Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:11:20 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=28 > > Now up to 28 pages of random freezing discussion. > > Linux just works! What a mess. How can people use this garbage and better yet how ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:11:20 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=28
    >
    > Now up to 28 pages of random freezing discussion.
    >
    > Linux just works!

    What a mess.

    How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:06:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:11:20 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >> Now up to 28 pages of random freezing discussion.
    >>
    >> Linux just works!

    > What a mess.
    >
    > How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over in
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    Why do you care?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:06:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:11:20 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    > t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28
    >>>
    >>> Now up to 28 pages of random freezing discussion.
    >>>
    >>> Linux just works!

    >> What a mess.
    >>
    >> How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over in
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    > Why do you care?
    >

    > --
    > Rick

    Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

  4. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:23:36 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> What a mess.
    >>>
    >>> How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over
    >>> in comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    >> Why do you care?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    ... your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:BJWdnQpDvohZWebVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:23:36 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> Why do you care?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    > .. your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Wow. I'm not use to getting a normal response when commenting about Linux.
    Usually people call me a fanboy! Which I am not.

  6. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:27:32 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:23:36 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> Why do you care?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    > .. your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)

    Especially since he's not exactly being forthcoming as
    to identification of said "bunch of crappy programs".
    Granted, that might be excusable in certain cases -- does
    anyone know what program is run if one pulls down
    "System>Preferences>Main Menu" in Gnome? -- but he
    could have at least mentioned that, if that's one of his
    "crappy programs".

    (For the record, my system apparently couldn't find a
    needed program for that menu. Bug; I'm going to have
    to track it down at some point.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  7. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> What a mess.
    >>>
    >>> How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over in
    >>> comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    >> Why do you care?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    But it just works!
    caver1

  8. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    On 2008-07-14, Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> What a mess.
    >>>
    >>> How can people use this garbage and better yet how can the loons over in
    >>> comp.os.linux.advocacy claim it "just works".

    >> Why do you care?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    That last "thread of lockups" hadn't been updated in 2 months.

    Where's the current "thread of lockups"?

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  9. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    On 2008-07-14, caver1 wrote:
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:BJWdnRVDvohNKObVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=28

    >>> Why do you care?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs
    >>

    > But it just works!

    Quite often it does.

    My experience with the Hauppage 1212 so far have been much smoother
    under Linux than they have been under XP and Vista and I'm not even
    sure if the driver has had a "release" as such yet.

    Quite often it's not so much the relevant code quality but the "approach".

    Put simply, I don't need any "special tools" to sanity check a capture
    device. The Unix device scheme allows me to just dump data from the
    device and feed it into any movie player. It's an idea that sounds
    "hard" but in the end is actually quite "simple".

    Simple and easy are orthogonal.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  10. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    * Bill Yanaire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    >> .. your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)
    >>

    > Wow. I'm not use to getting a normal response when commenting about Linux.
    > Usually people call me a fanboy! Which I am not.

    How about "asshole"? Does that work for you?

    --
    While there's life, there's hope.
    -- Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)

  11. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Bill Yanaire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> .. your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)
    >>>

    >> Wow. I'm not use to getting a normal response when commenting about
    >> Linux. Usually people call me a fanboy! Which I am not.

    > How about "asshole"? Does that work for you?

    Awww... That's sweet.

  12. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    caver1 wrote:

    >Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>
    >> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    >But it just works!

    It's "perfect" for many situations!

    8)

  13. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    chrisv wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    >> But it just works!

    > It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >
    > 8)

    Drink Coaster?
    Birdcage liner?
    What?

  14. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* Bill Yanaire peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> .. your opinion... and you are welcome to it :-)
    >>>

    >> Wow. I'm not use to getting a normal response when commenting about
    >> Linux.
    >> Usually people call me a fanboy! Which I am not.

    > How about "asshole"? Does that work for you?

    If "****tard" works for you

  15. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:21:23 -0700, relic wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    >>> But it just works!

    >> It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >>
    >> 8)

    > Drink Coaster?
    > Birdcage liner?
    > What?

    Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:21:23 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >>>
    >>> 8)

    >> Drink Coaster?
    >> Birdcage liner?
    >> What?

    > Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    > rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...

    Web browsing, Email, IM, IRC, Usenet, multimedia playing, and
    increasingly, gaming.

    Just a few things I use Linux for myself.

  17. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:21:23 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >>>
    >>> 8)

    >> Drink Coaster?
    >> Birdcage liner?
    >> What?

    > Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    > rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >

    > --
    > Rick

    You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    animation rendering, etc.....

    If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.

    OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    basics.

    Glad to clarify that for you.

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Drink Coaster?
    >>> Birdcage liner?
    >>> What?

    >> Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    >> rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    > animation rendering, etc.....

    Two words: Open Office

    > If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    > other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.

    A lot of software used in Linux for things like office applications are
    cross-platform, and have popular Windows editions, and can export or
    work directly with formats used in Windows applications like MS office,
    as is the case with Open Office and GIMP, etc.

    > OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    > basics.

    Linux et al. can do faaar more than the basics these days.

  19. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    > animation rendering, etc.....

    Yeah, Pixar, Dreamworks, Disney and Industrial Light and Magic are all
    so "primitive."

    > If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    > other software. *That is where Microsoft comes in.

    Which version of Word are using there, Bud? Wait a minute, I'll get out Open
    Office and translate it for you -- so you two Windows users can talk to
    each other.

    > OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    > basics.

    What a load of crap. Just parrot the FUD, lie like a good little WinTroll.

    > Glad to clarify that for you.

    How did that lobotomy go, BTW?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  20. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    On 2008-07-15, Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Drink Coaster?
    >>> Birdcage liner?
    >>> What?

    >> Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    >> rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    > animation rendering, etc.....

    ...been "interacting" with Windows users for years.

    Most of them are oblivious to the fact that you aren't using office.

    They are also accustomed to the idea that different versions of
    office might not play nice with each other. So if you do manage to have
    a hangup of some sort, no one will get their panties in a bunch.

    > If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    > other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >
    > OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    > basics.
    >
    > Glad to clarify that for you.

    All you did was repeat a lie.

    You added no useful (IOW, falsifiable) details.

    You might as well be telling us the sky is green...

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast