where is my file? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on where is my file? - Ubuntu ; Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install" (or words to that effect) and now I can't find it! It would be useful (for me) ...

  1. where is my file?

    Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the
    download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install" (or
    words to that effect) and now I can't find it! It would be useful (for me)
    to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree' configuration, as seen in
    Windows using Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    nothing.

    Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and it
    sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely nothing
    to me).

    The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out and
    buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro, as Grub
    really screwed me.

    Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

  2. Re: where is my file?

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:30:23 -0400, Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

  3. Re: where is my file?

    > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the
    > download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install" (or
    > words to that effect) and now I can't find it! It would be useful (for me)
    > to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree' configuration, as seen in
    > Windows using Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    > nothing.

    Bash is installed by default, why did you need to download it again?
    Also, check out /var/lib/apt.

    > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and it
    > sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely nothing
    > to me).

    Use tar.

    > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out and
    > buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro, as Grub
    > really screwed me.

    With VMWare Player, you could run Win2k inside Linux. A Win2K license is
    required.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.10

  4. Re: where is my file?

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    > > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the
    > > download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install"

    (or
    > > words to that effect) and now I can't find it! It would be useful (for

    me)
    > > to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree' configuration, as

    seen in
    > > Windows using Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    > > nothing.

    > Bash is installed by default, why did you need to download it again?
    > Also, check out /var/lib/apt.

    Thanks for your reply but it was the instructional document i.e. "Bash-Doc"
    that I wanted to read.

    > > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and

    it
    > > sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely

    nothing
    > > to me).

    > Use tar.

    It might seem simple to you but what exactly do I do to "use tar" as you put
    it? Do I
    need to open a terminal window? Please provide a simple command line. Having
    un-tarred it (presumeably untarring is the same as uncompressing - correct
    me if
    I'm wrong) how do I install it?

    > > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out

    and
    > > buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro, as

    Grub
    > > really screwed me.

    > With VMWare Player, you could run Win2k inside Linux. A Win2K license is
    > required.

    Yeah, yeah, yeah there's probably other solutions too, depending upon what
    you
    need and what your skills are..

    > --
    > @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    > / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    > /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.10
    > ^ ^ 12:25:01 up 10 days 15:42 2 users load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00
    > (CSSA):
    > http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

    So communism is not working? What's new? HK was a ****hole when I visited
    it in the late 50's - under the British mandate.

  5. Re: where is my file?

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.07.14.00.51.39.728753@moria2.lan...
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:30:23 -0400, Alan Illeman wrote:
    >
    > > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the

    > ___________________
    > /| /| | |
    > ||__|| | Please do |
    > / O O\__ NOT |
    > / \ feed the |
    > / \ \ trolls |
    > / _ \ \ ______________|
    > / |\____\ \ ||
    > / | | | |\____/ ||
    > / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    > / / \ |____| ||
    > / | | /| | --|
    > | | |// |____ --|
    > * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    > *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    > / _ \\ _ // | /
    > * / \_ /- | - | |
    > * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________
    >

    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

    Thanks for nothing!

  6. Re: where is my file?

    Alan Illeman wrote:
    > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it

    Downloaded what?

    > through Synaptic but just as the
    > download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install" (or
    > words to that effect) and now I can't find it!

    Maybe in /usr/share/doc/bash-doc ?

    > It would be useful (for me)
    > to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree' configuration, as seen in
    > Windows using Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    > nothing.

    In a terminal, do:
    sudo updatedb
    locate bash-doc

    > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and it
    > sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely nothing
    > to me).

    Install using
    sudo apt-get install thunderbird

    To find out about .tar.gz, do:
    file filename.tar.gz

    > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out and
    > buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro, as Grub
    > really screwed me.

    > Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

    Hmmm, maybe you're really trolling?

    --
    Niklaus

  7. Re: where is my file?

    "Niklaus Kuehnis" wrote in message
    > Alan Illeman wrote:
    > > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it

    > Downloaded what?

    A file called BASH-DOC

    > > through Synaptic but just as the
    > > download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install"

    (or
    > > words to that effect) and now I can't find it!

    > Maybe in /usr/share/doc/bash-doc ?

    I'll give it a try..

    > > It would be useful (for me)
    > > to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree' configuration, as

    seen in
    > > Windows using Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    > > nothing.

    > In a terminal, do:
    > sudo updatedb
    > locate bash-doc

    Thanks!

    > > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and

    it
    > > sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely

    nothing
    > > to me).

    > Install using
    > sudo apt-get install thunderbird

    Thanks!

    > To find out about .tar.gz, do:
    > file filename.tar.gz

    "file filename.tar.gz" didn't do anything for me. Please explain.

    > > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out

    and
    > > buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro, as

    Grub
    > > really screwed me.

    > > Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

    > Hmmm, maybe you're really trolling?

    I've been using Windows for eons - it's the one constant in my life. Linux
    is very
    new to me. "bash-doc" sounds like documentation, wouldn't you agree? All I
    want
    to do is to READ THE DOCUMENTATION so as the understand the commands.
    If that same documentation is readable in Windows, I'm one step closer to
    achieving this goal

    Thanks anyway.

    > --
    > Niklaus

  8. Re: where is my file?

    Alan Illeman wrote:
    > "Niklaus Kuehnis" wrote in message
    > >
    > > To find out about .tar.gz, do:
    > > file filename.tar.gz

    > "file filename.tar.gz" didn't do anything for me. Please explain.

    OK. A bit too complicated, maybe. ".tar.gz" is a tar archive,
    compressed with gzip.

    If you are in the directory where a file called somefile.tar.gz lies,
    the command "file somefile.tar.gz" will tell you what kind of file it
    is.

    > > > Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

    > > Hmmm, maybe you're really trolling?

    > I've been using Windows for eons - it's the one constant in my
    > life. Linux is very new to me. "bash-doc" sounds like
    > documentation, wouldn't you agree? All I want to do is to READ THE
    > DOCUMENTATION so as the understand the commands. If that same
    > documentation is readable in Windows, I'm one step closer to
    > achieving this goal.

    "Running" an Ubuntu package in Windows is an odd idea. No offense.

    bash-doc puts a bashref.pdf into /usr/share/doc/bash . Probably too
    complicated and comprehensive for a beginner.

    /usr/share/doc/bash/README.commands.gz might be a good
    starting-point.

    You might also check out this one (also available as PDF):
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  9. Re: where is my file?

    > Thanks for your reply but it was the instructional document i.e. "Bash-Doc"
    > that I wanted to read.

    You could google "linux bash tutorial", "linux bash guide", ... lots of
    information. I myself have never read "bash-doc".

    > It might seem simple to you but what exactly do I do to "use tar" as you put
    > it? Do I need to open a terminal window? Please provide a simple command line. Having

    The typical method is:

    mkdir ~/temp
    cd ~/temp
    tar xzvf /path/to/bash-doc.tar.gz

    Now the stuff from the decompressed tar is in ~/temp, where ~ is your
    home directory.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.10
    ^ ^ 20:30:01 up 10 days 23:47 2 users load average: 1.04 1.42 1.63
    (CSSA):

  10. Re: where is my file?

    King Dan, you better stop driving away new customers....

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26

  11. Re: where is my file?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > King Dan, you better stop driving away new customers....

    You are not working for Micro$oft and pretend to be a linux monk here,
    are you?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
    ^ ^ 20:45:01 up 11 min 1 user load average: 1.25 1.80 1.23
    (CSSA):

  12. Re: where is my file?

    Alan Illeman wrote:
    > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but
    > just as the download was being completed saw "program will be
    > cached for install" (or words to that effect) and now I can't
    > find it! It would be useful (for me) to be able to see the file
    > directories in a 'tree' configuration, as seen in Windows using
    > Explorer! The original was BASH-DOC but searches reveal
    > nothing.
    >
    > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a
    > bad experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded
    > Thunderbird and it sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ"
    > extension which means absolutely nothing to me).
    >
    > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to
    > rush out and buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for
    > Windows 2000 Pro, as Grub really screwed me.
    >
    > Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

    The appearance of Linux can be deceptively close to the
    appearance of Windows, but it is very different under the covers
    and fairly different in the user interfaces too.

    One immediate thing you need to know is that file names are
    case-sensitive in Linux. "BASH-DOC" and "bash-doc" are two
    different names, not the same at all.

    You can get information about bash by typing "man bash" or "info
    bash" on a command line. To get a command line in Ubuntu Linux,
    click Applications / Accessories / Terminal.

    However, what you really need at this point, more than anything
    else, is a good book on Linux. There are lots of them. They are
    usually pretty cheap. You can get one in most any store that
    sells computer books, or online from Amazon, or possibly at your
    local public library - though you'd be better off buying a new
    one if the ones at the library are more than a couple of years
    old.

