Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; Linux has been around for 15+ years. Linux is free. Linux applications are free. So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the desktop market? Something that is free is used by so little ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156

Thread: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

  1. Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    Linux is free.
    Linux applications are free.

    So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    desktop market?

    Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?

    Something is seriously wrong with Linux....

    Here is yet ANOTHER article, offering the same, or similar numbers that
    other sites have been reporting, including the BBC....

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179#comments

    *******From the Article***************************



    While I was trawling through Net Applications operating system share trend
    data for the past 24 months, something struck me. June 08 market a big
    month for Linux because the OS saw the largest increase in market share for
    the whole 2 year period - a growth of 0.12%.

    What we˙re seeing from the Net Applications data is that over the 24 month
    period Linux has seem a growth of its market share of 0.36%, but if you
    look at the past 12 months you see a growth of 0.37% which tells us that
    Linux growth for the first year of the 2-year period we˙re looking at here
    had flat-lined.

    0.12% growth in a month is a is a lot for Linux, but when compared to the
    Vista, XP and Mac OS X it˙s nothing, not even a drop in the ocean. But
    Linux is still out there, still being updated and still chasing that
    magical 1% mark. When is Linux likely to hit that mark? Well, it could be
    in the next few months or it could be a year or so away, depending on how
    you draw the trendlines.

    Given all the Linux hype that we˙ve seen over the past few months (Dell
    selling Linux-powered systems, several Ubuntu releases, Eee PCs selling by
    the shipload) I˙m more than a little surprised to find Linux still more
    than an arm˙s reach away from 1%.

    When I look over at Linux from my position on the OS sidelines, I have to
    acknowledge that the development communities behind the Linux kernel, the
    desktops, applications, and the individual distros have done some good work
    over the past couple of years. But on the other hand, almost all of the
    issues that I raised back in November of 2006 (ˇThe world just isn˙t ready
    for Linuxˇ and ´Why Linux will never go mainstream on the desktop´) still
    plague Linux when it comes to its adoption by mainstream consumers (Yes,
    yes, I know, there are going to be a lot of Linux die-hards who will be up
    in my grill for saying that, but I will point at the current market share -
    0.8% - as evidence which suggests that I am right.). Linux is a great niche
    OS, but that doesn˙t lead to a commanding market share. Looking at Ubuntu˙s
    roadmap for 8.10 I think that it˙s becoming apparent (to Canonical at
    least) given how heavily the release will focus on a niche market - the
    subnotebooks.

    Coincidentally, my Linux usage pretty much falls into the niche category.
    I˙m happy to put Linux to work in duties such as NAS, file server and maybe
    loading it onto an old notebook, but the idea of replacing Windows on the
    desktop with a Linux distro - well I won˙t say that will never happen, but
    right now the day I do that is a looooooooong way off. And even for duties
    such as acting as an OS for a NAS box, I know that it would have been far
    less hassle to have either used Windows as the OS or bought a ready-made
    NAS system - for me Linux falls into that ´science experimentˇ category and
    I˙ve learned to identify anyone who tells me that Linux is ´easyˇ as either
    deluded, has bought into the superstition, or is a liar. And don˙t try to
    fool me with that old ´well, every new OS comes with a learning curveˇ
    nonsense - the Mac OS is proof that an OS can be powerful yet easy to use.
    Seriously folks, no one should have to waste time Googling just to figure
    out how to install an application.

    ********************End of article**************************

    Notice on the blog that the Linux zealots are out in force defending their
    mother Linux.

    Good for them.

    Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    is a stinker.....

    Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.
    >
    > So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    > desktop market?
    >
    > Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    > People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    > to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong with Linux....
    >
    > Here is yet ANOTHER article, offering the same, or similar numbers that
    > other sites have been reporting, including the BBC....
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179#comments
    >
    > *******From the Article***************************
    >
    >
    >
    > While I was trawling through Net Applications operating system share trend
    > data for the past 24 months, something struck me. June 08 market a big
    > month for Linux because the OS saw the largest increase in market share for
    > the whole 2 year period - a growth of 0.12%.
    >
    > What we˙re seeing from the Net Applications data is that over the 24 month
    > period Linux has seem a growth of its market share of 0.36%, but if you
    > look at the past 12 months you see a growth of 0.37% which tells us that
    > Linux growth for the first year of the 2-year period we˙re looking at here
    > had flat-lined.
    >
    > 0.12% growth in a month is a is a lot for Linux, but when compared to the
    > Vista, XP and Mac OS X it˙s nothing, not even a drop in the ocean. But
    > Linux is still out there, still being updated and still chasing that
    > magical 1% mark. When is Linux likely to hit that mark? Well, it could be
    > in the next few months or it could be a year or so away, depending on how
    > you draw the trendlines.
    >
    > Given all the Linux hype that we˙ve seen over the past few months (Dell
    > selling Linux-powered systems, several Ubuntu releases, Eee PCs selling by
    > the shipload) I˙m more than a little surprised to find Linux still more
    > than an arm˙s reach away from 1%.
    >
    > When I look over at Linux from my position on the OS sidelines, I have to
    > acknowledge that the development communities behind the Linux kernel, the
    > desktops, applications, and the individual distros have done some good work
    > over the past couple of years. But on the other hand, almost all of the
    > issues that I raised back in November of 2006 (ˇThe world just isn˙t ready
    > for Linuxˇ and ´Why Linux will never go mainstream on the desktop´) still
    > plague Linux when it comes to its adoption by mainstream consumers (Yes,
    > yes, I know, there are going to be a lot of Linux die-hards who will be up
    > in my grill for saying that, but I will point at the current market share -
    > 0.8% - as evidence which suggests that I am right.). Linux is a great niche
    > OS, but that doesn˙t lead to a commanding market share. Looking at Ubuntu˙s
    > roadmap for 8.10 I think that it˙s becoming apparent (to Canonical at
    > least) given how heavily the release will focus on a niche market - the
    > subnotebooks.
    >
    > Coincidentally, my Linux usage pretty much falls into the niche category.
    > I˙m happy to put Linux to work in duties such as NAS, file server and maybe
    > loading it onto an old notebook, but the idea of replacing Windows on the
    > desktop with a Linux distro - well I won˙t say that will never happen, but
    > right now the day I do that is a looooooooong way off. And even for duties
    > such as acting as an OS for a NAS box, I know that it would have been far
    > less hassle to have either used Windows as the OS or bought a ready-made
    > NAS system - for me Linux falls into that ´science experimentˇ category and
    > I˙ve learned to identify anyone who tells me that Linux is ´easyˇ as either
    > deluded, has bought into the superstition, or is a liar. And don˙t try to
    > fool me with that old ´well, every new OS comes with a learning curveˇ
    > nonsense - the Mac OS is proof that an OS can be powerful yet easy to use.
    > Seriously folks, no one should have to waste time Googling just to figure
    > out how to install an application.
    >
    > ********************End of article**************************
    >
    > Notice on the blog that the Linux zealots are out in force defending their
    > mother Linux.
    >
    > Good for them.
    >
    > Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    > is a stinker.....
    >
    > Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >
    >


    something is seriously wrong with your brain.
    Linux is very good now.. after vista linux use is climbing steadily and
    so is MacOSX


  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    1xbbmlptdln3i.eyh1adub83rk.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 3:33 PM:

    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.
    >
    > So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    > desktop market?
    >
    > Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    > People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    > to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong with Linux....


    The lack of coherence and polish in the UI matter. OSS tends to have the
    tech in the background done well, hence the reason it works so well on
    servers, but the front end - while getting better - still has a ways to go.


    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted
    over Darwin's?


  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:35:23 +0300, F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>
    >> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >> People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    >> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>
    >> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....
    >>
    >> Here is yet ANOTHER article, offering the same, or similar numbers that
    >> other sites have been reporting, including the BBC....
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179#comments
    >>
    >> *******From the Article***************************
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> While I was trawling through Net Applications operating system share trend
    >> data for the past 24 months, something struck me. June 08 market a big
    >> month for Linux because the OS saw the largest increase in market share for
    >> the whole 2 year period - a growth of 0.12%.
    >>
    >> What we˙re seeing from the Net Applications data is that over the 24 month
    >> period Linux has seem a growth of its market share of 0.36%, but if you
    >> look at the past 12 months you see a growth of 0.37% which tells us that
    >> Linux growth for the first year of the 2-year period we˙re looking at here
    >> had flat-lined.
    >>
    >> 0.12% growth in a month is a is a lot for Linux, but when compared to the
    >> Vista, XP and Mac OS X it˙s nothing, not even a drop in the ocean. But
    >> Linux is still out there, still being updated and still chasing that
    >> magical 1% mark. When is Linux likely to hit that mark? Well, it could be
    >> in the next few months or it could be a year or so away, depending on how
    >> you draw the trendlines.
    >>
    >> Given all the Linux hype that we˙ve seen over the past few months (Dell
    >> selling Linux-powered systems, several Ubuntu releases, Eee PCs selling by
    >> the shipload) I˙m more than a little surprised to find Linux still more
    >> than an arm˙s reach away from 1%.
    >>
    >> When I look over at Linux from my position on the OS sidelines, I have to
    >> acknowledge that the development communities behind the Linux kernel, the
    >> desktops, applications, and the individual distros have done some good work
    >> over the past couple of years. But on the other hand, almost all of the
    >> issues that I raised back in November of 2006 (ˇThe world just isn˙t ready
    >> for Linuxˇ and ´Why Linux will never go mainstream on the desktop´) still
    >> plague Linux when it comes to its adoption by mainstream consumers (Yes,
    >> yes, I know, there are going to be a lot of Linux die-hards who will be up
    >> in my grill for saying that, but I will point at the current market share -
    >> 0.8% - as evidence which suggests that I am right.). Linux is a great niche
    >> OS, but that doesn˙t lead to a commanding market share. Looking at Ubuntu˙s
    >> roadmap for 8.10 I think that it˙s becoming apparent (to Canonical at
    >> least) given how heavily the release will focus on a niche market - the
    >> subnotebooks.
    >>
    >> Coincidentally, my Linux usage pretty much falls into the niche category.
    >> I˙m happy to put Linux to work in duties such as NAS, file server and maybe
    >> loading it onto an old notebook, but the idea of replacing Windows on the
    >> desktop with a Linux distro - well I won˙t say that will never happen, but
    >> right now the day I do that is a looooooooong way off. And even for duties
    >> such as acting as an OS for a NAS box, I know that it would have been far
    >> less hassle to have either used Windows as the OS or bought a ready-made
    >> NAS system - for me Linux falls into that ´science experimentˇ category and
    >> I˙ve learned to identify anyone who tells me that Linux is ´easyˇ as either
    >> deluded, has bought into the superstition, or is a liar. And don˙t try to
    >> fool me with that old ´well, every new OS comes with a learning curveˇ
    >> nonsense - the Mac OS is proof that an OS can be powerful yet easy to use.
    >> Seriously folks, no one should have to waste time Googling just to figure
    >> out how to install an application.
    >>
    >> ********************End of article**************************
    >>
    >> Notice on the blog that the Linux zealots are out in force defending their
    >> mother Linux.
    >>
    >> Good for them.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >> is a stinker.....
    >>
    >> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>
    >>

    >
    > something is seriously wrong with your brain.
    > Linux is very good now.. after vista linux use is climbing steadily and
    > so is MacOSX


    You seem to have problems with numbers.
    Try actually reading the article and looking at the numbers.
    If you don't like those numbers, you can always look at the BBC study which
    had Linux pegged at 0.8 percent, which I say is artificially high due to
    the Linux loons hammering the site at that time begging for support for
    some video player.
    The BBC ignored them BTW.

    As for Mac OSX, yes, it is growing but please don't try and lump it
    together with a piece of junk like Linux desktop because it's obvious Linux
    is not growing by any significant number.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    capin' crunch, our #1 loser wrote:

    ---------------------------------------
    Hey crunch...still can't get your one little install of Vista to run
    properly?
    Look, broke, incompetent losers like you is why linux exist!
    Try it.
    It's all you'll ever need!...LOL!

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:35:23 +0300, F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>> Linux is free.
    >>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>
    >>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >>> desktop market?
    >>>
    >>> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >>> People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    >>> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....
    >>>
    >>> Here is yet ANOTHER article, offering the same, or similar numbers that
    >>> other sites have been reporting, including the BBC....
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179#comments
    >>>
    >>> *******From the Article***************************
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> While I was trawling through Net Applications operating system share trend
    >>> data for the past 24 months, something struck me. June 08 market a big
    >>> month for Linux because the OS saw the largest increase in market share for
    >>> the whole 2 year period - a growth of 0.12%.
    >>>
    >>> What we˙re seeing from the Net Applications data is that over the 24 month
    >>> period Linux has seem a growth of its market share of 0.36%, but if you
    >>> look at the past 12 months you see a growth of 0.37% which tells us that
    >>> Linux growth for the first year of the 2-year period we˙re looking at here
    >>> had flat-lined.
    >>>
    >>> 0.12% growth in a month is a is a lot for Linux, but when compared to the
    >>> Vista, XP and Mac OS X it˙s nothing, not even a drop in the ocean. But
    >>> Linux is still out there, still being updated and still chasing that
    >>> magical 1% mark. When is Linux likely to hit that mark? Well, it could be
    >>> in the next few months or it could be a year or so away, depending on how
    >>> you draw the trendlines.
    >>>
    >>> Given all the Linux hype that we˙ve seen over the past few months (Dell
    >>> selling Linux-powered systems, several Ubuntu releases, Eee PCs selling by
    >>> the shipload) I˙m more than a little surprised to find Linux still more
    >>> than an arm˙s reach away from 1%.
    >>>
    >>> When I look over at Linux from my position on the OS sidelines, I have to
    >>> acknowledge that the development communities behind the Linux kernel, the
    >>> desktops, applications, and the individual distros have done some good work
    >>> over the past couple of years. But on the other hand, almost all of the
    >>> issues that I raised back in November of 2006 (ˇThe world just isn˙t ready
    >>> for Linuxˇ and ´Why Linux will never go mainstream on the desktop´) still
    >>> plague Linux when it comes to its adoption by mainstream consumers (Yes,
    >>> yes, I know, there are going to be a lot of Linux die-hards who will be up
    >>> in my grill for saying that, but I will point at the current market share -
    >>> 0.8% - as evidence which suggests that I am right.). Linux is a great niche
    >>> OS, but that doesn˙t lead to a commanding market share. Looking at Ubuntu˙s
    >>> roadmap for 8.10 I think that it˙s becoming apparent (to Canonical at
    >>> least) given how heavily the release will focus on a niche market - the
    >>> subnotebooks.
    >>>
    >>> Coincidentally, my Linux usage pretty much falls into the niche category.
    >>> I˙m happy to put Linux to work in duties such as NAS, file server and maybe
    >>> loading it onto an old notebook, but the idea of replacing Windows on the
    >>> desktop with a Linux distro - well I won˙t say that will never happen, but
    >>> right now the day I do that is a looooooooong way off. And even for duties
    >>> such as acting as an OS for a NAS box, I know that it would have been far
    >>> less hassle to have either used Windows as the OS or bought a ready-made
    >>> NAS system - for me Linux falls into that ´science experimentˇ category and
    >>> I˙ve learned to identify anyone who tells me that Linux is ´easyˇ as either
    >>> deluded, has bought into the superstition, or is a liar. And don˙t try to
    >>> fool me with that old ´well, every new OS comes with a learning curveˇ
    >>> nonsense - the Mac OS is proof that an OS can be powerful yet easy to use.
    >>> Seriously folks, no one should have to waste time Googling just to figure
    >>> out how to install an application.
    >>>
    >>> ********************End of article**************************
    >>>
    >>> Notice on the blog that the Linux zealots are out in force defending their
    >>> mother Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Good for them.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >>> is a stinker.....
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>>
    >>>

    >> something is seriously wrong with your brain.
    >> Linux is very good now.. after vista linux use is climbing steadily and
    >> so is MacOSX

    >
    > You seem to have problems with numbers.
    > Try actually reading the article and looking at the numbers.
    > If you don't like those numbers, you can always look at the BBC study which
    > had Linux pegged at 0.8 percent, which I say is artificially high due to
    > the Linux loons hammering the site at that time begging for support for
    > some video player.
    > The BBC ignored them BTW.
    >
    > As for Mac OSX, yes, it is growing but please don't try and lump it
    > together with a piece of junk like Linux desktop because it's obvious Linux
    > is not growing by any significant number.
    >

    You dont seem to know that Linux and MacOSX are both based on UNIX
    Have you used Linux? I have used all OS's from Windows to Linux to MACOS
    to Solaris, to older ones like the amiga workbench...

    linux has become very easy to use.

    people are not installing it, not because the OS itself has problems...
    but other reasons. Can you try to strain your brain to think for a
    moment, and guess what they are?

    you bore me and I dont want to get into a long thread - flamewar

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:50:51 +0300, F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:35:23 +0300, F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>>> Linux is free.
    >>>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >>>> desktop market?
    >>>>
    >>>> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >>>> People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    >>>> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>>>
    >>>> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....
    >>>>
    >>>> Here is yet ANOTHER article, offering the same, or similar numbers that
    >>>> other sites have been reporting, including the BBC....
    >>>>
    >>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2179#comments
    >>>>
    >>>> *******From the Article***************************
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> While I was trawling through Net Applications operating system share trend
    >>>> data for the past 24 months, something struck me. June 08 market a big
    >>>> month for Linux because the OS saw the largest increase in market share for
    >>>> the whole 2 year period - a growth of 0.12%.
    >>>>
    >>>> What we˙re seeing from the Net Applications data is that over the 24 month
    >>>> period Linux has seem a growth of its market share of 0.36%, but if you
    >>>> look at the past 12 months you see a growth of 0.37% which tells us that
    >>>> Linux growth for the first year of the 2-year period we˙re looking at here
    >>>> had flat-lined.
    >>>>
    >>>> 0.12% growth in a month is a is a lot for Linux, but when compared to the
    >>>> Vista, XP and Mac OS X it˙s nothing, not even a drop in the ocean. But
    >>>> Linux is still out there, still being updated and still chasing that
    >>>> magical 1% mark. When is Linux likely to hit that mark? Well, it could be
    >>>> in the next few months or it could be a year or so away, depending on how
    >>>> you draw the trendlines.
    >>>>
    >>>> Given all the Linux hype that we˙ve seen over the past few months (Dell
    >>>> selling Linux-powered systems, several Ubuntu releases, Eee PCs selling by
    >>>> the shipload) I˙m more than a little surprised to find Linux still more
    >>>> than an arm˙s reach away from 1%.
    >>>>
    >>>> When I look over at Linux from my position on the OS sidelines, I have to
    >>>> acknowledge that the development communities behind the Linux kernel, the
    >>>> desktops, applications, and the individual distros have done some good work
    >>>> over the past couple of years. But on the other hand, almost all of the
    >>>> issues that I raised back in November of 2006 (ˇThe world just isn˙t ready
    >>>> for Linuxˇ and ´Why Linux will never go mainstream on the desktop´) still
    >>>> plague Linux when it comes to its adoption by mainstream consumers (Yes,
    >>>> yes, I know, there are going to be a lot of Linux die-hards who will be up
    >>>> in my grill for saying that, but I will point at the current market share -
    >>>> 0.8% - as evidence which suggests that I am right.). Linux is a great niche
    >>>> OS, but that doesn˙t lead to a commanding market share. Looking at Ubuntu˙s
    >>>> roadmap for 8.10 I think that it˙s becoming apparent (to Canonical at
    >>>> least) given how heavily the release will focus on a niche market - the
    >>>> subnotebooks.
    >>>>
    >>>> Coincidentally, my Linux usage pretty much falls into the niche category.
    >>>> I˙m happy to put Linux to work in duties such as NAS, file server and maybe
    >>>> loading it onto an old notebook, but the idea of replacing Windows on the
    >>>> desktop with a Linux distro - well I won˙t say that will never happen, but
    >>>> right now the day I do that is a looooooooong way off. And even for duties
    >>>> such as acting as an OS for a NAS box, I know that it would have been far
    >>>> less hassle to have either used Windows as the OS or bought a ready-made
    >>>> NAS system - for me Linux falls into that ´science experimentˇ category and
    >>>> I˙ve learned to identify anyone who tells me that Linux is ´easyˇ as either
    >>>> deluded, has bought into the superstition, or is a liar. And don˙t try to
    >>>> fool me with that old ´well, every new OS comes with a learning curveˇ
    >>>> nonsense - the Mac OS is proof that an OS can be powerful yet easy to use.
    >>>> Seriously folks, no one should have to waste time Googling just to figure
    >>>> out how to install an application.
    >>>>
    >>>> ********************End of article**************************
    >>>>
    >>>> Notice on the blog that the Linux zealots are out in force defending their
    >>>> mother Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> Good for them.
    >>>>
    >>>> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >>>> is a stinker.....
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> something is seriously wrong with your brain.
    >>> Linux is very good now.. after vista linux use is climbing steadily and
    >>> so is MacOSX

