How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub? - Ubuntu ; * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > On 2008-07-10, Yousuf Khan wrote: >> Laszlo Lebrun wrote: >>> Apparently Ubuntu updates write their own stuff into grub. >>> >>> How can that be prevented? >> >> I've got Windows XP set as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub?

    * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2008-07-10, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >> Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    >>> Apparently Ubuntu updates write their own stuff into grub.
    >>>
    >>> How can that be prevented?

    >> I've got Windows XP set as my default os, and so far I have not noticed
    >> the major updates changing the default menu selection yet.

    > It won't, as long as Windows is not in the #0 stanza. The updater
    > places the new kernel in the 0 spot, and if the default is other than
    > 0, it increases it by 2. This way, your default doesn't change.

    It does no such thing, at least not on my box and I am running 8.04. When
    new Kernels are added, old ones are not removed and so Windows moves down
    the list. The default # never changes.

    --
    David

  2. Re: How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub?

    On 2008-07-11, SINNER wrote:
    > * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I've got Windows XP set as my default os, and so far I have not noticed
    >>> the major updates changing the default menu selection yet.

    >> It won't, as long as Windows is not in the #0 stanza. The updater
    >> places the new kernel in the 0 spot, and if the default is other than
    >> 0, it increases it by 2. This way, your default doesn't change.

    > It does no such thing, at least not on my box and I am running 8.04. When
    > new Kernels are added, old ones are not removed and so Windows moves down
    > the list. The default # never changes.

    That's what the autoupdate is for in the other part of this thread.
    Works great here! ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub?

    * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On 2008-07-11, SINNER wrote:
    >> * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> It won't, as long as Windows is not in the #0 stanza. The updater
    >>> places the new kernel in the 0 spot, and if the default is other than
    >>> 0, it increases it by 2. This way, your default doesn't change.

    >> It does no such thing, at least not on my box and I am running 8.04. When
    >> new Kernels are added, old ones are not removed and so Windows moves down
    >> the list. The default # never changes.

    > That's what the autoupdate is for in the other part of this thread.
    > Works great here! ;-)

    Yeah didnt read the WHOLE thread before responding...

    --
    David
    "I've seen the forgeries I've sent out."

  4. Re: How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub?

    Laszlo Lebrun wrote:

    > Apparently Ubuntu updates write their own stuff into grub.
    >
    > How can that be prevented?

    Edit /etc/kernel-img.conf

    Florian

  5. Re: How to prevent Ubuntu update to hose my Grub?

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Joe wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> I've got Windows XP set as my default os, and so far I have not noticed
    >>> the major updates changing the default menu selection yet.

    >> It won't, as long as Windows is not in the #0 stanza. The updater
    >> places the new kernel in the 0 spot, and if the default is other than
    >> 0, it increases it by 2. This way, your default doesn't change.

    > It does no such thing, at least not on my box and I am running 8.04. When
    > new Kernels are added, old ones are not removed and so Windows moves down
    > the list. The default # never changes.

    ## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
    ## can be true or false
    # updatedefaultentry=false

    Florian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2