Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux - Ubuntu ; Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner! Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of..... "Son, I'm having some computer troubles" "What have ...

  1. Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!

    Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....

    "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    "What have you done now?"
    "Nothing that I am aware of"
    "It won't boot up"
    "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"

    or words to that effect from what I can remember.

    Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some
    unix style commands to bring it back to life.

    What should I tell him to try...
    Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?

    All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    :)

    Pete

  2. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:41:58 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    > Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    > Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >
    > Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >
    > "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    > "What have you done now?"
    > "Nothing that I am aware of"
    > "It won't boot up"
    > "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    > "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something) enter
    > root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >
    > or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >
    > Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some unix
    > style commands to bring it back to life.
    >
    > What should I tell him to try...
    > Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having a
    > floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?
    >
    > All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    > :¬)
    >
    > Pete

    Sounds like it's booting in the recovery mode.

  3. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    On 2008-07-09, Meat Plow hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:41:58 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    >> Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >>
    >> Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >>
    >> "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    >> "What have you done now?"
    >> "Nothing that I am aware of"
    >> "It won't boot up"
    >> "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    >> "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something) enter
    >> root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >>
    >> or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >>
    >> Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some unix
    >> style commands to bring it back to life.
    >>
    >> What should I tell him to try...
    >> Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having a
    >> floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?

    a floppy in the drive wouldn't matter, unless the boot order in the
    bios is "floppy" but then the PC wouldn't even start to the
    grub-menu. A non-boot floppy in the drive wouldn't get auto-mounted
    either.

    >> All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    >> :¬)
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Sounds like it's booting in the recovery mode.

    I've seen this here too. But maybe its related to a entry in my
    /etc/fstab where I added a couple of UUID entries for my USB
    devices. I just wonder if the OP tells his Dad to hit "CTRL -D as
    requested, and if the System finishes booting.

    e2fsck on boot could also do this, if the HDD can't be cleaned with
    the normal -p (preen) option and it has to run "manually" which means
    here: e2fsck /dev/sdXY and then sticking a thin nail into one of the
    "return" keys and go for drink of coffee or something after a while.... .

    Unfortunately the exact error is not being told, so this leading now
    to just guessing....

    Dragomir Kollaric

  4. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    > Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >
    > Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >
    > "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    > "What have you done now?"
    > "Nothing that I am aware of"
    > "It won't boot up"
    > "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    > "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    > enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >
    > or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >
    > Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some
    > unix style commands to bring it back to life.
    >
    > What should I tell him to try...
    > Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    > a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?
    >
    > All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    >:¬)
    >
    > Pete

    Yes. He's booted into the recovery mode option from the Grub Menu.

    Remove the option (or reduce the grub menu display time) and "voila",
    he can no longer press the down arrow during boot up to get there.

    --
    "I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was
    gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a

  5. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    > "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    > enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"

    (...)

    > What should I tell him to try...
    > Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    > a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?

    I have "errors=remount-ro" in my /etc/fstab for the root file system.
    So maybe at yours it did remount read-only after an error.

    Check /var/log/messages and dmesg for errors:
    tail /var/log/messages
    tail /var/log/dmesg

    If root doesn't have a password - the default in Ubuntu - you need to
    boot a live cd, mount the / file system on the harddrive (if not
    already mounted) - on a Hardy single-boot system it's probably called
    /dev/sda1 - and look for the log files in /var/log on the harddisk
    (maybe in /media/sda1/var/log/).

    Btw, it won't do any harm to remove all (other) floppies, cds and
    such.

    To our children and pensioners we only give blackbox not gnome. They
    didn't manage to break it for two years now.

    --
    Niklaus

  6. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    > Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    > Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!

    Ageist crap.

    My 40-odd year old son had never heard of Ubuntu until I told him about him,
    and I've recently had to hold his hand because he couldn't get his Skype
    set up properly. And he's a computer pro.

    BTW I'm only 65, but I am now a gentlemen of leisure, having spent quite a
    few years in the computer industry.

    Mpral: Don't try to teach your Granny (or Grandpa) to suck eggs. There are
    quite a few of us out here who know a good bit more than you do.

  7. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    >> Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!

    > Ageist crap.
    >
    > My 40-odd year old son had never heard of Ubuntu until I told him about
    > it, and I've recently had to hold his hand because he couldn't get his
    > Skype set up properly. And he's a computer pro.
    >
    > BTW I'm only 65, but I am now a gentlemen of leisure, having spent quite a
    > few years in the computer industry.
    >
    > Moral: Don't try to teach your Granny (or Grandpa) to suck eggs. There are
    > quite a few of us out here who know a good bit more than you do.

    Typos corrected above.

  8. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers"
    > welcome. :)

    That too. I'm 77, and when I get old I won't have any great
    objection to being cut off. That will probably be at about 60
    (hex).