    >>
    >> You seem to have problems with numbers.
    >> Try actually reading the article and looking at the numbers.
    >> If you don't like those numbers, you can always look at the BBC study which
    >> had Linux pegged at 0.8 percent, which I say is artificially high due to
    >> the Linux loons hammering the site at that time begging for support for
    >> some video player.
    >> The BBC ignored them BTW.
    >>
    >> As for Mac OSX, yes, it is growing but please don't try and lump it
    >> together with a piece of junk like Linux desktop because it's obvious Linux
    >> is not growing by any significant number.
    >>

    > You dont seem to know that Linux and MacOSX are both based on UNIX
    > Have you used Linux? I have used all OS's from Windows to Linux to MACOS
    > to Solaris, to older ones like the amiga workbench...



    Yawn......

    Neither is Unix.

    OSX is based on BSD....

    Linux is a Unix copycat.

    You need to go back to school.

    Obviously you are bull ****ting or else you would have known that.

    > linux has become very easy to use.


    Sure it has.

    Unless you have to interface with the outside world.

    Quick, tell me how to update the firmware in my cellphone, pda,GPS,etc
    using Linux?

    How do I sync them with my email and contact program?

    How about planning my trip offline and loading it into my GPS using Linux?

    I could go on for hours demonstrating what Linux can't do that average Joe
    needs or wants to do, but the above should keep you busy for a while.

    > people are not installing it, not because the OS itself has problems...
    > but other reasons. Can you try to strain your brain to think for a
    > moment, and guess what they are?


    It's free.
    Nothing more.
    Nothing less.

    And BTW, they are also removing it just as quickly because if that were not
    true, Microsoft would have been out of business a long time ago just based
    upon the download statistics for various Linux and OSS programs.

    IOW downloading and installing != using for any length of time.

    > you bore me and I dont want to get into a long thread - flamewar


    And you're an idiot.
    Please try and learn something about the topic before posting and
    confirming to the world that you don't have a clue what you are talking
    about.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:46:47 -0700, FB wrote:

    > capin' crunch, our #1 loser wrote:
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > Hey crunch...still can't get your one little install of Vista to run
    > properly?
    > Look, broke, incompetent losers like you is why linux exist!
    > Try it.
    > It's all you'll ever need!...LOL!


    Hahahaha!!

    That and a LOT of time....

    Linux is free only if your time has no value...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.
    >
    > So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    > desktop market?
    >
    > Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    > SNIP
    >
    > Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    > is a stinker.....
    >
    > Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >
    >


    Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    with it.

    FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    "Computer Icon", find the "3˝ Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto it.

    In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When
    you're done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the
    multi-user UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.

    John Kopf

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In article ,
    John O. Kopf wrote:
    >
    >In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When


    Oh, horse****. (Troll****? Anyway...) Every Linux since 2001
    runs a volume manager when the graphical desktop is up. Damned things
    are in the way, but if you can't handle a mount command then they'll
    make it all work just like Windows.

    Geeez. I'm responding to trolls. Is there a doctor in the house?


  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote complete garbage as usual:


    >
    > Unless you have to interface with the outside world.
    >
    > Quick, tell me how to update the firmware in my cellphone, pda,GPS,etc
    > using Linux?
    >
    > How do I sync them with my email and contact program?
    >
    > How about planning my trip offline and loading it into my GPS using Linux?
    >
    > I could go on for hours demonstrating what Linux can't do that average Joe
    > needs or wants to do, but the above should keep you busy for a while.
    >


    From an Ubuntu user for 1 month having been saved from a Windows hell..

    Because ****ty companies don't make software / make things easy for *nix
    is the OS's fault.. believe that and you are seriously stupid. At least
    with *nix you have a chance of fixing it if you have an ounce of brains.

    FYI I inferface without issue, I update firmware fine, I sync all my
    calendar and contact info fine , I plan trips and upload data fine...
    just because you can't work it out doesn't mean others are as incapable
    as you.

    Z.

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    No. It hasn't been that low for several years and I'm quite sure it's not
    going down any time soon.

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:23:26 +0100, Dru wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote complete garbage as usual:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Unless you have to interface with the outside world.
    >>
    >> Quick, tell me how to update the firmware in my cellphone, pda,GPS,etc
    >> using Linux?
    >>
    >> How do I sync them with my email and contact program?
    >>
    >> How about planning my trip offline and loading it into my GPS using Linux?
    >>
    >> I could go on for hours demonstrating what Linux can't do that average Joe
    >> needs or wants to do, but the above should keep you busy for a while.
    >>

    >

    > From an Ubuntu user for 1 month having been saved from a Windows hell..
    >
    > Because ****ty companies don't make software / make things easy for *nix
    > is the OS's fault.. believe that and you are seriously stupid. At least
    > with *nix you have a chance of fixing it if you have an ounce of brains.


    But below you claim it's easy and you do it fine.
    So which one is true?

    > FYI I inferface without issue, I update firmware fine, I sync all my
    > calendar and contact info fine , I plan trips and upload data fine...
    > just because you can't work it out doesn't mean others are as incapable
    > as you.
    >
    > Z.


    Yea that's it blame the user.

    What a complete liar......

    There is no need to even respond further because you are so full of crap
    even the Linux loons will see it.

    If you want to play with the big boys I'll give you some advice, never make
    claims like you've made above and expect to be taken seriously.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>
    >> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >> is a stinker.....
    >>
    >> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    > with it.
    >
    > FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    > "Computer Icon", find the "3˝ Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto it.
    >
    > In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When
    > you're done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the
    > multi-user UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.
    >
    > John Kopf



    Boy are you incredibly stupid. Get your Mom to sign you up for the
    teletubbies newsgroup.

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:09:44 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

    > John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>> Linux is free.
    >>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>
    >>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >>> desktop market?
    >>>
    >>> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >>> is a stinker.....
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >> with it.
    >>
    >> FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    >> "Computer Icon", find the "3˝ Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto it.
    >>
    >> In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When
    >> you're done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the
    >> multi-user UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.
    >>
    >> John Kopf

    >
    >
    > Boy are you incredibly stupid. Get your Mom to sign you up for the
    > teletubbies newsgroup.


    Is that another Linux distribution?

    Teletubby Linux?

    Wow, have we hit 1000 different versions of Linux yet?

    Hey, screw the fragmentation and confusion, it's all about choice!!!

    Go Linux!!

    You GO Girl!!!!!



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    1h9uwgq999vza$.1tyxyay4wjkmj.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 6:19 PM:

    >> Boy are you incredibly stupid. Get your Mom to sign you up for the
    >> teletubbies newsgroup.

