-:0 What process is it? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on -:0 What process is it? - Ubuntu ; Jim Cochrane wrote: > [Hi John. I meant to respond to your post (your response to my somewhat > long essay) several weeks ago, but I got busy and then lost your post - > had to switch to a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: -:0 What process is it?

  1. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > [Hi John. I meant to respond to your post (your response to my somewhat
    > long essay) several weeks ago, but I got busy and then lost your post -
    > had to switch to a new NNTP server when the one I was using flaked out,
    > which caused me to loose track of which posts were read and not read.
    > Anyway, it turned into a pretty good discussion, if I remember right.]



    Your memory exceeds mine, Jim. I've slept too many times since "several
    weeks ago" and am drawing a blank.

    Old age is hell. And then you die. ;-)

    I'm trying to remember if I have KDE installed on any of my Ubuntu or
    Debian boxen so I can do the ps myself and see if the screen 0 is
    indicated with a leading hyphen (-:0).

    So far I haven't found it anywhere, so it's back to Postfix, Dovecot,
    SpamAssassin, ClamAV, ... and the loss of more sanity! ;-)


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  2. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    On 2008-07-16, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >
    >> [Hi John. I meant to respond to your post (your response to my somewhat
    >> long essay) several weeks ago, but I got busy and then lost your post -
    >> had to switch to a new NNTP server when the one I was using flaked out,
    >> which caused me to loose track of which posts were read and not read.
    >> Anyway, it turned into a pretty good discussion, if I remember right.]

    >
    >
    > Your memory exceeds mine, Jim. I've slept too many times since "several
    > weeks ago" and am drawing a blank.
    >
    > Old age is hell. And then you die. ;-)


    Yep, that's life.

    I'm starting to get old, although I don' feel particularly old; but
    my memory's also not as good as it used to be.

    I think the discussion was about all the "If you can't deal with
    Linux/ubuntu/UNIX, just go back to Windows"-type flaming that often goes
    on here. I pointed out, I think, that we don't want people going back
    to Windows because that keeps MS's monopoly strong, which keeps causing
    hardships for us, like having to hear stuff like: "You're not running
    Windows? Are you a weirdo or something.", or worse. :-)

    [Actually, I recommend suggesting to people that if they can't handle
    Linux, that they switch to OS X - since it's superior to Windows and
    will probably be as easy (perhaps easier) for such people to use as
    Windows would; and it would tend to help weaken, not strengthen, MS's
    monopoly.]


    --


  3. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    On 2008-07-17, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > On 2008-07-16, John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Hi John. I meant to respond to your post (your response to my somewhat
    >>> long essay) several weeks ago, but I got busy and then lost your post -
    >>> had to switch to a new NNTP server when the one I was using flaked out,
    >>> which caused me to loose track of which posts were read and not read.
    >>> Anyway, it turned into a pretty good discussion, if I remember right.]

    >>
    >>
    >> Your memory exceeds mine, Jim. I've slept too many times since "several
    >> weeks ago" and am drawing a blank.
    >>
    >> Old age is hell. And then you die. ;-)

    >
    > Yep, that's life.
    >
    > I'm starting to get old, although I don' feel particularly old; but
    > my memory's also not as good as it used to be.
    >
    > I think the discussion was about all the "If you can't deal with
    > Linux/ubuntu/UNIX, just go back to Windows"-type flaming that often goes
    > on here. I pointed out, I think, that we don't want people going back
    > to Windows because that keeps MS's monopoly strong, which keeps causing
    > hardships for us, like having to hear stuff like: "You're not running
    > Windows? Are you a weirdo or something.", or worse. :-)
    >
    > [Actually, I recommend suggesting to people that if they can't handle
    > Linux, that they switch to OS X - since it's superior to Windows and
    > will probably be as easy (perhaps easier) for such people to use as
    > Windows would; and it would tend to help weaken, not strengthen, MS's
    > monopoly.]


    I would love to be able to recommend OSX to people, if Apple would get
    their collective heads out of their ass and start offering the OS free
    of the Hardware. Make it compatible with standard HW, and drop your
    hardware monopoly, and you can crush Gates and M$.

    Again, I'd still prefer Linux, but for people that are not comfortable
    with Linux, being able to legally install OSX on their existing
    hardware would make for a good alternative to returning to the ****
    OS...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    On 2008-07-17, Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-17, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-16, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>> Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ...

    >>
    >> [Actually, I recommend suggesting to people that if they can't handle
    >> Linux, that they switch to OS X - since it's superior to Windows and
    >> will probably be as easy (perhaps easier) for such people to use as
    >> Windows would; and it would tend to help weaken, not strengthen, MS's
    >> monopoly.]

    >
    > I would love to be able to recommend OSX to people, if Apple would get
    > their collective heads out of their ass and start offering the OS free
    > of the Hardware. Make it compatible with standard HW, and drop your
    > hardware monopoly, and you can crush Gates and M$.


