Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes - Ubuntu ; "Ben" wrote in message news:g5j5mr$c3d$1@news.mixmin.net... > > Two words: Open Office Two Words - Beta Software Yes it is Beta software that Star Office is built upon. That's what I want is some crappy beta software. Oh wait, that's what ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Ben" wrote in message

    > Two words: Open Office

    Two Words - Beta Software
    Yes it is Beta software that Star Office is built upon. That's what I want
    is some crappy beta software. Oh wait, that's what Linsux is. crappy Beta
    software.

  2. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    > (For the record, my system apparently couldn't find a
    > needed program for that menu. Bug; I'm going to have
    > to track it down at some point.)

    Add it to the list

  3. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > Where's the current "thread of lockups"?

    Check Launchpad. You'll find more than you ever imagined

  4. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nobody cares about Linux or Ubuntu! Just a bunch of crappy programs

    >>But it just works!

    > It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >
    > 8)

    Barf

  5. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    pyurbutt wrote:
    > "Ben" wrote in message
    >> Two words: Open Office

    > Two Words - Beta Software
    > Yes it is Beta software that Star Office is built upon. That's what I want
    > is some crappy beta software. Oh wait, that's what Linsux is. crappy Beta
    > software.

    Wait a minute, Vista wasn't released in an unofficial beta stage at all,
    was it? The first stable release wasn't Vista, it was Vista Service Pack 1.

  6. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:21:23 -0700, relic wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> It's "perfect" for many situations!
    >>>
    >>> 8)

    >> Drink Coaster?
    >> Birdcage liner?
    >> What?

    > Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    > rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...

    Using Windows are you

  7. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    WhKw wrote:
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Drink Coaster?
    >>> Birdcage liner?
    >>> What?

    >> Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    >> rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >>

    > Using Windows are you

    Obviously not.

  8. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    Ben wrote:

    > Ùpyøurbuttøø wrote:
    >> "Ben" wrote in message
    >>> Two words: Open Office

    >> Two Words - Beta Software
    >> Yes it is Beta software that Star Office is built upon. That's what I
    >> want is some crappy beta software. Oh wait, that's what Linsux is. crappy
    >> Beta software.
    >>

    > Wait a minute, Vista wasn't released in an unofficial beta stage at all,
    > was it? The first stable release wasn't Vista, it was Vista Service Pack
    > 1.

    Vista ME Service Pack 1 is stable?

    (But I get your point.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    In article , Ben wrote:
    >Bill Yanaire wrote:

    (snip)

    >> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.

    In my experience, windows software is often incompatible with itself.
    Sometimes at the copy and paste level, sometimes at the controls level,
    occasionally at the 'simply doesn't talk to other MS s/w' level (works, for
    example).

    At the file level, it's worse - different s/w versions won't read previous
    version's files. Windows reads few file systems. Linux ... well there's a
    huge list that just work.

    >A lot of software used in Linux for things like office applications are
    >cross-platform, and have popular Windows editions, and can export or
    >work directly with formats used in Windows applications like MS office,
    >as is the case with Open Office and GIMP, etc.
    >Linux et al. can do faaar more than the basics these days.

    Oh yes. But should we not let the trolls fight among themselves until they
    die of hunger ?

  10. Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was: Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes)

    Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    > animation rendering, etc.....
    >
    > If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    > other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >
    > OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    > basics.
    >
    > Glad to clarify that for you.

    M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use ubuntu and
    it works well. I even edit video on it.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  11. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was:

    Fred wrote:

    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >

    >>You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >>animation rendering, etc.....
    >>
    >>If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >>other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>
    >>OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    >>basics.
    >>
    >>Glad to clarify that for you.

    > M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use ubuntu and
    > it works well. I even edit video on it.

    urbuttoo is a POS toy os for broke lying linux trolls who can't afford
    Vista, the very best OS available today.

  12. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was:

    Fred wrote:
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >

    >> You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >> animation rendering, etc.....
    >>
    >> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>
    >> OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    >> basics.
    >>
    >> Glad to clarify that for you.

    > M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use ubuntu and
    > it works well. I even edit video on it.

    Microsoft has always resorted to dirty tactics to put down competition.
    This kind of propaganda really isn't a first.

  13. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ben

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:43:55 +0100
    :
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    >>> rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >> animation rendering, etc.....

    > Two words: Open Office

    Both OO and MSO have many problems, and neither meets my
    particular needs, though I occasionally use oocalc for
    the quickie chart.

    (These problems aren't in the reliability department,
    though; it's mostly issues with proper generation of
    HTML/CSS.)

    >> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.