    >
    > Is that another Linux distribution?
    >
    > Teletubby Linux?
    >
    > Wow, have we hit 1000 different versions of Linux yet?
    >
    > Hey, screw the fragmentation and confusion, it's all about choice!!!
    >
    > Go Linux!!
    >
    > You GO Girl!!!!!


    What I find amusing is how they are all grouped as "Linux" when convenient
    but then talked about as different OSs based on Linux when that makes things
    look better.



    --
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France




  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????


    "Snit" wrote in message
    news:C4993B27.C6506%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    > 1xbbmlptdln3i.eyh1adub83rk.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 3:33 PM:
    >
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>
    >> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >> People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive
    >> switch
    >> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>
    >> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....

    >
    > The lack of coherence and polish in the UI matter. OSS tends to have the
    > tech in the background done well, hence the reason it works so well on
    > servers, but the front end - while getting better - still has a ways to
    > go.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    > like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted
    > over Darwin's?
    >

    Did You Ever Wake Up In A Cold Sweat Wondering Why Your Hand Was Rubbing
    Your Tiny Little Dick?



  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    kevpan815 wrote:
    > "Snit" wrote in message
    > news:C4993B27.C6506%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    >> 1xbbmlptdln3i.eyh1adub83rk.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 3:33 PM:
    >>
    >>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>> Linux is free.
    >>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>
    >>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent
    >>> of the desktop market?
    >>>
    >>> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >>> People would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive
    >>> switch
    >>> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....

    >>
    >> The lack of coherence and polish in the UI matter. OSS tends to
    >> have the tech in the background done well, hence the reason it works
    >> so well on servers, but the front end - while getting better - still
    >> has a ways to go.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    >> like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted
    >> over Darwin's?
    >>

    > Did You Ever Wake Up In A Cold Sweat Wondering Why Your Hand Was
    > Rubbing Your Tiny Little Dick?


    Your dreams aren't universal.



  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Damian wrote:
    > kevpan815 wrote:
    >> "Snit" wrote...
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" whined like a little girl:
    >>>
    >>>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>>> Linux is free.
    >>>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of
    >>>> the desktop market?
    >>>>
    >>>> Something that is free is used by so little of the population? People
    >>>> would rather spend big bucks for Vista or even more expensive switch
    >>>> to Mac, like a lot are doing, rather than run free Linux?
    >>>>
    >>>> Something is seriously wrong with Linux....


    Another series of lies, which reminds me. New poster to
    comp.os.linux.advocacy tells profound truth about Moshe AKA Flatfish:

    http://tinyurl.com/6m6a8c

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Subject: Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio, Fedora Live
    CDs Interview
    Message-ID: Xns9A7D9779E7902thisnthatadelphianet@66.250.146.12 8
    Date: 11 Apr 2008 18:53:55 GMT


    > Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works for me" crap
    > in COLA and most times it's just people telling lies.


    Well sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm not in COLA. I'm reading these posts
    in the Ubuntu group. The only reason they are going to COLA is because
    whomever started the thread had it crossposted there...and to Vista
    groups, which I removed because this has nothing to do with Vista.

    I'm NOT a Linux pusher, I still use Windows most of the time since I'd
    just installed Linux a few weeks ago, maybe a month+ ago, and still
    checking out apps and learning Linux. There are things I like and things I
    don't like.

    Believe what you want to believe. It's painfully obvious that you are
    completely anti-Linux, just like some are completely anti-MS, and have
    such strong preconceived beliefs that it doesn't really matter what anyone
    says about any particular Linux item, everyone's a liar, and nothing works
    out-of-the-box.

    >>> The lack of coherence and polish in the UI matter. OSS tends to have
    >>> the tech in the background done well, hence the reason it works so
    >>> well on servers, but the front end - while getting better - still has
    >>> a ways to go.


    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/snit-troll.html

    [quote]
    Name: snit

    Traits:

    * MAC troll
    * Cross posts to maximize newsgroup disruption
    * Despised by many on COLA and COMA (comp.os.mac.advocacy)
    * Proves the saying 'those that can do, those that can't teach
    * Idiot

    [....]

    Apparently, Snit is not well liked for his trolling, as expressed in this
    reply:

    http://tinyurl.com/5zzwyo

    Subject: Re: Oh no, Snit! A TWO page paper!
    Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:26:59 -0600
    Message-ID: trollkiller-1A9918.08265902072008@ne...ps.comcast.net

    Tell Snit... he's the disingenuous, nymshifting, ID forging, sock puppet
    using ass who has been trolling usenet for *years*. Here's what some
    people have to say about him... to give you a little perspective as to who
    is causing this crap:

    1- Adam Kesher: "Steve, IIRC Sandman's website has a member area and a
    login. If you forget your password, you can ask it to e-mail it to you,
    and a bot will send an e-mail.

    *That* is the e-mail Snit got from Sandman's website, and yes he's that
    ****ed in the head and starved for attention that he'd claim it to be an
    e-mail from Sandman himself. So, don't get sucked into his little circus.

    The e-mail, in this particular instance, did probably originate from
    Sandman.net."

    2- Alan Baker: "People's perceptions of you are *formed* by behaviour and
    not withstanding your occasional on topic posts, I wish you'd leave too.
    Please note that despite the amazing silliness that is Edwin, I have never
    made the same wish of him."

    3- Andrew J. Brehm: "You are not flamed because you speak the truth, you
    are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting the
    newsgroup."

    4- AZ Nomad: "The fact that you routinely change your headers to weasel
    out of killfiles proves that you're an asshole."

    5- Andy/news/nospam: "Why do you keep these things up, Snit? Why not just
    let them go away and show how responsible a member of CSMA you are? You
    could show your enemies up by being better than then, rise above the low
    level you so obviously dislike. Anything, just stop...."

    6- B.B.: "Does the From: header contain the string "Snit"? If yes, then
    troll. Otherwise, maybe. Dunno why I had my KF on you set to expire, but
    it's fixed now."

    7- bobinnv: "I learned some time ago how much better this group can be if
    you kill file Snit. I have never understood why more people don't do the
    same.."

    8- Bob S: "This has always been pretty much a free-for-all group, but
    since Snit showed up, its become almost impossible to have a decent
    discussion about anything.

    The solution is to NOT REPLY TO SNIT. But for some reason, some people
    just can't stop feeding him."

    9- [b]unny: "snit makes me sad."

    10- buzz off: "Snit is obviously mentally ill..."

    11- chrisv (cola): "No, she called him "****", and rightly so, for they
    way he was so ignominiously birthed into a toilet at the bus depot, and
    simply refused to die, despite repeated flushes.

    It's now far too late to *flush* him, but we can still *plonk* him..."

    12- C Lund: "Snit is not my responsibility. Maybe it's time for you to
    learn how to use your kill-filter. I am assuming, of course, that your
    Usenet browser has a kill-filter."

    13- Code Orange: "Then why post it? What need is there for you to "win" an
    argument? They don't like you, you don't like them. Why must you keep this
    up? What results are you expecting?"

