Can't download photos from camera. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can't download photos from camera. - Ubuntu ; Hi people, It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I could just plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open the windows and copy over the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Can't download photos from camera.

    Hi people,
    It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I could just
    plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the number was
    Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find that
    directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me what
    directory it's looking for.
    How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  2. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:16:24 -0400, Fred wrote:

    > Hi people,
    > It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    > could just
    > plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    > the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    > nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    > Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the number
    > was
    > Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    > with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    > synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    > was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find
    > that directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me
    > what directory it's looking for.
    > How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    /dev/raw1394 isn't a directory it's a device used to transfer video over
    firewire. What is your method of hookup? USB? Should your camera be on
    'playback' to transfer photos? What model camera is it? Your camera's
    flash memory should be mounted in /media. It should appear in the start
    menu under 'Places'.

  3. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:38:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:16:24 -0400, Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Hi people,
    >> It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    >> could just
    >> plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I
    >> open the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera,
    >> and nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback
    >> function.
    >> Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the
    >> number was
    >> Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    >> with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    >> synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one
    >> that was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't
    >> find that directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never
    >> tells me what directory it's looking for.
    >> How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    > /dev/raw1394 isn't a directory it's a device used to transfer video over
    > firewire. What is your method of hookup? USB? Should your camera be on
    > 'playback' to transfer photos? What model camera is it? Your camera's
    > flash memory should be mounted in /media. It should appear in the start
    > menu under 'Places'.

    Have you checked to see that the device isn't actually available in the
    places menu on the gnome-panel, with the new gnome gvfs the behaviour has
    been changed so things plugged in via usb don't automount to the desktop
    anymore

  4. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:16:24 -0400, Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Hi people,
    >> It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    >> could just
    >> plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    >> the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    >> nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    >> Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the
    >> number was
    >> Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    >> with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    >> synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    >> was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find
    >> that directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me
    >> what directory it's looking for.
    >> How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    > /dev/raw1394 isn't a directory it's a device used to transfer video over
    > firewire.

    I think of a device as being hardware, but ...?

    > What is your method of hookup? USB?

    Yes, it looks like a USB cable, but th4e 1394 is firewire, isn't it. ...?

    > Should your camera be on
    > 'playback' to transfer photos?

    Yes. That's how it's always worked before.

    > What model camera is it?

    Fujifilm S9000

    > Your camera's
    > flash memory should be mounted in /media.

    It's not. I just have cdrom, cdrom0, floppy. and floppy0

    > It should appear in the start
    > menu under 'Places'.

    I switched to KDE and don't have "Places" anymore.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  5. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Michael Stephenson wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:38:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:16:24 -0400, Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi people,
    >>> It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    >>> could just
    >>> plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I
    >>> open the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera,
    >>> and nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback
    >>> function.
    >>> Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the
    >>> number was
    >>> Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    >>> with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    >>> synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one
    >>> that was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't
    >>> find that directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never
    >>> tells me what directory it's looking for.
    >>> How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    >> /dev/raw1394 isn't a directory it's a device used to transfer video over
    >> firewire. What is your method of hookup? USB? Should your camera be on
    >> 'playback' to transfer photos? What model camera is it? Your camera's
    >> flash memory should be mounted in /media. It should appear in the start
    >> menu under 'Places'.

    > Have you checked to see that the device isn't actually available in the
    > places menu on the gnome-panel, with the new gnome gvfs the behaviour has
    > been changed so things plugged in via usb don't automount to the desktop
    > anymore

    As you'll see from my recent message I changed to kde. But I should still
    be able to get my photos. Who's responsible for screwing up gnome like
    that?

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  6. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Fred wrote:

    > Michael Stephenson wrote:

    >>> /dev/raw1394 isn't a directory it's a device used to transfer video over
    >>> firewire. What is your method of hookup? USB? Should your camera be on
    >>> 'playback' to transfer photos? What model camera is it? Your camera's
    >>> flash memory should be mounted in /media. It should appear in the start
    >>> menu under 'Places'.

    >> Have you checked to see that the device isn't actually available in the
    >> places menu on the gnome-panel, with the new gnome gvfs the behaviour has
    >> been changed so things plugged in via usb don't automount to the desktop
    >> anymore

    > As you'll see from my recent message I changed to kde. But I
    > should still
    > be able to get my photos. Who's responsible for screwing up gnome like
    > that?

    OH, I remember now that /dev/raw1394 is what my video camera uses. It may
    have nothing to do with my still camera.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  7. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Fred wrote:

    > Hi people,
    > It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    > could just
    > plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    > the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    > nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    > Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the number
    > was
    > Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    > with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    > synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    > was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find
    > that
    > directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me what
    > directory it's looking for.
    > How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    on my openSUSE system & KDE 3.5.x ........
    can i see the camera from konqueror
    "camera:/"
    "system:/media/camera"
    "media:/camera"

    or if not ptp protocol and USB mass
    "/media/camera"

    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memories/img/EOS20D.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  8. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    EOS wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Hi people,
    >> It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I
    >> could just
    >> plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    >> the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    >> nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    >> Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the
    >> number was
    >> Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    >> with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    >> synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    >> was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find
    >> that
    >> directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me what
    >> directory it's looking for.
    >> How do I get my photos onto the computer?
    >>

    > on my openSUSE system & KDE 3.5.x ........
    > can i see the camera from konqueror
    > "camera:/"
    > "system:/media/camera"
    > "media:/camera"

    I don't see any of this. There is no "camera" file, (or device) listed
    anywhere on my file system.

    > or if not ptp protocol and USB mass
    > "/media/camera"

    I don't know what this means.

    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memories/img/EOS20D.png

    I see three windows there that don't relate to anything on my computer.
    That's the problem, I guess. Might there be a program that looks after
    creating that directory? I could be missing something.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  9. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Fred wrote:

    > I see three windows there that don't relate to anything on my computer.
    > That's the problem, I guess. *Might there be a program that looks after
    > creating that directory? *I could be missing something.

    install digikam ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 11.0

  10. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    EOS wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> I see three windows there that don't relate to anything on my computer.
    >> That's the problem, I guess. *Might there be a program that looks after
    >> creating that directory? *I could be missing something.

    > install digikam ;-)

    I did it. It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera either. It
    can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much difference?
    I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  11. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    What is your camera and what is yur version of linux? What is the
    output of

    sudo tail -20 /var/log/messages

    after you plug in your camera and count to 10?

    On 2008-07-11, Fred wrote:
    > Hi people,
    > It used to be so simple, one of the reasons I loved Linux. I could just
    > plug in my camera and there is was as a remote digital disk. Then I open
    > the windows and copy over the photos. Now I plug in the camera, and
    > nothing happens. The camera is turned on to it's playback function.
    > Now I used to have a directory /dev/raw1394 or whatever the number was
    > Anyway there's no directory there and I expect that has something to do
    > with it. I've tried several camera programs and I install them with
    > synaptic, but I can never find the program to start them and the one that
    > was installed automatically, won't run, probably because it can't find that
    > directory. It says "Directory doesn't exist." but it never tells me what
    > directory it's looking for.
    > How do I get my photos onto the computer?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Ignoramus16038 wrote:

    > What is your camera and what is yur version of linux? What is the
    > output of
    >
    > sudo tail -20 /var/log/messages
    >
    > after you plug in your camera and count to 10?

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  13. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    On 2008-07-12, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Ignoramus16038 wrote:
    >>
    >> What is your camera and what is yur version of linux? What is the
    >> output of
    >>
    >> sudo tail -20 /var/log/messages
    >>
    >> after you plug in your camera and count to 10?

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links:

    Please do not post. Your answer belongs in alt.test, or off of usenet
    altogether... **** your links...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Fred wrote:

    > I did it. *It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera either.
    > It can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much
    > difference? I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.

    The Fujifilm FinePix S9000 (named FinePix S9500 in Europe)
    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj.../s9000-gen.php
    so i think you can use the S9500 in digikam.

    do you use KDE 3.5.x or KDE 4.0.x ?
    If you use KDE 4.0.x i schould replace it with KDE 3.5.9
    KDE 4 is not yet complet if you compair with KDE 3.5.9 ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 11.0

  15. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    EOS wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> I did it. *It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera either.
    >> It can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much
    >> difference? I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.

    > The Fujifilm FinePix S9000 (named FinePix S9500 in Europe)
    > http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj.../s9000-gen.php
    > so i think you can use the S9500 in digikam.
    >
    > do you use KDE 3.5.x or KDE 4.0.x ?
    > If you use KDE 4.0.x i schould replace it with KDE 3.5.9
    > KDE 4 is not yet complet if you compair with KDE 3.5.9 ;-)

    It's the 3.5.9 version.
    I'll be busy for a while today and then I'll get back to it.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  16. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Fred wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >
    >> Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see three windows there that don't relate to anything on my computer.
    >>> That's the problem, I guess. Might there be a program that looks after
    >>> creating that directory? I could be missing something.