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    On 2008-07-09, Moog wrote:
    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    >> Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >>
    >> Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >>
    >> "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    >> "What have you done now?"
    >> "Nothing that I am aware of"
    >> "It won't boot up"
    >> "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    >> "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    >> enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >>
    >> or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >>
    >> Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some
    >> unix style commands to bring it back to life.
    >>
    >> What should I tell him to try...
    >> Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    >> a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?
    >>
    >> All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    >>:¬)
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Yes. He's booted into the recovery mode option from the Grub Menu.
    >
    > Remove the option (or reduce the grub menu display time) and "voila",
    > he can no longer press the down arrow during boot up to get there.

    And, a little preventative advice (which you probably have already told him) -
    make sure he knows that he should shut it down properly so that he
    doesn't cause filesystem corruption.

    --

  10. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
    message news:g534a7$lmq$1@registered.motzarella.org...
    > Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    > Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >
    > Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >
    > "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    > "What have you done now?"
    > "Nothing that I am aware of"
    > "It won't boot up"
    > "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    > "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    > enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >
    > or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >
    > Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some
    > unix style commands to bring it back to life.
    >
    > What should I tell him to try...
    > Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    > a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?
    >
    > All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    > :)
    >
    > Pete

    Mmmh. A thoughtful, loving son would have left him with a live CD to start
    from when something like this happens :>) - Better yet an install on a pen
    drive?

    Cheers

  11. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    I always recommend that people set up root password for this purpose.

    On 2008-07-09, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Hmmmm.... I thought he couldn't mess up Ubuntu as easily as he could
    > Windows, never underestimate the power of a pensioner!
    >
    > Plea on the phone this morning goes along the lines of.....
    >
    > "Son, I'm having some computer troubles"
    > "What have you done now?"
    > "Nothing that I am aware of"
    > "It won't boot up"
    > "Oooooo Kay, so what happens?"
    > "It says Says system root mounted as read only (something something)
    > enter root password or ctrlD(?) to exit)"
    >
    > or words to that effect from what I can remember.
    >
    > Presumably it is booting into the command line thingy and needs some
    > unix style commands to bring it back to life.
    >
    > What should I tell him to try...
    > Actually... I don't suppose it could be something schtooopid like having
    > a floppy or non-boot cd in onthe drives?
    >
    > All thoughts (apart from "don't let old peole use computers" welcome.
    >:)
    >
    > Pete

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    Ignoramus16038 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I always recommend that people set up root password for this purpose.

    Ahhh....
    The sledgehammer to crack an egg approach.

    Marvellous.

    --
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
    boxing." ~ Emo Philips

  13. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    Update....
    Telephone support Last night....
    the actual wording was along the lines of corrupt files auto fsck could
    not be run switching to manual (or words to that effect)

    So... I got him to do a manual fsck at under "bash" (I want to call it
    DOS prompt :) )

    All scaned and recovered and stuff.
    re-booted into recovery and selected "fix damaged packages"
    all done, then re-booted normally but display was way too big to be
    usable. This happened to my pc a while ago but I don't remember how I
    fixed it, must be a common problem though.

    Could somone point me in the right direction?

    Cheers
    Pete

  14. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    On 2008-07-13, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > Update....
    > Telephone support Last night....
    > the actual wording was along the lines of corrupt files auto fsck could
    > not be run switching to manual (or words to that effect)
    >
    > So... I got him to do a manual fsck at under "bash" (I want to call it
    > DOS prompt :¬) )
    >
    > All scaned and recovered and stuff.
    > re-booted into recovery and selected "fix damaged packages"
    > all done, then re-booted normally but display was way too big to be
    > usable. This happened to my pc a while ago but I don't remember how I
    > fixed it, must be a common problem though.
    >
    > Could somone point me in the right direction?

    Tip: if you post again with a subject line something like:

    How to change/fix screen resolution

    in your subject line, you're much more likely to get a good answer
    (assuming that way too big means that the resolution was way too low).

    --

  15. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > Tip: if you post again with a subject line something like:

    > How to change/fix screen resolution

    > in your subject line

    and put your Ubuntu version and the make and model of your graphics
    chip into the body of your message

    > , you're much more likely to get a good answer
    > (assuming that way too big means that the resolution was way too low).

    --
    Niklaus

  16. Re: Ubuntu for Dad.... part deux

    On 2008-07-13, www.GymRatZ.co.uk hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > Update....
    > Telephone support Last night....
    > the actual wording was along the lines of corrupt files auto fsck could
    > not be run switching to manual (or words to that effect)
    >
    > So... I got him to do a manual fsck at under "bash" (I want to call it
    > DOS prompt :¬) )
    >
    > All scaned and recovered and stuff.
    > re-booted into recovery and selected "fix damaged packages"
    > all done, then re-booted normally but display was way too big to be
    > usable. This happened to my pc a while ago but I don't remember how I
    > fixed it, must be a common problem though.

    If the Live-CD run OK, you could save the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    it created. Also one could rename "xorg.conf" so that
    *Ubuntu will not find one and generate a new one. I
    did this once here on this PC and it worked fine, as
    "dpkg-reconfigure xserver.xorg" (or so) didn't do the trick
    anymore. I also back up my working xorg.conf (got a nvidia
    card) with the nvidia driver and another one with the "nv".

    > Could somone point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Pete

    Dragomir Kollaric