changing wireless drivers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on changing wireless drivers - Ubuntu ; I run Ubuntu on my Acer laptop, with a wireless NIC based on the Atheros chipset. I have been using the "madwifi" driver, but it does strange things on occasion. In another post, someone suggested that I use the Windows ...

  1. changing wireless drivers

    I run Ubuntu on my Acer laptop, with a wireless NIC based on the Atheros
    chipset. I have been using the "madwifi" driver, but it does strange
    things on occasion. In another post, someone suggested that I use the
    Windows driver/ndiswrapper instead. OK.

    So, I went to System|Admin|Restricted Drivers Manager and un-checked
    "Enabled" on the line "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)". I installed
    ndisgtk, and fed it the *inf file on the XP partition.

    Now, the Restricted Drivers Manager shows HAL with "Enabled" unchecked,
    but still "In Use". Ndisgtk says "Hardware present: No". "Lsmod" is
    showing "ath_pci" and "ath_hal" still loaded after re-boot.

    I'm not sure how to complete the change-over. In the "/etc/modprobe.d"
    directory is an entry "ndiswrapper" that reads "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper".
    What is the missing step(s)?

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  2. Re: changing wireless drivers

    On 2008-07-09, MarkA wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu on my Acer laptop, with a wireless NIC based on the Atheros
    > chipset. I have been using the "madwifi" driver, but it does strange
    > things on occasion. In another post, someone suggested that I use the
    > Windows driver/ndiswrapper instead. OK.
    >
    > So, I went to System|Admin|Restricted Drivers Manager and un-checked
    > "Enabled" on the line "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)". I installed
    > ndisgtk, and fed it the *inf file on the XP partition.
    >
    > Now, the Restricted Drivers Manager shows HAL with "Enabled" unchecked,
    > but still "In Use". Ndisgtk says "Hardware present: No". "Lsmod" is
    > showing "ath_pci" and "ath_hal" still loaded after re-boot.
    >
    > I'm not sure how to complete the change-over. In the "/etc/modprobe.d"
    > directory is an entry "ndiswrapper" that reads "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper".
    > What is the missing step(s)?

    I've not needed to do it, but you can blacklist those modules... Add
    them to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist then reboot...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread