system won't boot after video & sound card install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on system won't boot after video & sound card install - Ubuntu ; OhioGuy wrote: > I have a dual boot system, where Windows XP is on my large drive, and > Ubuntu is on my smaller hard drive. Recently, I installed an ATI Radeon > 9600 AGP video card and a SoundBlaster ...

  1. Re: system won't boot after video & sound card install

    OhioGuy wrote:
    > I have a dual boot system, where Windows XP is on my large drive, and
    > Ubuntu is on my smaller hard drive. Recently, I installed an ATI Radeon
    > 9600 AGP video card and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card on the system.
    > Previously, I had used the motherboard's onboard AC97 sound chip and via
    > video chip.

    > The system still boots fine into Windows XP, but every time I try to boot
    > into Ubuntu, I get tiny, wavy lines at a slanted angle. It seems to boot,
    > but then because I can't SEE anything, I can't do anything.

    > I have a number of files I'd like to get off of there before deciding
    > whether to install a version of Ubuntu that supports TV tuner card natively,
    > or perhaps removing the second hard drive altogether.

    > Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get past the video issue on
    > bootup?

    After booting, can you get into a console using ctrl+alt+f1?

    Does the live cd boot? If it does, look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log what
    graphics driver it loads.

    AFAIK, there are ways to read ext3 from Windows.

    --
    Niklaus

  2. system won't boot after video & sound card install

    I have a dual boot system, where Windows XP is on my large drive, and
    Ubuntu is on my smaller hard drive. Recently, I installed an ATI Radeon
    9600 AGP video card and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card on the system.
    Previously, I had used the motherboard's onboard AC97 sound chip and via
    video chip.

    The system still boots fine into Windows XP, but every time I try to boot
    into Ubuntu, I get tiny, wavy lines at a slanted angle. It seems to boot,
    but then because I can't SEE anything, I can't do anything.

    I have a number of files I'd like to get off of there before deciding
    whether to install a version of Ubuntu that supports TV tuner card natively,
    or perhaps removing the second hard drive altogether.

    Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get past the video issue on
    bootup?

    Thanks!

  3. Re: system won't boot after video & sound card install

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:34:46 -0500, OhioGuy wrote:

    > Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get past the video issue on
    > bootup?
    >
    > Thanks!

    if you can get into a terminal:

    $(sudo) apt-get install envyng

    $envyng -t (runs envyng in text mode)

    this will then get, compile and install the radeon drivers and
    reconfigure your xorg.

    http://www.fs-driver.org/ for getting to the files from windoze.

  4. Re: system won't boot after video & sound card install

    OhioGuy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have a dual boot system, where Windows XP is on my large drive, and
    > Ubuntu is on my smaller hard drive. Recently, I installed an ATI Radeon
    > 9600 AGP video card and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card on the system.
    > Previously, I had used the motherboard's onboard AC97 sound chip and via
    > video chip.
    >
    > The system still boots fine into Windows XP, but every time I try to boot
    > into Ubuntu, I get tiny, wavy lines at a slanted angle. It seems to boot,
    > but then because I can't SEE anything, I can't do anything.
    >
    > I have a number of files I'd like to get off of there before deciding
    > whether to install a version of Ubuntu that supports TV tuner card natively,
    > or perhaps removing the second hard drive altogether.
    >
    > Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get past the video issue on
    > bootup?

    Change the driver in xorg.conf from via (or whatever it's called) to
    vesa and configure your ATI card using the hardware drivers manager
    from the gui.

    Log into recovery mode

    $ nano etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Scroll down to the "video device" section

    The section should read
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "vesa"

    $ reboot

    Then log in to Ubuntu in the normal way.

    From
    System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    Simply enable the ATI driver

    Reboot.

    You can then set up your ATI driver to run the way you like it and
    enable compiz etc.

    Enjoy.

    --
    "So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give
    me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go

  5. Re: system won't boot after video & sound card install

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > OhioGuy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have a dual boot system, where Windows XP is on my large drive, and
    >> Ubuntu is on my smaller hard drive. Recently, I installed an ATI Radeon
    >> 9600 AGP video card and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card on the system.
    >> Previously, I had used the motherboard's onboard AC97 sound chip and via
    >> video chip.
    >>
    >> The system still boots fine into Windows XP, but every time I try to boot
    >> into Ubuntu, I get tiny, wavy lines at a slanted angle. It seems to boot,
    >> but then because I can't SEE anything, I can't do anything.
    >>
    >> I have a number of files I'd like to get off of there before deciding
    >> whether to install a version of Ubuntu that supports TV tuner card natively,
    >> or perhaps removing the second hard drive altogether.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get past the video issue on
    >> bootup?

    > Change the driver in xorg.conf from via (or whatever it's called) to
    > vesa and configure your ATI card using the hardware drivers manager
    > from the gui.
    >
    > Log into recovery mode
    >
    > $ nano etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >
    > Scroll down to the "video device" section
    >
    > The section should read
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    > Driver "vesa"

    Ouch...
    MISSING BIT - Important.

    Save the file.

    --
    "So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said
    'Who's speaking please?' And a voice said 'You are.'" ~ Tim Vine

+ Reply to Thread