    14- Dawg Tail: "You've already apologized for having already misread what
    I had previously written. What makes you think that you're correctly
    understanding what I'm writting now. You've got a history of reading into
    things what you wanted people to have said instead of what they really
    said.

    I suggest you get over this limitation of yours. It's making you look
    foolish."

    Dawg Tail: "PC advocates, Mac advocates, Linux advocates. Almost all of
    them are making similar claims about Snit. When you have so many diverse
    people who share a common perception where do you think the problem lies?
    With Snit? Or almost everyone else? The answer doesn't require an advanced
    degree to figure out."

    15- Dave Fritzinger: "Snit, please go away. Get a life, meet a woman, do
    something, but please, please, please, GO AWAY!!!! "

    16- Donald L McDaniel: "Jesus, snit. You're a teacher. I thought you knew
    what a metaphor was, and could recognize one when it was presented to you.
    I guess I had too much confidence in you."

    17- ed: "snit, you continually amaze me with how much of a liar and loser
    you are. you may notice a semi-regular pattern with me where i stop
    responding to your posts for stretches at a time, then start up responding
    as if you were a normal person. i suppose it's tough for the magnitude of
    your 'loserdom' to stick, so it loses some of it's sharpness when i stop
    responding to you. you almost always start responding back in a semi
    normal way, but inevitably degenerate. it's once again that time. i can
    only ask that you pass my condolences to your wife and unborn child for
    having to put up with such a dishonest fool as yourself. (well, if your
    wife is a loser as well, just pass those condolences to the rug-rat to be;
    if not, double condolences to her). "

    18- Edwin: "You've got to be out of your mind, Snit. You're the worst
    troll this group has ever seen. You're a liar and a forger, and you've
    almost destroyed this group single-handedly. For you to post a list of out
    of context arguments, and lies, and forgeries about your enemies labeled
    as a "peace effort" has to be one of the craziest stunts you've pulled.
    It's all about your sick need for attention, your need to be center stage
    at all times. You'd publicly eat dog turd if you thought it would make
    people look at you."

    19- Elijah Baley: "Seriously, Snit, you need psychiatric help. Go see a
    doctor."

    20- Elizabot v2.0.2: "I see you were unable to respond to the points in my
    post and you are back to your repetitious regurgitation mode. How
    childishly typical of you, Snit. "

    21- fibercut: "That is the problem. In the years I have been coming to
    CSMA I have seen in the past year a real hatred among people, besides the
    typical Mac vs. Windows typical argument. I feel that it is like being in
    a room of really young children trying there best to best the other
    person. The one common thing among all of this seems to be you. I hate to
    be like this, but facts are facts. You seem to be in the middle of a great
    percentage of arguments. CSMA has become less about Macs and more about
    "look everybody, I think he lied". Is there no end then all this picking
    at each other on such a personal level. CSMA has always been al little
    adversarial but you have personally crank it up to the point that this
    place is no longer fun. Congratulations on stopping CSMA and making this
    place your own personal circus."

    22- George Graves: "Jason. You have started an argument with the Snit (AKA
    Michael Glasser), this should not be done. He will drive you crazy with
    his twisted logic, his deep-rooted need to be ALWAYS right at any cost. He
    will move goalposts, set up strawmen, and bore you into submission with
    his endless pedanticism. The only way to engage him is to hit and run.
    NEVER engage him, it's a futile, empty procedure that will only anger you
    and feed him. Take my advice and STAY AWAY!"

    23- gimme_this_gimme_t...@yahoo.com: "Hitting the vodka tonight Snit?"

    24- Greycloud: "You really shouldn't lie like that. Everyone else notices
    that you are not honest and you have no honor."

    25- Henry Flam: "Who gives a damn about this ****? Snit, once in a while,
    I make the mistake in thinking that that you are starting to make sense in
    your posts; I tend to agree with your politics. Then you post stuff like
    this and it destroys any respect that I have for you."

    26- Heywood Mogroot: "*plonk*"

    27- Jamie Hart (cola): "It seems that since you are unable to offer
    support for your statements, you're reduced to personal attacks on me.
    Incidentally, anyone reading this post can see that I have offered no
    straw men, and have only asked you to explain how the things you state as
    facts can be true. I'm really sorry that you're taking this attitude, the
    topic is an interesting one and I thought you might have some insights.
    I've snipped the rest, since you dislike long posts and avoid answering
    any of the questions I asked by saying everything was just repeated. "

    28- Jason McNorton: "You're one of the many, many paranoid people on
    usenet that should be confined most likely. You sit there and refresh your
    screen endlessly. You post the same nonsense over and over. Either you're
    a super troll, or you're a super mess."

    29- JEDIDIAH (cola): "You're simply full of ****."

    30- Jeff B.: "Yo, Snit. We're not pals. I think you're a git."

    31- Jeff Hoppe: "This is a Macintosh Advocacy newsgroup. Not a 12-step
    recovery plan. Your medical problems or conditions won't help me achieve a
    greater understanding of my Mac. In fact, it detracts from it and those
    kinds of discussions have no place in a newsgroup such as this."

    32- Jesus: "Really, Snit. It's annoying. What are you accomplishing
    besides being annoying? Is that your goal?"

    33- Jim Lee Jr.: "Snit, read the thread's title, is Bush mentioned in it?
    You (and Carroll) ought to learn to stay on topic and not hijack threads."

    34- Jim Polaski: "Why is it that nearly every thread you're involved in
    seems like it turns into some tit-for-tat, dozens of responses to OT
    things and garbage?"

    35- Jim Richardson (cola): "And yet again, Snit runs away, rather than
    actually provide evidence for his claims. Par for the course I suppose."

    36- Joey Jojo Junior Shabadoo: "and Snithead has even farther to fall - in
    a few weeks he'll be out on the street after midnight, yelling at
    passersby 'sucky sucky, $2...'"

    37- John C. Randolph: "You're nothing but a troll yourself. What are you
    bitching about?"

    38- JohnOfArc (cola): "I'm not sure "troll" does it justice- more like a
    black hole! But hey, if we all promise to never again even entertain an
    unkind thought re Apple, will you take it back and lock it up? Please??"

    39- John Q. Public: "I have not been bothered to read Snit's postings
    since I figured out who he is. I don't bother to filter his posts, I just
    consider the source and skip to the next one when I see his name."

    40- John Slade: "I don't get posts from Snit. I wouldn't be shocked that
    he has some kind of disorder. He made up stuff about being a computer
    repairman and teacher. He's just plain loony and best ignored. Let him
    deal with his disorder by medication. He's here to do one thing, get
    attention from people. He says the crazy stuff just to get a reaction. You
    say you like to beat him over the head. Well that's what he's counting on,
    he says stuff he knows isn't true in hopes to get a rise out of people
    like you. Ignore him, you won't regret it."

    John Slade: "Snit, you have a enough problems as it is without adding
    drinking booze to the list. How the hell did you manage to get out of my
    killfile? Oh well back into the cage you go, PLONK."

