ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem - Ubuntu ; I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image. I downloaded it from two different mirrors: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/ and http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases. After the image burned, when inserted in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

  1. ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.

    I downloaded it from two different mirrors:

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    and
    http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release

    I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases.
    After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro SP3
    on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD detected,"
    and gives up.

    The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The same
    DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The DVD is
    also bootable.

    I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro SP3
    boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning software
    set with the same poor result under Windows.

    In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded from
    the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero and
    DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces Input/Output
    errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3 test cases with out
    any verification app specific pattern.

    The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from
    the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.

    I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described with
    ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).

    I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    installation/re-installation if need.

    Any suggestions please?



  2. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    Vitorio Okio wrote:
    > I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >
    > I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >
    > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    > and
    > http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >
    > I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases.
    > After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro SP3
    > on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD detected,"
    > and gives up.
    >
    > The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The same
    > DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The DVD is
    > also bootable.
    >
    > I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro SP3
    > boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning software
    > set with the same poor result under Windows.
    >
    > In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded from
    > the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero and
    > DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces Input/Output
    > errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3 test cases with out
    > any verification app specific pattern.
    >
    > The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from
    > the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >
    > I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described with
    > ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >
    > I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    > installation/re-installation if need.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?



    You state the DVD is bootable. I presume you can run Ubuntu when you
    boot the LiveDVD?

    It's likely Windows is complaining on an "AutoRun" because there's no
    Windows code for it to recognize. IOW, it is designed to boot, not run
    under a foreign OS.

    However I am not familiar with the Hardy Heron .exe that allows
    installing Ubuntu in a Windows environment. There may be a way to
    AutoRun the CD/DVD in this case, but I have difficulty why anybody would
    want to run Linux in a Windows OS in the first place. If a "trail run"
    is desired, the "Live" option will provide that.

    I'm also not familiar with an Ubuntu DVD version. Where did you locate
    this DVD, and what does your "(previous release)" indicate?

    My experience is limited to CD media for installing Ubuntu, Debian, and
    many others. I do have DVDs of other distros, like Fedora Core 5, SUSE
    and Solaris, but I cannot find any DVD of Ubuntu.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  3. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem


    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    news:g5gr3p$vpi$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net...
    > Vitorio Okio wrote:
    >> I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    >> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >>
    >> I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >>
    >> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    >> and
    >> http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >>
    >> I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases.
    >> After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro
    >> SP3 on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD
    >> detected," and gives up.
    >>
    >> The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The
    >> same DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The
    >> DVD is also bootable.
    >>
    >> I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro
    >> SP3 boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning
    >> software set with the same poor result under Windows.
    >>
    >> In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded
    >> from the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero
    >> and DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces
    >> Input/Output errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3 test
    >> cases with out any verification app specific pattern.
    >>
    >> The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from
    >> the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >>
    >> I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described
    >> with ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >>
    >> I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    >> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    >> installation/re-installation if need.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    >
    >
    > You state the DVD is bootable. I presume you can run Ubuntu when you
    > boot the LiveDVD?


    Yes.

    > It's likely Windows is complaining on an "AutoRun" because there's
    > no Windows code for it to recognize. IOW, it is designed to boot,
    > not run under a foreign OS.


    Incorrect. This is LiveDVD. It is supposed to start running either
    in Windows or in Ubuntu as soon as it is inserted into DVD drive.

    And infact it does it in Hardy. Exactly as the DVD burned from
    ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image does.

    > However I am not familiar with the Hardy Heron .exe that allows
    > installing Ubuntu in a Windows environment. There may be a way to
    > AutoRun the CD/DVD in this case, but I have difficulty why anybody
    > would want to run Linux in a Windows OS in the first place. If a
    > "trail run" is desired, the "Live" option will provide that.


    It's not a question of "why anybody would"... I'm questioning image
    integrity considering faulty behaviour of DVD burned from it.

    > I'm also not familiar with an Ubuntu DVD version. Where did you
    > locate this DVD, and what does your "(previous release)" indicate?


