Linux Mint? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux Mint? - Ubuntu ; Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it....

  1. Linux Mint?

    Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the
    Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it.

  2. Re: Linux Mint?

    HP Garcia wrote:
    > Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the
    > Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it.

    Yes I have Mint5 on a partition.

    There are a lot of positive things to say about it and some reviews you
    can read. You might find this one^1 appealing, as the writer has
    experienced Linspire, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, & Ubuntu.

    ^1 http://odysseus.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/linux-mint-5/ Linux Mint 5
    June 28, 2008

    He liked the mint 'specialty' features, mintmenu, mintinstall, mintupdate,
    more than the presence of the default codecs which he didn't mention.

    OTOH, this reviewer^2 was appreciative of the default proprietary codecs

    ^2 http://www.junauza.com/2008/06/date-with-elyssa.html A Date with
    lyssa - Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - Plus, important proprietary plugins like
    flash and multimedia codecs for playing DVD and MP3 are already loaded in
    Mint.

    Like the other reviewer, he liked the mintinstall feature, and both of
    them consider mint5 to be their current favorite distro.

    If you like Ub best except for the codecs, that is a problem easily
    solved.

    Some people like to read about the philosophy of the issue first so here's
    one way to do that - and then it also tells you how to 'overcome' the
    problem.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats patent and copyright
    restrictions complicate free operating systems distributing software to
    support proprietary formats. [..] Follow these steps to play most common
    multimedia formats, including MP3, DVD, Flash, Quicktime, WMA and WMV,
    including both standalone files and content embedded in web pages.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Linux Mint?

    HP Garcia wrote:
    > Has anyone tried Linux Mint?

    Yes.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Linux Mint?

    On 2008-07-10, HP Garcia wrote:
    > Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the
    > Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it.

    Sure does. I am using it on 2 Machines at this time. Both are
    running flawlessly, and needed very little in the way of additional
    setup after the base install.

    It still uses the Ubuntu repositories for it's software sources. In
    most ways, it is simply Ubuntu, but with some minor differences...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: Linux Mint?

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:28:18 -0700, HP Garcia wrote:

    > Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the
    > Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it.

    Yes, been my main OS since version 2.1. I can't fault it. It would solve
    Laszlo's problem, too, because mintUpdate doesn't 'do' kernel upgrades
    (by default: you can tell it too if you must) so no grub re-writes.

  6. Re: Linux Mint?

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:28:18 -0700, HP Garcia wrote:

    > > Has anyone tried Linux Mint? It's derivative of Ubuntu? I heard from the
    > > Linux Newbie podcast it has all the codec's built-in to it.

    > Yes, been my main OS since version 2.1. I can't fault it. It would solve
    > Laszlo's problem, too, because mintUpdate doesn't 'do' kernel upgrades
    > (by default: you can tell it too if you must) so no grub re-writes.

    No big problem to switch off kernel upgrades in Ubuntu:
    On my system it would be something like e.g.
    sudo aptitude hold linux-image-generic linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic

    (There should be a faster way to do this than with aptitude. dpkg
    maybe?)

    --
    Niklaus

  7. Re: Linux Mint?

    HP Garcia wrote:
    > Has anyone tried Linux Mint?

    This is a thread hijack, but it is about Mint/Ubuntu/Debian.

    I was reading something in/about Mint4 (which has a lot more flavors than
    Mint5 does so far) that I didn't understand; and the Mint wiki and Mint
    forum didn't provide any answers that I could find.

    Regarding the Mint4/debian flavor....

    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_debian.php Debian is a rolling
    distribution. Compared to Ubuntu, Debian would allow Linux Mint to be
    faster and to feel snappier and it would ease the process of migrating
    from one release to another since the Debian base would constantly get
    updated underneath the Linux Mint desktop. [..] This experimentation shows
    us that: ... A Debian Testing base would make Linux Mint faster. ...

    My question is...

    .... how does it work that the debian-based mint would be faster or
    snappier than the standard ub-based mint?

    I suppose I could take this to the Mint webforums, but I'm not a webforum
    kinda guy :-)

    .... except when I have to be.

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Linux Mint?

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > HP Garcia wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried Linux Mint?

    > This is a thread hijack, but it is about Mint/Ubuntu/Debian.
    >
    > I was reading something in/about Mint4 (which has a lot more flavors than
    > Mint5 does so far) that I didn't understand; and the Mint wiki and Mint
    > forum didn't provide any answers that I could find.
    >
    > Regarding the Mint4/debian flavor....
    >
    > http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_debian.php Debian is a rolling
    > distribution. Compared to Ubuntu, Debian would allow Linux Mint to be
    > faster and to feel snappier and it would ease the process of migrating
    > from one release to another since the Debian base would constantly get
    > updated underneath the Linux Mint desktop. [..] This experimentation shows
    > us that: ... A Debian Testing base would make Linux Mint faster. ...
    >
    > My question is...
    >
    > ... how does it work that the debian-based mint would be faster or
    > snappier than the standard ub-based mint?
    >
    > I suppose I could take this to the Mint webforums, but I'm not a webforum
    > kinda guy :-)
    >
    > ... except when I have to be.

