    My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me working?

  2. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On 2008-07-15, Ian Pawson wrote:
    > I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    > I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    > upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    > vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >
    > This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    > installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    > use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    > hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >
    > My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    > ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me working?

    You have 2 choices...

    You can install the latest version of the Madwifi set from
    source. It is beta, but is reported to work. Downside is that you
    have to remove the restricted drivers manager, which requires you to
    also manually install nvidia or ati video drivers if you are using the
    default restricted drivers...

    The other option is to blacklist the Atheros restricted drivers, and
    install ndiswrapper and the Win drivers. I have been using these for
    the past year, and it works very well, and is reliable, though the
    performance seems a bit slower than I'd expect...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Laptop wireless question

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-15, Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> I have an Acer laptop that uses the Atheros wireless chipset. Under 7.10
    >> I used the windoze driver with the ndiswrapper to get it to work. When I
    >> upgraded to 8.04 this still worked. Now that 8.04.1 is out I decided to
    >> vape the existing setup and do a complete new install.
    >>
    >> This has resulted in 2 restricted drivers for the Ahetros chipset being
    >> installed, and the restricted drivers manager says that they are both in
    >> use. However, the network manager states that there is no wireless
    >> hardware and thus I get no wireless connection.
    >>
    >> My question is, am I missing something vital here, or should I use
    >> ndiswrapper to install the windoze driver which I know will get me working?

    > You have 2 choices...
    >
    > You can install the latest version of the Madwifi set from
    > source. It is beta, but is reported to work. Downside is that you
    > have to remove the restricted drivers manager, which requires you to
    > also manually install nvidia or ati video drivers if you are using the
    > default restricted drivers...
    >
    > The other option is to blacklist the Atheros restricted drivers, and
    > install ndiswrapper and the Win drivers. I have been using these for
    > the past year, and it works very well, and is reliable, though the
    > performance seems a bit slower than I'd expect...

    Thanks - I have now installed the ndiswrapper and the win driver. This
    is what I had before, but I thought I would ask the question before I
    put it in again on a new install.

  4. Re: Laptop wireless question

    On 2008-07-16, Ian Pawson wrote:
    > Thanks - I have now installed the ndiswrapper and the win driver. This
    > is what I had before, but I thought I would ask the question before I
    > put it in again on a new install.

    No problem. One of these days I am going to install the beta drivers
    on my laptop and see if they perform better. I just am a bit hesitant
    to do it until I know I have time to screw around, as it is a bit of
    an involved process...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread