, don't use
    Internet Explorer, use a virus scanner, keep the system up-to-date
    and are cautious with files of unknown origin, IMHO you can feel
    almost as safe as with a newly set up Linux box.

    Mac OS X is just a *nix flavour. You can make it as safe or unsafe as
    any Linux box.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

+ Reply to Thread