Laptop wireless question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Laptop wireless question - Ubuntu ; I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10 I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I ...

  1. Laptop wireless question

    I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.

    This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.

    My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me working?

  2. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:24:33 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    > I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    > upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    > vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >
    > This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    > installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    > use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    > hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >
    > My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    > ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me
    > working?

    You're kidding, right? I've been using an Atheros based card since 6.10 -
    currently using 7.10; and ALWAYS with mad-wifi.

  3. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On 2008-07-15, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:24:33 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    >> I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    >> upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    >> vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >>
    >> This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    >> installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    >> use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    >> hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >>
    >> My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    >> ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me
    >> working?

    > You're kidding, right? I've been using an Atheros based card since 6.10 -
    > currently using 7.10; and ALWAYS with mad-wifi.

    The newer Atheros chips are not supported by MadWifi... The 500x
    series...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:08:42 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-07-15, ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:24:33 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under
    >>> 7.10 I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work.
    >>> When I upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I
    >>> decided to vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >>>
    >>> This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset
    >>> being installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are
    >>> both in use. However, the network manager states that there is no
    >>> wireless hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    >>> ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me
    >>> working?

    >> You're kidding, right? I've been using an Atheros based card since 6.10
    >> - currently using 7.10; and ALWAYS with mad-wifi.

    > The newer Atheros chips are not supported by MadWifi... The 500x
    > series...

    OK - thanks for the info. I have had a Dlink WNA 2330 for a couple of
    years and zero problems.

  5. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On 2008-07-16, ray wrote:
    > OK - thanks for the info. I have had a Dlink WNA 2330 for a couple of
    > years and zero problems.

    Yup. I use Netgears for the same reason. For a PCMCIA/Cardbus card,
    I always recommend Atheros. For the onboard chips, they are not quite
    there yet. I'd imagine it will work fine in the next release of
    Ubuntu, provided that the madwifi set is out of beta by then...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  6. Re: Laptop wireless question

    ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:24:33 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    >> I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    >> upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    >> vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >>
    >> This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    >> installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    >> use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    >> hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >>
    >> My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    >> ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me
    >> working?

    > You're kidding, right? I've been using an Atheros based card since 6.10 -
    > currently using 7.10; and ALWAYS with mad-wifi.

    Sorry to say that the madwifi system does not support the Atheros
    chipset in my Acer, neither does the alternate ath5.

+ Reply to Thread