CD R/W Not Writable - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CD R/W Not Writable - Ubuntu ; I recently tried brasero for first time, and was surprised to see the Hitachi drive in this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop flagged as *Not Writable* by the burner application. Surprised because I'd never had trouble with this drive and any ...

  1. CD R/W Not Writable

    I recently tried brasero for first time, and was surprised to see the
    Hitachi drive in this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop flagged as *Not Writable* by
    the burner application. Surprised because I'd never had trouble with this
    drive and any other Linux I've tried, including Edgy. (I now have Mint
    Cassandra/Feisty).

    The drive is mounted, and can play cd's and dvd's fine. I just cannot write
    to it. I've only tried one brand of CD r/w so far.

    Here is the relevant section of lshw:

    *-cdrom
    product: RW/DVD GCC-4241N
    vendor: HL-DT-ST
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/scd0
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: A101
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
    configuration: ansiversion=5
    *-disc
    physical id: 0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom

    And this is the entry in /etc/fstab:

    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 users,rw,auto 0 0

    Has anyone heard of a problem with this drive? Or perhaps the configuration
    is incorrect?

    *R* *H*

    --
    "His one secret thought, became like a chain, binding down his spirit, and,
    like a serpent, gnawing into his heart; and he was transformed into a sad

    Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Roger Malvin's Burial"

  2. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    On 2008-07-11, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > I recently tried brasero for first time, and was surprised to see the
    > Hitachi drive in this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop flagged as *Not Writable* by
    > the burner application. Surprised because I'd never had trouble with this
    > drive and any other Linux I've tried, including Edgy. (I now have Mint
    > Cassandra/Feisty).

    Hi RH! Have you tried eliminating the gui and using a commandline burn?
    My apologies if this is well known to you but my most utilised CLI burn
    would be the following to burn an .iso file to dvd:

    $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=my_files.iso

    This _should_ work if this drive has worked with other distros and then
    the finger would be pointing well and truly at brasero.

    Andrew

    --
    CD and DVD Writing from the Linux Command Line
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/burning.html

  3. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    Rockinghorse Winner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I recently tried brasero for first time, and was surprised to see the
    > Hitachi drive in this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop flagged as *Not Writable* by
    > the burner application. Surprised because I'd never had trouble with this
    > drive and any other Linux I've tried, including Edgy. (I now have Mint
    > Cassandra/Feisty).
    >
    > The drive is mounted, and can play cd's and dvd's fine. I just cannot write
    > to it. I've only tried one brand of CD r/w so far.
    >
    > Here is the relevant section of lshw:
    >
    > *-cdrom
    > product: RW/DVD GCC-4241N
    > vendor: HL-DT-ST
    > physical id: 1
    > bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    > logical name: /dev/cdrom
    > logical name: /dev/dvd
    > logical name: /dev/scd0
    > logical name: /dev/sr0
    > version: A101
    > capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
    > configuration: ansiversion=5
    > *-disc
    > physical id: 0
    > logical name: /dev/cdrom
    >
    > And this is the entry in /etc/fstab:
    >
    > /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 users,rw,auto 0 0
    >
    > Has anyone heard of a problem with this drive? Or perhaps the configuration
    > is incorrect?
    >
    > *R* *H*

    First thing to try is change the auto to "noauto" in your fstab

    If that doesn't help -
    It sounds like your user is not being granted access to the "cdrom"
    group.

    What hnappens when you run
    $ gksudo brasero
    from a terminal window?

    --
    "When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had
    that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas..." ~

  4. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Moog had the audacity to say that:

    > Rockinghorse Winner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I recently tried brasero for first time, and was surprised to see the
    >> Hitachi drive in this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop flagged as *Not Writable* by
    >> the burner application. Surprised because I'd never had trouble with this
    >> drive and any other Linux I've tried, including Edgy. (I now have Mint
    >> Cassandra/Feisty).
    >>
    >> The drive is mounted, and can play cd's and dvd's fine. I just cannot write
    >> to it. I've only tried one brand of CD r/w so far.
    >>
    >> Here is the relevant section of lshw:
    >>
    >> *-cdrom
    >> product: RW/DVD GCC-4241N
    >> vendor: HL-DT-ST
    >> physical id: 1
    >> bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    >> logical name: /dev/cdrom
    >> logical name: /dev/dvd
    >> logical name: /dev/scd0
    >> logical name: /dev/sr0
    >> version: A101
    >> capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
    >> configuration: ansiversion=5
    >> *-disc
    >> physical id: 0
    >> logical name: /dev/cdrom
    >>
    >> And this is the entry in /etc/fstab:
    >>
    >> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 users,rw,auto 0 0
    >>
    >> Has anyone heard of a problem with this drive? Or perhaps the configuration
    >> is incorrect?
    >>
    >> *R* *H*

    > First thing to try is change the auto to "noauto" in your fstab
    >
    > If that doesn't help -
    > It sounds like your user is not being granted access to the "cdrom"
    > group.
    >
    > What hnappens when you run
    > $ gksudo brasero
    > from a terminal window?

