I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo - Ubuntu ; I run Ubuntu. Several kernel releases, starting at 2.6.24-17, would not boot, using the lilo boot loader. I use lilo. I messed around, and discovered that to get lilo to boot the latest kernels, I had to increase the compression ...

  1. I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo

    I run Ubuntu.

    Several kernel releases, starting at 2.6.24-17, would not boot, using the
    lilo boot loader. I use lilo.

    I messed around, and discovered that to get lilo to boot the latest
    kernels, I had to increase the compression of the initrd file.

    So, to boot the latest kernels with lilo, I had to do something like:

    cp /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /tmp/x
    zcat /tmp/x | gzip --best >/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    lilo

    I post this information so that anyone searching about this can find my
    solution to this problem.

    --
    The collection of any taxes which are not
    absolutely required for the public welfare is only

    -- Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)

  2. Re: I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo

    Joe User schrieb:
    > I run Ubuntu.
    >
    > Several kernel releases, starting at 2.6.24-17, would not boot, using the
    > lilo boot loader. I use lilo.
    >
    > I messed around, and discovered that to get lilo to boot the latest
    > kernels, I had to increase the compression of the initrd file.
    >
    > So, to boot the latest kernels with lilo, I had to do something like:
    >
    > cp /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /tmp/x
    > zcat /tmp/x | gzip --best >/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    > lilo
    >
    > I post this information so that anyone searching about this can find my
    > solution to this problem.

    Should be the same as http://bugs.debian.org/479607 where lilo fails to
    boot if the initrd is > 8MiB

  3. Re: I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:53:17 +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:

    > Joe User schrieb:
    >> I run Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Several kernel releases, starting at 2.6.24-17, would not boot, using
    >> the lilo boot loader. I use lilo.
    >>
    >> I messed around, and discovered that to get lilo to boot the latest
    >> kernels, I had to increase the compression of the initrd file.
    >>
    >> So, to boot the latest kernels with lilo, I had to do something like:
    >>
    >> cp /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /tmp/x zcat /tmp/x | gzip --best
    >> >/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic lilo

    >> I post this information so that anyone searching about this can find my
    >> solution to this problem.
    >>

    > Should be the same as http://bugs.debian.org/479607 where lilo fails to
    > boot if the initrd is > 8MiB

    Thank you for that information. This is probably the problem I am having.

    But, the file sizes involved:

    Does boot: 8644752 bytes

    Does not boot: 8730349 bytes

    8 MiB: 8388608 bytes

    Probably, you have identified the problem. But, I am still booting with
    an initrd file greater than 8MiB bytes long.

    I like lilo. I want to keep using lilo. I have used lilo since the
    mid-90's, and I have a bunch of scripts that manipulate lilo
    configurations.

    It looks like the version of lilo on the Ubuntu
    repository is out of date.

    Thanks again.

    --
    A right is not what someone gives you; it's what
    no one can take from you.

    -- Ramsey Clark

  4. Re: I had to rezip the initrd file to boot with lilo

    Joe User schrieb:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:53:17 +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:
    >
    >> Joe User schrieb:
    >>> I run Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Several kernel releases, starting at 2.6.24-17, would not boot, using
    >>> the lilo boot loader. I use lilo.
    >>>
    >>> I messed around, and discovered that to get lilo to boot the latest
    >>> kernels, I had to increase the compression of the initrd file.
    >>>
    >>> So, to boot the latest kernels with lilo, I had to do something like:
    >>>
    >>> cp /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic /tmp/x zcat /tmp/x | gzip --best
    >>> I post this information so that anyone searching about this can find my
    >>> solution to this problem.
    >>>

    >> Should be the same as http://bugs.debian.org/479607 where lilo fails to
    >> boot if the initrd is > 8MiB

    > Thank you for that information. This is probably the problem I am having.
    >
    > But, the file sizes involved:
    >
    > Does boot: 8644752 bytes
    >
    > Does not boot: 8730349 bytes
    >
    > 8 MiB: 8388608 bytes
    >

    > Probably, you have identified the problem. But, I am still booting with
    > an initrd file greater than 8MiB bytes long.
    >
    > I like lilo. I want to keep using lilo. I have used lilo since the
    > mid-90's, and I have a bunch of scripts that manipulate lilo
    > configurations.
    >
    > It looks like the version of lilo on the Ubuntu
    > repository is out of date.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Well, the fix debian does is nothing more than displaying an warning.
    There was some widespread discussion about this particular lilo issue on
    debian lists and as far as I remember there probabbly won't be any real
    lilo in the near future so being outdated is not that much of an problem.

    Christoph

+ Reply to Thread