    The only reason I can think of is that the Mint team believe the deb
    packages in the debian repository are cleaner. I've never personally
    seen a speed boost using debian over Ubuntu though, although they
    must have their reasons for thinking it.

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return

  9. Re: Linux Mint?

    Moog wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Regarding the Mint4/debian flavor....
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_debian.php Debian is a rolling
    >> distribution. Compared to Ubuntu, Debian would allow Linux Mint to be
    >> faster and to feel snappier and it would ease the process of migrating
    >> from one release to another since the Debian base would constantly get
    >> updated underneath the Linux Mint desktop. [..] This experimentation
    >> shows us that: ... A Debian Testing base would make Linux Mint faster.
    >>
    >> My question is...
    >>
    >> ... how does it work that the debian-based mint would be faster or
    >> snappier than the standard ub-based mint?
    >>
    >> I suppose I could take this to the Mint webforums, but I'm not a
    >> webforum kinda guy :-)
    >>
    >> ... except when I have to be.

    > The only reason I can think of is that the Mint team believe the deb
    > packages in the debian repository are cleaner. I've never personally
    > seen a speed boost using debian over Ubuntu though, although they
    > must have their reasons for thinking it.

    In the example of Mint4, that alpha mint/debian release doesn't seem to
    have evolved into further release (yet), but in the case of Mepis, the
    mepis developer Warren Woodford (completely) changed (back) from a ubuntu
    based distro to a debian based distro.

    I don't think that the basis of that mepis evolution was the same as what
    the mint developer was/is 'exploring', and as Woodford sez, the
    relationship between Ub and Debian is a unique one, which affects those
    who would base their distro on either ub or deb.

    That is, Mepis6 used the Ub packages & repos, whereas Mepis7 is mepis
    binaries from ub/deb and deb core and deb and mepis repos.

    Woodford didn't say anything about faster or snappier or efficient or any
    of that when he was explaining why he went back to deb.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Linux Mint?

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mike Easter

    >>> Regarding the Mint4/debian flavor....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_debian.php Debian is a rolling
    >>> distribution. Compared to Ubuntu, Debian would allow Linux Mint to be
    >>> faster and to feel snappier and it would ease the process of migrating
    >>> from one release to another since the Debian base would constantly get
    >>> updated underneath the Linux Mint desktop. [..] This experimentation
    >>> shows us that: ... A Debian Testing base would make Linux Mint faster.
    >>>
    >>> My question is...
    >>>
    >>> ... how does it work that the debian-based mint would be faster or
    >>> snappier than the standard ub-based mint?
    >>>
    >>> I suppose I could take this to the Mint webforums, but I'm not a
    >>> webforum kinda guy :-)
    >>>
    >>> ... except when I have to be.

    >> The only reason I can think of is that the Mint team believe the deb
    >> packages in the debian repository are cleaner. I've never personally
    >> seen a speed boost using debian over Ubuntu though, although they
    >> must have their reasons for thinking it.

    > In the example of Mint4, that alpha mint/debian release doesn't seem to
    > have evolved into further release (yet), but in the case of Mepis, the
    > mepis developer Warren Woodford (completely) changed (back) from a ubuntu
    > based distro to a debian based distro.

    Which would suggest that the Ubuntu repositories are a little more
    "repackage friendly". Which, in my experience, is pretty much the
    case.

    > I don't think that the basis of that mepis evolution was the same as what
    > the mint developer was/is 'exploring', and as Woodford sez, the
    > relationship between Ub and Debian is a unique one, which affects those
    > who would base their distro on either ub or deb.

    They're basically mirrored, with the Ubuntu dev team doing slight
    tweaks for both performance and usability.

    > That is, Mepis6 used the Ub packages & repos, whereas Mepis7 is mepis
    > binaries from ub/deb and deb core and deb and mepis repos.

    I've never really been over impressed with Mepis. I think the "simply"
    tag before it strikes a chord. I don't want "simply", I want good.

    > Woodford didn't say anything about faster or snappier or efficient or any
    > of that when he was explaining why he went back to deb.

    He probably went back because Ubuntu have played a fair bit with the
    restricted modules and codecs. It's shifted around in their
    repositories frequently, before deciding to split them into medibuntu.

    --
    "At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and
    charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the

+ Reply to Thread