    Just read my original post carefully and you find the answer on your
    first question in lines 4 and 6 (:->).

    What's to your second question, please compare the names of these 2
    files I reffered to in my original post:

    ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso
    vs.
    ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso

    I think you get an answer. :-)

    > My experience is limited to CD media for installing Ubuntu, Debian,
    > and many others. I do have DVDs of other distros, like Fedora Core
    > 5, SUSE and Solaris, but I cannot find any DVD of Ubuntu.


    And so was mine until I first used ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso. I found
    its convenient to have LiveCD, standard install CD, alternate install
    CD, and huge number of apps (in case you off line) packed in one DVD.

    I'd like to keep using it but not sure in image at this point. Though
    as you understand it's not a big deal, since I still can use a DVD I
    burned from the previous
    ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image.

    All I was trying to achieve with my post was to hear from others about
    any similar problems with this image.



  4. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > (...)
    > I do have DVDs of other distros, like Fedora Core 5, SUSE
    > and Solaris, but I cannot find any DVD of Ubuntu.


    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04.1/release/

    --
    Niklaus

  5. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso
    >image.
    >
    > I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >
    > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    > and
    > http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >
    > I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases. After the
    > image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro SP3 on an attempt to
    > Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD detected," and gives up.
    >
    > The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The same DVD is
    > OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The DVD is also bootable.
    >
    > I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro SP3 boxes
    > (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning software set with the
    > same poor result under Windows.
    >
    > In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded from the
    > first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero and DvdInfoPro under
    > Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces Input/Output errors at the very end of a
    > session in 2 out of 3 test cases with out any verification app specific
    > pattern.
    >
    > The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from the second
    > source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >
    > I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described with
    > ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >
    > I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    > installation/re-installation if need.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?



    I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen as
    a container of data to be read - not executed.

    *TimDaniels*



  6. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> (...)
    >> I do have DVDs of other distros, like Fedora Core 5, SUSE
    >> and Solaris, but I cannot find any DVD of Ubuntu.
    >>

    >
    > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04.1/release/



    Thank you for that information.

    Do you know if any older release was ever issued on a DVD iso?


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  7. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    Vitorio Okio wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > news:g5gr3p$vpi$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net...\
    >> You state the DVD is bootable. I presume you can run Ubuntu when you
    >> boot the LiveDVD?
    >>

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> It's likely Windows is complaining on an "AutoRun" because there's
    >> no Windows code for it to recognize. IOW, it is designed to boot,
    >> not run under a foreign OS.
    >>

    >
    > Incorrect. This is LiveDVD. It is supposed to start running either
    > in Windows or in Ubuntu as soon as it is inserted into DVD drive.
    >
    > And infact it does it in Hardy. Exactly as the DVD burned from
    > ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image does.
    >



    Well, I know that if it runs under Hardy, and not under Windows, then
    something is missing from the Windows OS.

    A "LiveCD" and I presume a "LiveDVD" would be the same: it is designed
    to boot and become the "live" OS.

    If it will run under Windows, then there must be some .exe file to execute.

    If you are running Vista, then there may be something different than
    what older Windows had, and I haven't a clue.


    >> However I am not familiar with the Hardy Heron .exe that allows
    >> installing Ubuntu in a Windows environment. There may be a way to
    >> AutoRun the CD/DVD in this case, but I have difficulty why anybody
    >> would want to run Linux in a Windows OS in the first place. If a
    >> "trail run" is desired, the "Live" option will provide that.
    >>

    >
    > It's not a question of "why anybody would"... I'm questioning image
    > integrity considering faulty behaviour of DVD burned from it.
    >



    My point was I have no need for such a use, therefore am not familiar
    with it, and cannot even recollect the name since it was so unimportant.

    I've spent ten minutes trying to locate the name of the Windows .exe
    file on the Ubuntu site, and I think that is ten minutes too much for
    something I have absolutely no interest in, and neither do you.

    Since md5sum verifies, then you have an exact copy of the image on the
    mirror. If it boots as a LiveCD, then it must be good. Just forget the
    Windows misbehaving part and install it.


    >> I'm also not familiar with an Ubuntu DVD version. Where did you
    >> locate this DVD, and what does your "(previous release)" indicate?
    >>

    >
    > Just read my original post carefully and you find the answer on your
    > first question in lines 4 and 6 (:->).
    >



    The first link indicates "cdimage" and that is as far as I went. I had
    no desire nor need to click the link to verify what it said.

    The second link had "mirror" so I took it to be a mirror with the same
    "cd" available. It does mention "dvd" in the pathname later on though. I
    didn't notice this earlier.

    You knew more about this than I did (and still do), and I couldn't read
    your mind. ;-)


    > What's to your second question, please compare the names of these 2
    > files I reffered to in my original post:
    >
    > ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso
    > vs.
    > ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso
    >
    > I think you get an answer. :-)
    >



    My thoughts at the time I replied were maybe this OP does not know the
    difference between a CD and a DVD, or just haphazardly calls them a DVD
    because that seems to be the popular media now days.

    I had no idea if you were a n00b, or someone as brilliant as Linus. I
    was just trying to make sure that we both were on the same page.

    Please accept my apology if you were offended by my checking.


    >> My experience is limited to CD media for installing Ubuntu, Debian,
    >> and many others. I do have DVDs of other distros, like Fedora Core
    >> 5, SUSE and Solaris, but I cannot find any DVD of Ubuntu.
    >>

    >
    > And so was mine until I first used ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso. I found
    > its convenient to have LiveCD, standard install CD, alternate install
    > CD, and huge number of apps (in case you off line) packed in one DVD.
    >
    > I'd like to keep using it but not sure in image at this point. Though
    > as you understand it's not a big deal, since I still can use a DVD I
    > burned from the previous
    > ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >
    > All I was trying to achieve with my post was to hear from others about
    > any similar problems with this image.



    Sorry I interrupted. Nobody had yet responded and I was curious, so I
    jumped in to verify that it was truly a DVD.

    I have not installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS desktop from optical media, except
    using the 8.04 LTS Server Edition CD. All of my other Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    systems were online dist-upgrades from 6.06 LTS.

    I only have two DVD drives mounted in two PCs, plus one portable that I
    can hook up in any other PC whenever needed. So far I've had to use it
    only once in the year I've had it available. That was last week to
    install Fedora Core 5, after trying openSuse 10 and Solaris 10, both
    which refused to install into only 128 MB of RAM. Then I promptly
    installed over the Fedora Core 5 with Debian 4.0, then Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    Server Edition, and removed the DVD drive.

    I see your point about a use for a DVD if you are off-line, but I also
    don't see any reason to have any OS on any computer if you cannot
    connect to some other computer, either on a LAN or the WAN.

    I had Solaris 10 installed on a higher-powered PC, but it could not
    detect the network interface. So what good is it in that case? Playing
    solitaire? ;-)

    Your reasons are yours and I don't question them. Sorry I couldn't help
    with a better answer, but without downloading the Ubuntu DVD and trying
    it, I wouldn't be able to truthfully reply.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  8. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem


    "Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
    news:PPidnZ4FkpHfgeHVnZ2dnUVZ_vjinZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    >>ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >>
    >> I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >>
    >> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    >> and
    >> http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >>
    >> I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases.
    >> After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro
    >> SP3 on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD
    >> detected," and gives up.
    >>
    >> The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The
    >> same DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The
    >> DVD is also bootable.
    >>
    >> I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro
    >> SP3 boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning
    >> software set with the same poor result under Windows.
    >>
    >> In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded
    >> from the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero
    >> and DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces
    >> Input/Output errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3 test
    >> cases with out any verification app specific pattern.
    >>
    >> The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from
    >> the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >>
    >> I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described
    >> with ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >>
    >> I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    >> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    >> installation/re-installation if need.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    >
    >
    > I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    > drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen as
    > a container of data to be read - not executed.
    >


    Hey folks,

    Do you ever read a post before starting to write a response?