    > A lot of software used in Linux for things like office applications are
    > cross-platform, and have popular Windows editions, and can export or
    > work directly with formats used in Windows applications like MS office,
    > as is the case with Open Office and GIMP, etc.
    >

    >> OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    >> basics.
    >>

    > Linux et al. can do faaar more than the basics these days.

    It generally works very well for me, though I tend to nitpick specifics
    to death. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's there and it works.
    Windows. It's there, but does it work?

  14. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was:

    FAB wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>

    >>> You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >>> animation rendering, etc.....
    >>>
    >>> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >>> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>>
    >>> OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the
    >>> very
    >>> basics.
    >>>
    >>> Glad to clarify that for you.

    >> M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use
    >> ubuntu and
    >> it works well. I even edit video on it.
    >>

    > urbuttoo is a POS toy os for broke lying linux trolls who can't afford
    > Vista, the very best OS available today.

    If you say so.

  15. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was: Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes)

    Ben wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>

    >>> You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >>> animation rendering, etc.....
    >>>
    >>> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >>> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>>
    >>> OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the
    >>> very basics.
    >>>
    >>> Glad to clarify that for you.

    >> M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use
    >> ubuntu and
    >> it works well. I even edit video on it.
    >>

    > Microsoft has always resorted to dirty tactics to put down competition.
    > This kind of propaganda really isn't a first.

    Yeah, you know it. It's good in a way. If Linux wasn't starting to be a
    problem for them, they wouldn't bother. Great recognition, really.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  16. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was: Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting random hard freezes)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, FAB

    wrote
    on Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:51:03 -0700
    :
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>

    >>>You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >>>animation rendering, etc.....
    >>>
    >>>If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >>>other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>>
    >>>OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the very
    >>>basics.
    >>>
    >>>Glad to clarify that for you.

    >> M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use ubuntu and
    >> it works well. I even edit video on it.
    >>

    > urbuttoo is a POS toy os for broke lying linux trolls who can't afford
    > Vista, the very best OS available today.

    Well, there you are then; FAB hath set it, and it therefore must be
    true.

    .... or not.

    Followups.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

  17. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was:

    Ben wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>

    >>> You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    >>> animation rendering, etc.....
    >>>
    >>> If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    >>> other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.
    >>>
    >>> OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the
    >>> very
    >>> basics.
    >>>
    >>> Glad to clarify that for you.

    >> M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use
    >> ubuntu and
    >> it works well. I even edit video on it.
    >>

    > Microsoft has always resorted to dirty tactics to put down competition.
    > This kind of propaganda really isn't a first.

    "Facts" can hardly be labeled as "dirty tricks"!
    Just lie with it.

  18. Re: Wow. M$ is really turning up the inane propaganada machine (Was:

    Fred wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >

    >>Fred wrote:

    >>> M$ must be desperate if they're resorting to such lies. I use
    >>> ubuntu and
    >>>it works well. I even edit video on it.
    >>>

    >>Microsoft has always resorted to dirty tactics to put down competition.
    >>This kind of propaganda really isn't a first.

    > Yeah, you know it. It's good in a way. If Linux wasn't starting to be a
    > problem for them,...

    Who are "them"?

    they wouldn't bother....

    bother with what?

    Great recognition, really.

    We all recognize that you're all just a bunch of cross posting lying
    linux trolls.
    Nothing more.

  19. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:36:56 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:tdKdnVgCiYfiiuDVnZ2dnUVZ_v7inZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Drink Coaster?
    >>> Birdcage liner?
    >>> What?

    >> Word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, animation
    >> rendering, weather simulation, scanning, ...
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rick

    > You mean Primitive word processing, data manipulation, spreadsheets,
    > animation rendering, etc.....

    You don't get to tell me what I mean. And no, I didn't mean primitive.

    > If you need to work with others then you need something that WORKS with
    > other software. That is where Microsoft comes in.

    Or others can use the same applications you are.

    > OpenSores software is good for one user on one machine doing just the
    > very basics.
    >
    > Glad to clarify that for you.

    You might want to tell that to the studios in Hollywood... the ones that
    are using Linux based software on the desktop and on servers.

    Or the University of Florida, which uses Linux based software for online
    course management....

    Or the City of Largo, Fl, which uses Linux for servers and desktops....

    Or West Monroe Partners', in Chicago, which uses Linux based CMS...

    Or Chicago, which is running Oracle under Red Hat...

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Day after day, more and more Ubuntu victims reporting randomhard freezes

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:59:06 -0400, Ùpyøurbuttøø wrote:

    > "Ben" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Two words: Open Office

    > Two Words - Beta Software
    > Yes it is Beta software that Star Office is built upon. That's what I
    > want is some crappy beta software. Oh wait, that's what Linsux is.
    > crappy Beta software.

    Oh, wait... you are clueless.

    --
    Rick