Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions? - Ubuntu ; Hi, I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I ...

  1. Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    Hi,

    I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?

    Thanks much!

    CD

  2. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    Cranky Dude wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    > news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    > but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    > filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    > such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    > similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    > site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >
    > CD

    right click on the article.

  3. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    * Cranky Dude wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    > news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    > but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    > filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    > such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    > similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    > site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >
    > CD

    Pan uses a score file and can use PCRE to filter just like slrn or Xnews
    for windows. I dont have it loaded ATM so cannot guide you to the setting
    that points to its existence but I beleive the default is ~/News/Score.

    All that said, I would revert to the stable build instead of the less
    feature rich beta.

    --
    David

  4. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:24 -0400, Cranky Dude wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    > news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    > but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    > filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    > such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    > similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    > site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?

    In header pane right click on a header and click on "Ignore Author".
    Using pan 0.119.

    Tomas

  5. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Cranky Dude wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    >> news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    >> but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    >> filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    >> such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    >> similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    >> site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?
    >>
    >> Thanks much!
    >>
    >> CD
    >>

    > Pan uses a score file and can use PCRE to filter just like slrn or Xnews
    > for windows. I dont have it loaded ATM so cannot guide you to the setting
    > that points to its existence but I beleive the default is ~/News/Score.
    >
    > All that said, I would revert to the stable build instead of the less
    > feature rich beta.

    Thanks very much. I'll search Google for the score file. I think I
    have the stable version and not the beta. I usually go for "last stable
    version" instead of betas.

    CD

  6. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    Tomas Pedersen wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:24 -0400, Cranky Dude wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    >> news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    >> but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    >> filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    >> such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    >> similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    >> site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?
    >>

    > In header pane right click on a header and click on "Ignore Author".
    > Using pan 0.119.
    >

    > Tomas

    This is not what I was looking for. I know I can kill one author but
    I'm trying to filter all the newsgroups I read on a more global basis.
    I'm trying to get rid of an individual who posts all over usenet with
    different names and varies his subject lines to make it difficult to
    killfile him. I need to set a rule that kills all messages for anyone
    who uses the characters M I 5 P e r s in a subject line whether those
    characters are together, spaced out, or separated by symbols.

    CD

  7. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:54:09 -0400, Cranky Dude wrote:

    > This is not what I was looking for. I know I can kill one author but
    > I'm trying to filter all the newsgroups I read on a more global basis.
    > I'm trying to get rid of an individual who posts all over usenet with
    > different names and varies his subject lines to make it difficult to
    > killfile him. I need to set a rule that kills all messages for anyone
    > who uses the characters M I 5 P e r s in a subject line whether those
    > characters are together, spaced out, or separated by symbols.
    >
    > CD

    On still right clicking the target header, choose "Add a scoring
    rule ..." & you will see a panel pop up that lets you choose what groups,
    the subject, sender, etc & other stuff to fine tune your parameters -
    choose the -9999 score to keep it from appearing. Once you see how it's
    set up, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

    --Amax

    --
    A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move
    and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

  8. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:24 -0400, Cranky Dude wrote:

    > I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird for
    > news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch to it
    > but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I have
    > filters containing regular expressions which filter certain spammers
    > such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to set up
    > similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the Pan web
    > site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the menu?

    Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings? Perhaps they can help
    you...

  9. Re: Can Pan Filter with Regular Expressions?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:54:09 -0400, Cranky Dude typed this message:

    > Tomas Pedersen wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:58:24 -0400, Cranky Dude wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I decided to try Pan again after several years of using Thunderbird
    >>> for news reading. I like the latest version and would like to switch
    >>> to it but I cannot find a way to filter articles. In Thunderbird I
    >>> have filters containing regular expressions which filter certain
    >>> spammers such as the MI5 idiot; but I cannot find anywhere in Pan to
    >>> set up similar filters and I didn't have much luck searching on the
    >>> Pan web site. Does Pan do filtering? If so, How? Or, where on the
    >>> menu?
    >>>

    >> In header pane right click on a header and click on "Ignore Author".
    >> Using pan 0.119.
    >>

    >> Tomas

    > This is not what I was looking for. I know I can kill one author but
    > I'm trying to filter all the newsgroups I read on a more global basis.
    > I'm trying to get rid of an individual who posts all over usenet with
    > different names and varies his subject lines to make it difficult to
    > killfile him. I need to set a rule that kills all messages for anyone
    > who uses the characters M I 5 P e r s in a subject line whether those
    > characters are together, spaced out, or separated by symbols.
    >
    > CD

    Haven't tried the M?I?5?P or M*I*5*P type rules but you can use
    if group name isn't "none" to match all newsgroups, then you could add
    the regex expression. Or add author rules as you need forever, ie, M_I_5,
    M-I-5, MI_5, etc.

    Thats Pan 0.132, not sure Pan 0.119 or 0.120 have the regex but you
    could edit the News/Score file.

+ Reply to Thread