    >> install digikam ;-)

    > I did it. It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera either. It
    > can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much difference?
    > I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.

    I just bought a cheap card reader from radio shack to use with my little
    kodak. However, I also have a Fuji S5200 that works fine with Linux. I
    just plug it in and the computer sees it as a block of memory.

    Scott.

  17. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    cavisco wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >> EOS wrote:

    >>> install digikam ;-)

    >> I did it. It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera
    >> either. It
    >> can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much difference?
    >> I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.
    >>

    > I just bought a cheap card reader from radio shack to use with my little
    > kodak. However, I also have a Fuji S5200 that works fine with Linux. I
    > just plug it in and the computer sees it as a block of memory.
    >
    > Scott.

    Mine always used to work fine with Linux. I just plugged it in and then
    the icon would pop up on my desktop and I'd copy and paste from there. Now
    it doesn't, or at least I've found a way, but it's non-standard.
    If I plug in the camera Linux, (KDE) doesn't see it and can't find it. Now
    then I try running Digicam. Digicam can't find it. I tell Digicam that
    it's a Fujifilm S9500, (I select it from their list and it tells me the
    camera is not connected. So I shut down Digicam and turn off the camera.
    Now after having done that, I turn on the camera again and the system sees
    it in just a few seconds and opens a box asking me if I want to open it in
    Digicam or a window. I conclude that Digicam must have left a driver
    loaded and things happen in the right sequence after that. It's failed to
    work and then worked twice that way only after Digicam has been run and
    then stopped. I have not tried connecting the camera after I start up
    Digicam, I expect that might work, but I've got my photos loaded now, even
    the RAW data pictures. Still there will be next time.
    Can anyone tell me what needs to be loaded and which rc file, (I guess), it
    should be done in, and why isn't it configured as default anymore?

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  18. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:38:38 -0400, Fred wrote:

    > cavisco wrote:
    >
    >> Fred wrote:

    >>> I did it. It look good, and runs, but it can't find the camera
    >>> either. It
    >>> can accomodate the S9500 but not the S9000, can there be much
    >>> difference? I did an "Autodetect" and it failed.
    >>>

    >> I just bought a cheap card reader from radio shack to use with my little
    >> kodak. However, I also have a Fuji S5200 that works fine with Linux. I
    >> just plug it in and the computer sees it as a block of memory.
    >>
    >> Scott.

    > Mine always used to work fine with Linux. I just plugged it in
    > and then
    > the icon would pop up on my desktop and I'd copy and paste from there.
    > Now it doesn't, or at least I've found a way, but it's non-standard.
    > If I plug in the camera Linux, (KDE) doesn't see it and can't find
    > it. Now
    > then I try running Digicam. Digicam can't find it. I tell Digicam that
    > it's a Fujifilm S9500, (I select it from their list and it tells me the
    > camera is not connected. So I shut down Digicam and turn off the camera.
    > Now after having done that, I turn on the camera again and the system sees
    > it in just a few seconds and opens a box asking me if I want to open it in
    > Digicam or a window. I conclude that Digicam must have left a driver
    > loaded and things happen in the right sequence after that. It's failed to
    > work and then worked twice that way only after Digicam has been run and
    > then stopped. I have not tried connecting the camera after I start up
    > Digicam, I expect that might work, but I've got my photos loaded now, even
    > the RAW data pictures. Still there will be next time.
    > Can anyone tell me what needs to be loaded and which rc file, (I
    > guess), it
    > should be done in, and why isn't it configured as default anymore?

    Did you recently do some updates? That may have borked something. The
    camera should hotplug just like an SD card or other removable media.
    You might want to look what's listed in kcontrol under Disks and
    Filesystems and delete the camera storage ID if it's in there.