    41- Josh McKee: "Snit, I assume there was some point to this posting?
    Because I certainly cannot find it."

    42- K E: "I haven't read this board for awhile but I see that even though
    the trolls still roam free at least the worst troll of the lot is mostly
    being ignored by readers on this bb. If the few stragglers that keep
    replying to him would just stop responding to Snit at all this place could
    be worth coming back to. There's a good chance he'll pack up and take his
    trolling to more fertile ground."

    43- Kelsey Bjarnason (cola): "Funny how you simply don't bother reading
    the posts that rip your entire thesis to bleeding gobbets of putrid
    excrescence. Maybe some day you'll learn how to support your position,
    instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and humming, hoping it'll
    all go away."

    44- Ku Karlovsky (cola): "You repeatedly chastise others for ad hominem
    attacks while in the same sentence make your own ad hominem attacks.You
    make silly claims and then avoid the subject of your silliness. You're a
    liar and a hypocrite and you always have been."

    45- Lars Trager: "Yes, you are stupid."

    46- Lefty Bigfoot: "Okay, I tried to put up with it for a long time, but
    the few times you post something worth reading just aren't worth it
    anymore. *plonk*"

    47- Liam Slider (cola): "Maybe he's responding to the fact you've been an
    annoying little ****wit lately. You started out with the pretense of
    trying to be fair, but lately all there is from you in COLA is trashtalk
    about Linux and you acting every bit the troll."

    48- Linonut (cola): "Snit is a Tholenoid."

    49- Lloyd Parsons: "Well, I don't know if Oxford is the most cretinous, I
    would think that would be reserved for Snit! ;-)"

    50- Mark Kent (cola): "The problem with someone like Mr Glasser is the
    same as it is with Mr Wong, even if he were to be honest now, it would be
    impossible to determine where the honesty starts and the usual dishonesty
    ends. In my primary school, one of the teachers was very keen on proverbs,
    and I recall her going over the "cry wolf" story. Mr Glasser could "cry
    wolf" over and over now, and I would not come to help him with his sheep,
    because I do not know any way of determining if he's ever telling the
    truth, or indeed, if he ever has."

    51- Mayor of R'lyeh: "The fact is that he's probably pulling it to this
    post since its all about him and he managed to make me think about him
    today. A friend of mine has a toddler. I went over to her house and
    videotaped her kid doing a bunch of cute toddler stuff then burned a DVD
    of it for her. While we were watching the DVD her kid got mad. He got mad
    because we quit making him the center of attention and made that kid on
    the tv the center of attention. He even ran up to the tv and tried to
    block our view of it. That's how Snit lives his whole life."

    52- Michelle Ronn: "The real topic here is that one someone refutes your
    "facts", you run away and ignore them. Refuting your "facts" is easily
    done in this case. I did it, and you ignored it. "

    53- Mike: "Nonsense. I never see you "advocate" anything. All I see you
    doing is engage in endless semantic arguments with everyone. You're the
    TholenBot of CSMA. BTW, that's *not* a compliment!"

    54- Mike Dee: "I will no longer accuse you of lying here. Instead I can
    only say that you are a complete and delusional kook that happens to
    inhabit CSMA for the time being. That you are unaware of how deranged you
    actually behave further reinforces this notion. Please seek professional
    help."

    55- mmoore321: "Snit is a human car-accident and we are all rubbernecking.
    We know it is bad form, but yet strangely curious. Treat him the same way,
    look but just keep moving on."

    56- Mojo: "Actually, these facts piss everybody off because they are
    off-topic, unnecessarily confrontational, extremely boring and clearly
    show that you are crying out for attention."

    57- Mr. Blonde: "Lastly, I can't help but comment on the fact that your
    obsession with Sandman has actually grown since you claimed to KF him.
    Killfilling someone generally implies you're ignoring that person, yet you
    piggyback onto virtually every reply to him here and and check his
    website's validation status more often than most people check their
    e-mail. These are not the actions of a mentally balanced individual."

    58- MR_ED_of_Course: "Seriously, spend half a day at any pre-school or
    kindergarten and see if the kids there can't teach you a thing or two
    about social behavior."

    59- Muahman: "Ummm, dude you post 1000 posts a day. 999 of them are
    trolls, if anyone here has issues it's not me."

    60- Nashton/Nasht0n: "Oh for crying out loud, if I wasn't convinced that
    snit is a total loser, and I rarely call people losers, I certainly am
    now. Why bother responding to his stupidities anyway?"

    61- New Bee: "Honest and honorable? You? You've either got a wry sense of
    humor, or you're completely nuts. Either way you're just a waste of time,
    and you've done more than anybody to make this group a cesspool. Then you
    revel in wallowing in your own filth."

    62- Not Important: "I get this mental image of you and a sibling as
    children in the back seat of the family car saying: Mom, 'snits' touching
    me ... and you responding much as you do now ... I'm not touching you,
    you're touching me! The problem is that by now you should've grown out of
    that type of poke and complain interaction with others. But, of course,
    you've haven't learned how to interact with others in a more
    'constructive' and mutually beneficial manner even now."

    63- OldCSMAer: "What's he been doing? Am I going to be sorry I killfiled
    him?"

    64- OldSage: "What drives me nuts is your unrelenting ability and desire
    to argue on the head of a pin about the most trivial of things."

    65- Oxford: "If you are using MT-Newswatcher: Select offending Author,
    example Snit... Go to the Filters Menu, Choose "Kill this Author" Click
    "OK" Then Repeat with each annoying Author of your choice. Then to see
    your work... Choose the Filter Menu again, Then "Refilter Articles"...
    Bam! No more boring, pointless bickering about nothing. Enjoy!!!!!"

    66- Patrick Nihill: "I mean, honestly, who would you rather discuss
    something with; Dan, or someone like Zara? Or, for that matter, Snit, for
    whom the work 'troll' seems so painfully inadequate?"

    67- Pawel Wojciak: "Jesus Christ, snit... [plonk] "

    68- PC Guy: "Forget it Snit, you're a waste of time. For someone who talks
    about everyone else not being "honest and honorable" you appear to be the
    least honest and honorable of anyone here."

    69- Peter: "I've never felt the need to use the filters in Newswatcher but
    I thought Id try the Kill this Author.. option with Snit. Ten seconds
    later and he's gone! Amazing."

    70- Peter Bjorn Perlso: "Plonked for 60 days. Now stfu and take your
    argument with sandman into the private room."

    71- Peter Hayes: "True, but that removes Snit completely, and someti...
    err..... occasiona.... errrrr..... once in a blue moon he has something
    useful to say."

    72- Peter Jensen (cola): "Where has he ever said that they were not
    different windowing environments? Message-ID, please. Experience has told
    me not to trust you on anything without backing evidence."

    73- Peter Kohlmann (cola): "Snot is a hideous troll. Nobody is as
    dishonest as that piece of unadultered garbage. There are csma posters
    even more stupid than Snot. Oxford comes to mind. There are certainly
    other csma posters who lie nearly as much. But no others are so intent on
    trolling in whatever way possible as Snot"

    74- Phil Earnhardt: "You're only interested in trying to get superficial
    snipes and extrapolate inappropriate conclusions."