    I clearly stated in my first post that I CAN boot from DVD. No
    problem with booting at all.

    The problem is different. The DVD burned from this specific image
    (8.04.1.iso) cannot be Auto Played in any of my Windows boxes.

    When at the same time the DVD burned from the image 8.04.iso (note the
    difference in versions, please) CAN be Auto Played. ON THE SAME BOXES.

    LOL. Look at the conversation that another two are having. The links
    they exchange are provided in my original post at the very top of it.

    People, read a post first, then start writing. The opposite way does
    not work. It never did.

    OK, folks forget about the entire issue. I'm giving up on it. :-)




  9. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>>I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso
    >>>image.
    >>>
    >>> I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >>>
    >>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    >>> and
    >>> http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >>>
    >>> I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both cases. After
    >>> the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows XP Pro SP3 on an attempt
    >>> to Auto Play DVD throws and error:"Invalid CD detected," and gives up.
    >>>
    >>> The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The same DVD
    >>> is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The DVD is also
    >>> bootable.
    >>>
    >>> I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro SP3 boxes
    >>> (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning software set with the
    >>> same poor result under Windows.
    >>>
    >>> In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded from the
    >>> first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero and DvdInfoPro under
    >>> Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces Input/Output errors at the very end of a
    >>> session in 2 out of 3 test cases with out any verification app specific
    >>> pattern.
    >>>
    >>> The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded from the
    >>> second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >>>
    >>> I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described with
    >>> ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >>>
    >>> I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    >>> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used for
    >>> installation/re-installation if need.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions please?

    >>
    >>
    >> I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    >> drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen as
    >> a container of data to be read - not executed.
    >>

    >
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Do you ever read a post before starting to write a response?
    >
    > I clearly stated in my first post that I CAN boot from DVD. No problem with
    > booting at all.


    Then why are you bitching about AutoPlay? A live DVD is not
    made to AutoPlay.

    *TimDaniels*



  10. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem


    "Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
    news:CridncRSj-bNy-HVnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@earthlink.com...
    > "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>
    >> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>> "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>>>I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    >>>>ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >>>>
    >>>> I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    >>>> and
    >>>> http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >>>>
    >>>> I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both
    >>>> cases. After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows
    >>>> XP Pro SP3 on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and
    >>>> error:"Invalid CD detected," and gives up.
    >>>>
    >>>> The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The
    >>>> same DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The
    >>>> DVD is also bootable.
    >>>>
    >>>> I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro
    >>>> SP3 boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning
    >>>> software set with the same poor result under Windows.
    >>>>
    >>>> In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded
    >>>> from the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero
    >>>> and DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces
    >>>> Input/Output errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3
    >>>> test cases with out any verification app specific pattern.
    >>>>
    >>>> The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded
    >>>> from the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >>>>
    >>>> I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described
    >>>> with ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >>>>
    >>>> I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    >>>> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used
    >>>> for installation/re-installation if need.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any suggestions please?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    >>> drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen
    >>> as
    >>> a container of data to be read - not executed.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Hey folks,
    >>
    >> Do you ever read a post before starting to write a response?
    >>
    >> I clearly stated in my first post that I CAN boot from DVD. No
    >> problem with booting at all.

    >
    > Then why are you bitching about AutoPlay? A live DVD is not
    > made to AutoPlay.
    >


    It IS made to AutoPlay, my friend.

    The 8.04 DVD beatifully AutoPlays in both Windows and Hardy.

    The 8.04.1 (problematic) DVD does the same in Hardy. It attempts to
    do it in Windows but fails. This what it is all about.