    I agree that this would make it a lot easier for people to choose OSX
    over Windows and would probably noticeably increase Apple's OS market share.

    It'd be nice if people got used to the question, when buying a new
    computer: "And which operating system would you like on your new
    computer - Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX?"

    > Again, I'd still prefer Linux, but for people that are not comfortable
    > with Linux, being able to legally install OSX on their existing
    > hardware would make for a good alternative to returning to the ****
    > OS...



    --


  5. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > On 2008-07-16, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> [Hi John. I meant to respond to your post (your response to my somewhat
    >>> long essay) several weeks ago, but I got busy and then lost your post -
    >>> had to switch to a new NNTP server when the one I was using flaked out,
    >>> which caused me to loose track of which posts were read and not read.
    >>> Anyway, it turned into a pretty good discussion, if I remember right.]
    >>>

    >> Your memory exceeds mine, Jim. I've slept too many times since "several
    >> weeks ago" and am drawing a blank.
    >>
    >> Old age is hell. And then you die. ;-)
    >>

    >
    > Yep, that's life.
    >
    > I'm starting to get old, although I don' feel particularly old; but
    > my memory's also not as good as it used to be.
    >
    > I think the discussion was about all the "If you can't deal with
    > Linux/ubuntu/UNIX, just go back to Windows"-type flaming that often goes
    > on here. I pointed out, I think, that we don't want people going back
    > to Windows because that keeps MS's monopoly strong, which keeps causing
    > hardships for us, like having to hear stuff like: "You're not running
    > Windows? Are you a weirdo or something.", or worse. :-)
    >
    > [Actually, I recommend suggesting to people that if they can't handle
    > Linux, that they switch to OS X - since it's superior to Windows and
    > will probably be as easy (perhaps easier) for such people to use as
    > Windows would; and it would tend to help weaken, not strengthen, MS's
    > monopoly.]



    Although Apple's OS-X is superior to Windows, and Apple Inc. is a few
    notches above Micr0$lut, I can't say much more for it.

    It is not free -- not free of cost. Actually very expensive considering
    the hardware gotcha and Apple's constant (planned?) obsolescence.

    It is also not free -- libre free. Apple has a bunch of EULAs just like
    Micr0$quish.

    Apple has a big-time closed attitude. They have always had this "holier
    than thou" problem. They don't design to communicate with real world
    devices.

    Nevertheless, I have 13 Macs that date from the Mac Plus to the iMac 350
    MHz G3 "Slot Loading." None of them are as "good" as a standard PC
    running Windows XP or even Windows 98SE. They cannot "keep up," nor
    communicate to other devices with standard I/O protocols and hardware.

    When someone doesn't require hardware abilities, and only wants to use a
    GUI to do things like Internet, PhotoShop, Quicken, ..., then a new Mac
    is much better than a Windows PC.

    But once you've tasted and experienced the possibilities of a Unix-like
    OS running on an "open" hardware platform, the Mac, and of course
    Windows, just isn't in the running.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  6. Re: -:0 What process is it?

    Reply to message from Jim Cochrane invalid> (Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:35:55) about "Re: -:0 What process is it?":


    JC> On 2008-07-17, Joe wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-17, Jim Cochrane to-spam@no-spam-allowed.invalid>
    >> wrote:
    >>> On 2008-07-16, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>>> Jim Cochrane wrote:


    >>>>> ...


    >>> [Actually, I recommend suggesting to people that if they can't handle
    >>> Linux, that they switch to OS X - since it's superior to Windows and
    >>> will probably be as easy (perhaps easier) for such people to use as
    >>> Windows would; and it would tend to help weaken, not strengthen, MS's
    >>> monopoly.]


    >> I would love to be able to recommend OSX to people, if Apple would get
    >> their collective heads out of their ass and start offering the OS free
    >> of the Hardware. Make it compatible with standard HW, and drop your
    >> hardware monopoly, and you can crush Gates and M$.


    JC> I agree that this would make it a lot easier for people to choose OSX
    JC> over Windows and would probably noticeably increase Apple's OS market
    JC> share.

    JC> It'd be nice if people got used to the question, when buying a new
    JC> computer: "And which operating system would you like on your new
    JC> computer - Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX?"

    >> Again, I'd still prefer Linux, but for people that are not comfortable
    >> with Linux, being able to legally install OSX on their existing
    >> hardware would make for a good alternative to returning to the ****
    >> OS...



    JC> --

    I agree OS X is great for the new switcher user level. Linux is great for
    servers and advanced unix users. I think OS X is great for casual computer
    use but it is way too proprietary on the software and hardware level. I
    think it was a good move for your business to switch to linux servers.
    Gratz.


    Bye
    Sleepy Nick Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:52:15 -0700

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2