    I changed the fstab, but there was no difference. And brasero via gksudo
    gives the same notice: disk is not writable.

    It's also unusual in that brasero takes a long time (~60 seconds) to
    initialize, while no errors appear on the CLI.

    I have also been unsucessful in getting the CLI command wodim to burn a file
    to disk. Here are the errors wodim throws up:

    wodim: No write mode specified.
    wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
    wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
    Quickly guessing the name of a drive capable to write CD-R, please wait...
    Found /dev/cdrw, assuming dev=/dev/cdrw
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 5
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
    Identification : 'RW/DVD GCC-4241N'
    Revision : 'A101'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
    Speed set to 4234 KB/s
    wodim: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.
    wodim: Cannot load media with this drive!
    wodim: Try to load media by hand.
    Re-load disk and hit
    wodim: Cannot get next writable address for 'invisible' track.
    wodim: This means that we are checking recorded media.
    wodim: This media cannot be written in streaming mode anymore.
    wodim: If you like to write to 'preformatted' RW media, try to blank the
    media first.
    Speed set to 4234 KB/s
    Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 24.0 in real TAO mode for single session.
    Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
    wodim: Cannot get next writable address for 'invisible' track.
    wodim: This means that we are checking recorded media.
    wodim: This media cannot be written in streaming mode anymore.
    wodim: If you like to write to 'preformatted' RW media, try to blank the
    media first.
    wodim: Cannot get next writable address.

    When I try to blank the disk I get the error:

    Errno: 5 (Input/output error), blank unit scsi sendcmd: no error
    CDB: A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
    Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 06 00 00
    Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
    Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x06 (cannot format medium - incompatible medium) Fru
    0x0
    Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
    cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 9600s
    wodim: Cannot blank disk, aborting.

    Can you make sense of this?

    Might another brand/type of disk work better? I'll have to try that.

    If I can't get it to work, I have the option to swap out this drive for another
    or get an external drive, and hope I find one that works!

    BTW, when I ran brasero on a Toshiba Satellite it started up immediately and
    burned disks w/o problem using the same type of disks. This was the same
    Mint Cassandra/Feisty that i'm using on this Dell. So I guess I may infer
    it's some h/w incompatibility.

    *R* *H*

    --
    "His one secret thought, became like a chain, binding down his spirit, and,
    like a serpent, gnawing into his heart; and he was transformed into a sad
    and downcast, yet irritable man."

    Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Roger Malvin's Burial"

  5. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Rockinghorse Winner had the audacity to say that:

> [...]

    > Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 24.0 in real TAO mode for single session.
    > Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
    > wodim: Cannot get next writable address for 'invisible' track.
    > wodim: This means that we are checking recorded media.
    > wodim: This media cannot be written in streaming mode anymore.
    > wodim: If you like to write to 'preformatted' RW media, try to blank the
    > media first.
    > wodim: Cannot get next writable address.
    >
    > When I try to blank the disk I get the error:
    >
    > Errno: 5 (Input/output error), blank unit scsi sendcmd: no error
    > CDB: A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
    > Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 06 00 00
    > Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
    > Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x06 (cannot format medium - incompatible medium) Fru

    I get the following errors in my dmseg readout:

    7886.304000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.304000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.308000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.308000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.312000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.312000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.312000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.312000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.316000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.316000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.320000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.320000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.584000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.584000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7886.584000] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1200
    [ 7886.584000] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 150
    [ 7917.420000] Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

    does the drive not recognize the cdr?

    *R* *H*

    --
    "His one secret thought, became like a chain, binding down his spirit, and,
    like a serpent, gnawing into his heart; and he was transformed into a sad
    and downcast, yet irritable man."

    Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Roger Malvin's Burial"

  6. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    On 2008-07-11, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > The drive is mounted

    Just being pedantic: actually the filesystem on the disc inside the
    drive is mounted.

    --
    Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its
    operating manual.

  7. Re: CD R/W Not Writable

    Rockinghorse Winner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > BTW, when I ran brasero on a Toshiba Satellite it started up immediately and
    > burned disks w/o problem using the same type of disks. This was the same
    > Mint Cassandra/Feisty that i'm using on this Dell. So I guess I may infer
    > it's some h/w incompatibility.

    Possibly a problem with the media or the drive alignment.

    You are seeing everything correctly but the media is coming back as
    unwritable.

    Borrow or beg another drive and see if it is the same.

    --
    "So I went down my local ice~cream shop, and said 'I want to buy an
    ice~cream'. He said Hundreds & thousands?' I said 'We'll start with

+ Reply to Thread