  11. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:37:12 GMT, "Vitorio Okio"
    wrote:

    >
    >"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
    >news:CridncRSj-bNy-HVnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@earthlink.com...
    >> "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>>> "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    >>>>>I wonder if anybody else had similar problem with
    >>>>>ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I downloaded it from two different mirrors:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/release/
    >>>>> and
    >>>>> http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distr...8.04.1/release
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I run md5sum against images and get positive results in both
    >>>>> cases. After the image burned, when inserted in DVD ROM, Windows
    >>>>> XP Pro SP3 on an attempt to Auto Play DVD throws and
    >>>>> error:"Invalid CD detected," and gives up.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The DVD is then can be open in Windows Explorer and browsed. The
    >>>>> same DVD is OK under Hardy. It is detected and auto played. The
    >>>>> DVD is also bootable.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I tried burning the image on 2 different Hardy and Windows XP Pro
    >>>>> SP3 boxes (both dual boot) with different hardware and burning
    >>>>> software set with the same poor result under Windows.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In addition verifying burned DVD integrity (for image downloaded
    >>>>> from the first of the sources above) with 3 different apps (Nero
    >>>>> and DvdInfoPro under Windows, cdck under Hardy) produces
    >>>>> Input/Output errors at the very end of a session in 2 out of 3
    >>>>> test cases with out any verification app specific pattern.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The same set of the DVD verification test for image downloaded
    >>>>> from the second source above gave positive results in all 3 apps.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I find it odd since I do not have any of the problems described
    >>>>> with ubuntu-8.04-dvd-i386.iso image (previous release).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I do not care much about Windows problems. I just wonder if
    >>>>> ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image is reliable and should be used
    >>>>> for installation/re-installation if need.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any suggestions please?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    >>>> drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen
    >>>> as
    >>>> a container of data to be read - not executed.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Hey folks,
    >>>
    >>> Do you ever read a post before starting to write a response?
    >>>
    >>> I clearly stated in my first post that I CAN boot from DVD. No
    >>> problem with booting at all.

    >>
    >> Then why are you bitching about AutoPlay? A live DVD is not
    >> made to AutoPlay.
    >>

    >
    >It IS made to AutoPlay, my friend.
    >
    >The 8.04 DVD beatifully AutoPlays in both Windows and Hardy.
    >
    >The 8.04.1 (problematic) DVD does the same in Hardy. It attempts to
    >do it in Windows but fails. This what it is all about.
    >

    Vitorio, it really has taken a long time in this thread for you to
    finally condense the problem into a simple set of three short
    sentences. If you had done that initially, your "problem" would have
    been much easier to understand, and perhaps would have generated more
    helpful responses.

    Clear communication really does seem to be difficult, doesn't it?
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  12. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    Wonderful!

    First you responded with this:

    >>>>> I believe that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD
    >>>>> drive. Instead, the current OS is booting up and the DVD is seen
    >>>>> as a container of data to be read - not executed.


    It clearly demonstrated that you simply did not read the post, which was
    all about AutoPlay.

    Then you followed up with this:

    >>> Then why are you bitching about AutoPlay? A live DVD is not
    >>> made to AutoPlay.


    It demonstrated not less clear that you simply did not have a clue about
    what Hardy Heron LiveDVD was.

    And now you blame me with unclear communication. Wonderful!

    > Vitorio, it really has taken a long time in this thread for you to
    > finally condense the problem into a simple set of three short
    > sentences. If you had done that initially, your "problem" would have
    > been much easier to understand, and perhaps would have generated more
    > helpful responses.


    Agree, it took a long time for me to deliver to you what was already
    contained in my first post.

    What's to the "problem"...

    Well, my first post starts (in the very first line of it BTW) with the
    clear and simple question:"I wonder if anybody else had similar problem
    with ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso image?"

    My post did not presented a "problem". Neither I was looking for a
    solution. All it was about - to learn if anybody had similar experience.

    And you can just trust me that I did have my own reasons to spend some
    time with the subject. I can even share it with you, if you do not
    trust. :->>>

    Best regards,
    Vito

  13. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    "Vitorio Okio" wrote:
    > And now you blame me with unclear communication. Wonderful!


    You idiot. "Jay Somerset" wrote that you didn't communicate well.

    *TimDaniels*



  14. Re: ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso problem

    I burnt onto a CD with this release of Ubuntu and can confirm no issue
    booting up either from Windows, Ubuntu or cold boot.



+ Reply to Thread