    You can even get free Linux books. Google for:

    free downloadable linux books

    There are lots of them. See for example:

    http://www.linux-books.us/ubuntu_0002.php

    Using a new, unfamiliar OS is always difficult. If you persist,
    learn a little more each day, and keep using it, you will find
    Linux can do pretty much everything that Windows can, and is not
    really any harder to learn or use. It's just that you learned
    Windows so long ago and over such a long period, that you've
    forgotten how much time it took you to get to the level of skill
    with Windows that you have now.

    Alan

  13. Re: where is my file?

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:30:23 -0400, Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Don't understand Bash so downloaded it through Synaptic but just as the
    > download was being completed saw "program will be cached for install"
    > (or words to that effect) and now I can't find it!

    Select the package in synaptic and the click the "Properties" button.
    Under the "Installed Files" tab you will see the name and location of all
    files installed by the package.

    > It would be useful
    > (for me) to be able to see the file directories in a 'tree'
    > configuration, as seen in Windows using Explorer!

    Open you file manager by clicking on using you top menubar.
    Choose "Places:Computer"

    "nautilus" is what you would call the ubuntu version of explorer.
    Now you can point and click through your filesystem like on windows.
    Wow, amazing.

    > The original was
    > BASH-DOC but searches reveal nothing.

    "bash" is a command, so if you open a terminal and type "bash"
    it will run.

    "bash-doc" Contains documentation and examples for bash.

    > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and
    > it sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely
    > nothing to me).

    Figure out what bash is and more about your system before you play with
    grub.

    > The only good thing to come out of all this, is that I had to rush out
    > and buy another computer, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 2000 Pro,
    > as Grub really screwed me.

    Buying another computer will not make you smarter.

    > Will http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bash-doc run in Windows?

    bash-doc is a collection of documentation files and sample bash
    scripts/examples. You don't run "bash-doc", you read it. I don't know
    if you can find a bash-doc package for windows. You can copy the files
    from your ubuntu filesystem to a save_location (flash-drive, windows
    partition, floppy, etc.) Then move the save_location to your windows box.

    cp -a /usr/share/doc/bash /usr/share/doc/bash-doc save_location

    stonerfish

  14. Re: where is my file?

    On 2008-07-14, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Thanks for your reply but it was the instructional document i.e. "Bash-Doc"
    >> that I wanted to read.

    > You could google "linux bash tutorial", "linux bash guide", ... lots of
    > information. I myself have never read "bash-doc".

    I would also recommend that. And I recommend asking in an appropriate
    news group for recommendations on a good tutorial on bash (and, perhaps,
    UNIX) for someone new to shells and UNIX/Linux - comp.unix.shell might
    be a good place to ask. (You could try asking here, too, but I suspect
    the unix shell group will give better results.)

    You want to find a tutorial aimed at the beginner, rather than someone
    already familiar with shells.

    --

  15. Re: where is my file?

    On 2008-07-14, Alan Illeman hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > "Dan C" wrote in message
    >
    > Thanks for nothing!

    The above dude is one of the few "Gnu/Linux" users residing in my
    "kill-file" and if you hadn't quoted him, I wouldn't have seen his
    garbage. Don't know if your sorry excuse for a news-reader is
    able to kill-file posters you don't want to see. Of not just ignore
    him.

    So now to my help: If you search for something on google you
    may try fe. "Linux bash documentation" *with* the quote:

    "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Linux+Bash+documentation%22&btnG=Google+Search"

    It will limit the output of your searches, sometimes it will
    not find anything and you will have to use other term. I
    know searching on the web can be a PIA :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric

  16. Re: where is my file?

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:30:23 -0400, Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Besides 'BASH-DOC' I selected 'GRUB-DOC' (as I've already had a bad
    > experience with Grub), and TAR-DOC (as I've downloaded Thunderbird and
    > it sits on my desktop with a ".TAR.GZ" extension which means absolutely
    > nothing to me).

    Where did you get Thunderbird from? If you install it through Synaptic,
    it will be correctly installed and ready to go.

    But if you are absolutely set on installing Thunderbird from the .tar.gz
    archive: right-click on it, and select to open it with "Archive Manager".
    Extract it to your Desktop, then have a look in the folder that appears.
    There will likely be a README or INSTALL file that will explain how to
    install it. But this will probably be too involved for you. Installing
    via Synaptic is the way to go.

+ Reply to Thread