  19. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:38:38 -0400, Fred wrote:
    >
    >> cavisco wrote:

    >>> I just bought a cheap card reader from radio shack to use with my little
    >>> kodak. However, I also have a Fuji S5200 that works fine with Linux. I
    >>> just plug it in and the computer sees it as a block of memory.
    >>>
    >>> Scott.
    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> Mine always used to work fine with Linux. I just plugged it in
    >> and then
    >> the icon would pop up on my desktop and I'd copy and paste from there.
    >> Now it doesn't, or at least I've found a way, but it's non-standard.
    >> If I plug in the camera Linux, (KDE) doesn't see it and can't
    >> find
    >> it. Now
    >> then I try running Digicam. Digicam can't find it. I tell Digicam that
    >> it's a Fujifilm S9500, (I select it from their list and it tells me the
    >> camera is not connected. So I shut down Digicam and turn off the camera.
    >> Now after having done that, I turn on the camera again and the system
    >> sees it in just a few seconds and opens a box asking me if I want to open
    >> it in
    >> Digicam or a window. I conclude that Digicam must have left a driver
    >> loaded and things happen in the right sequence after that. It's failed
    >> to work and then worked twice that way only after Digicam has been run
    >> and
    >> then stopped. I have not tried connecting the camera after I start up
    >> Digicam, I expect that might work, but I've got my photos loaded now,
    >> even
    >> the RAW data pictures. Still there will be next time.
    >> Can anyone tell me what needs to be loaded and which rc file, (I
    >> guess), it
    >> should be done in, and why isn't it configured as default anymore?

    > Did you recently do some updates? That may have borked something. The
    > camera should hotplug just like an SD card or other removable media.
    > You might want to look what's listed in kcontrol under Disks and
    > Filesystems and delete the camera storage ID if it's in there.

    I always do updates every few days, but I switched from gnome to kde which
    is what started this problem I believe. I don't have anything I can find
    called "kcontrol" I have a "Control Centre" under "Settings" but it has
    nothing about Disks and I didn't see anything about cameras.
    F-spot also encounters a fatal error saying it cannot find the Dbus session
    bus. It tells me to run a new session by entering "dbus-launch f-spot" ...
    OK, that works, and f-spot starts, but when I try to import photos from the
    camera, it tells me "No camera detected."
    That is the only way I can launch F-spot, from a terminal with dbus-launch.
    Even after it's been done once, it still won't launch from the menu.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  20. Re: Can't download photos from camera.

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:46:32 -0400, Fred wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Mine always used to work fine with Linux. I just plugged it in
    >>> and then
    >>> the icon would pop up on my desktop and I'd copy and paste from there.
    >>> Now it doesn't, or at least I've found a way, but it's non-standard.
    >>> If I plug in the camera Linux, (KDE) doesn't see it and can't
    >>> find
    >>> it. Now
    >>> then I try running Digicam. Digicam can't find it. I tell Digicam
    >>> that it's a Fujifilm S9500, (I select it from their list and it tells
    >>> me the camera is not connected. So I shut down Digicam and turn off
    >>> the camera. Now after having done that, I turn on the camera again and
    >>> the system sees it in just a few seconds and opens a box asking me if I
    >>> want to open it in
    >>> Digicam or a window. I conclude that Digicam must have left a driver
    >>> loaded and things happen in the right sequence after that. It's failed
    >>> to work and then worked twice that way only after Digicam has been run
    >>> and
    >>> then stopped. I have not tried connecting the camera after I start up
    >>> Digicam, I expect that might work, but I've got my photos loaded now,
    >>> even
    >>> the RAW data pictures. Still there will be next time.
    >>> Can anyone tell me what needs to be loaded and which rc file,
    >>> (I guess), it
    >>> should be done in, and why isn't it configured as default anymore?

    >> Did you recently do some updates? That may have borked something. The
    >> camera should hotplug just like an SD card or other removable media. You
    >> might want to look what's listed in kcontrol under Disks and Filesystems
    >> and delete the camera storage ID if it's in there.

    > I always do updates every few days, but I switched from gnome to
    > kde which
    > is what started this problem I believe. I don't have anything I can find
    > called "kcontrol" I have a "Control Centre" under "Settings" but it has
    > nothing about Disks and I didn't see anything about cameras.
    > F-spot also encounters a fatal error saying it cannot find the
    > Dbus session
    > bus. It tells me to run a new session by entering "dbus-launch f-spot"
    > ... OK, that works, and f-spot starts, but when I try to import photos
    > from the camera, it tells me "No camera detected."
    > That is the only way I can launch F-spot, from a terminal with
    > dbus-launch.
    > Even after it's been done once, it still won't launch from the menu.

    You can run kcontrol from the Run Application launcher by typing kcontrol
    or open a terminal and type it in there and hit enter. I won't guaranty
    this as a fix but you need to start somewhere. In lieu of not being able
    to correct this have you considered an inexpensive USB card reader? This
    is what I use and it works well.

    Also, make sure you have all the dbus-x11 junk installed. I think there is
    dbus for KDE also. Run sudo adept_manager and type in dbus-x11 and see
    what is installed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast