older emails dissapearing in kmail - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on older emails dissapearing in kmail - Ubuntu ; Hi, I use kontact for e-mail, news & RSS feeds. Lately, I see that some old e-mails dissapeared. I can still see the subject, sender, and arrival date, as long as I don't click on them. As soon as I ...

  1. older emails dissapearing in kmail

    Hi,

    I use kontact for e-mail, news & RSS feeds.
    Lately, I see that some old e-mails dissapeared.
    I can still see the subject, sender, and arrival date, as long as I don't
    click on them.
    As soon as I click on them,the subject changes into no subject, the sender
    arrival date changes into unknown, and this seems to be irreversable.

    Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how to prevent it ?

    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: older emails dissapearing in kmail

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:07:22 +0200, MarcB wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use kontact for e-mail, news & RSS feeds. Lately, I see that some old
    > e-mails dissapeared. I can still see the subject, sender, and arrival
    > date, as long as I don't click on them. As soon as I click on them,the
    > subject changes into no subject, the sender arrival date changes into
    > unknown, and this seems to be irreversable.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how to prevent it ?

    It doesn't appear to be the default (at least in 8.04), but messages can
    be set to automatically delete based on storage space and number of
    messages.

    Have a look at Settings > Configure KMail > Accounts > Modify > General.

    For what it's worth, my emails are not disappearing. I have messages
    dating back to 2003, when I first started using KMail.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  3. Re: older emails dissapearing in kmail

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > Have a look at Settings > Configure KMail > Accounts > Modify > General.

    That box seems to relate to leaving messages on the server. Where is expiry
    of locally stored messages set?

    Under Settings > misc > folders there is a checkbox to exclude important
    messages from expiry, but where is this expiry regime set?

    TIA

    Peter

    -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to news@netfront.net --

  4. Re: older emails dissapearing in kmail

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:56:31 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:
    >> Have a look at Settings > Configure KMail > Accounts > Modify >
    >> General.
    >>

    > That box seems to relate to leaving messages on the server.

    Yes, I noticed that.

    > Where is expiry of locally stored messages set?

    I don't know. Speculating, perhaps when KMail is set to leave messages on
    the server, it does not store them locally.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  5. Re: older emails dissapearing in kmail

    MarcB wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu (<_p0fk.391$F21.291@newsfe05.ams2>) on
    Dienstag 15 Juli 2008 14:07:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use kontact for e-mail, news & RSS feeds.
    > Lately, I see that some old e-mails dissapeared.
    > I can still see the subject, sender, and arrival date, as long as I don't
    > click on them.
    > As soon as I click on them,the subject changes into no subject, the
    > sender arrival date changes into unknown, and this seems to be
    > irreversable.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how to prevent it ?

    I have a similar setup to yours and have seen similar behaviour in older
    versions and after kmail crashed. (not recently, though)

    I think it has something to do with kmail's index files not being
    up-to-date after the crash.

    There used to be some option to make kmail refresh it's mail index, but I
    can't seem to find it now...

    You may find https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...im/+bug/199367
    interesting.

    About your question concerning setting expiring times:
    right-click on the folder you want to set expiry times for and
    choose "Expire..."

    --Reinhold

+ Reply to Thread