    75- Rapskat (cola): "For instance, your sig you reference a long standing
    war you have going with some person from csma. It's like you single out
    persons to target your attentions upon and then continuously berate them
    with constant barbs and goads to perpetuate their acrimonious responses,
    which in turn you respond in kind, etc. ad infinitum. Above all things,
    your affinity for Macs and your overbearing pompous nature aside, this is
    what convinces me that your primary purpose for frequenting this and other
    groups is to troll."

    76- RichardK: "Just killfile him already."

    77- Rick (cola): "Snit, you are a liar. And an ignorant one. You trash
    people that are trying their level best to cope with a horrendous
    situation. And you do it without the slightest idea of what is going on."

    78- Rick G.: "Just to be plain here, I have no doubt that he is a troll. I
    am tolerant of his nature, not blind to it. However, as a troll, he is ...
    somewhat clumsy."

    79- Robert F.: "Um, perhaps you misunderstand. I don't care if you quote
    Mayor McCheese claiming the Earth is a flat plate perched on the shell of
    a tortoise, I was merely pointing out that you run the risk of looking
    ridiculous when you quote something patently stupid. If that's your goal,
    you're on the right track, and more power to you."

    80- Roy Culley (cola): "You appear to be in the latter category. Starting
    crossposted threads for the simple purpose of hoping to generate a flame
    war. If you truly want to learn more about Linux and how it can help you
    and your supposed users why aren't you requesting help from a more
    technical Linux newsgroup than an advocacy group? As the old saying goes,
    those who can do, those who can't teach. Your posts seem to confirm that
    saying IMHO."

    81- Sandman: "He is by far the most killfiled person in the -HISTORY- of
    csma. I've never seen someone so disliked, almost hated, in a news group
    before. He has the ability to turn just about any person against him in
    just a few posts. On usenet, trolls do this daily, but the funny part with
    Michael is that I actually think he DOESN'T consider himself be a troll -
    damn what -EVERYONE ELSE- is calling him. Obviously they are wrong. Only
    Tholen himself can match this behaviour."

    82- sav: "You really need to take a rest somewhere nice. Honestly, even
    the nutters who hang out down on Brighton seafront made more sense than
    this. You been doing drugs or something?"

    83- Sean Burke: If you're dumb enough to respond to snit, you're probably
    dumb enough to click on a spam attachment that promises to remove smut
    from your harddrive."

    84- ShutterBugz: "so snit-zel has some kind of problem expressing anger, i
    guess. he has to vent his frustrations in other ways. and he thinks he's
    making sense: well the syntax is there and he figures he's pretty smart.
    indeed, he tells us, he's done the personality tests and the iq tests and
    he's okay! aaaaahhhhh, you see he's soooooooo well adjusted."

    85- Steve Carroll: "The only things we are sure about Snit is that he has:
    * a monumental reading comprehension problem. * nym-shifted numerous times
    to avoid kill-files. * built too many straw-men to count... some, the size
    of small cities. * been labeled a disingenuous liar/troll(or worse) by the
    vast majority. * used numerous sock-puppets and admitted to it. * stolen
    IDs and admitted to it.
    * gotten booted off by ISPs for his behavior. * twisted more context than
    all csma posters combined. * made more unsupported accusations than all
    csma posters combined. * virtually no life outside of csma."

    86- Steve Mackay: "Just killfile Snit, the dishonest piece of elephant
    dung, and all would go away. Sure, I got caught up in the "Snit Circus",
    but then the cotton candy began to sour, and CSMA begun to smell like
    elephant dung."

    87- Steven de Mena: "Sorry, you have now lost all credibility with me for
    your rediculous argument regarding this."

    88- Steve Travis: "Oh oh... Now look what we've done. Snit has lost all
    self respect and has sunk to the point of using words like 'asses' when
    referring to others. Oh, how could the morally superior snit have fallen
    so low.. Please take a moment out of your busy schedule to feel embarassed
    for him. Or perhaps we should set up a fund to get him more happy glue
    (and the appropriate plastic bags)."

    89- Stuart Krivis: "You might as well just give up and plonk him then. A
    snit is a snit is a snit and always will be."

    90- TheLetterK: "That is merely your perception, ****. You're the one
    lacking counter evidence, and your arguments basically amount to "I'm
    right, nya nya nya." No matter how many examples someone points at to
    demonstrate their claim, you blindly continue to insist that they provide
    no evidence, or that the evidence given is irrelevant. Worse still, you
    fall back on straw men and disingenuous quote mangling to portray the
    argument in your favor. You are one of the worst trolls that inhabit CSMA,
    ****. *Edwin* is more prone to fits of reason than you are. "

    91-Tim Adams: "I'd kill file you but then I'd miss the fun. you see, you
    never cease to amaze me at just how stupid you really are. Why just the
    other day I had a great laugh when I saw you, the king of liars (in this
    NG anyway) calling somebody else a liar."

    92- Tim Crowley: "I don't know - I think you might have more compassion.
    Snit is sick. He needs help. This is the only way the poor sick fool can
    get attention. My ****ing God, he's taken to hanging out with and
    supporting racist pig ****ers like MuahMuah. It is true that no-one likes
    him and those that pretend they do are just using him or don't know him -
    but come on- it's not his fault. He's sick. Have some compassion, eh? All
    these idiot trolls, Zara, Stew, Tommy, MuaaaahMuaaah, and Snit - they are
    all so alike. I pity each and every one of them"

    93- Tim Smith: "No, he didn't, and there is no reasonable way you could
    actually believe he lied. You are purely trying to troll here."

    94- Timberwoof: "*Plonk!*"

    95- Tom Bates: "Do you have to turn any thread you post in into one of
    your Circus acts?"

    96- Tommy: "In case you did not get it, I think the moral was: Stop
    polluting the world with your infantile and obsessive "writings". You give
    Mac advocacy a bad name. If that was your goal you have succeeded! That
    also goes for all that bull**** on your website"

    97- TravelinMan: "I still can't figure out what's wrong with Snit. Most
    people have him kill-filed and the few who don't mostly restrict their
    responses to 'why don't you go away, no one wants you here'. Just what
    would keep someone in this group with all of that animosity? Must be some
    kind of severe mental illness."

    98- Wally: "Because by your own admission "honor and honesty" are nothing
    more than a "game" to you, as such not only do you wish to define the
    rules, but no doubt you will also attempt to alter or bend the rules when
    inevitably things do not go to your liking, for this reason I doubt anyone
    would be foolish enough to play your game."

    99- William R. Walsh: "Now, if you'll excuse me, and accept my sincere
    apologies for this, PLONK! Feel proud about that. You're the first person
    to be plonked from my new computer! :-) "

    100- Woofbert: "*Plonk*"

    101- zara: "Look - I'm not into combing through thousands of posts, to
    prove what was said or not said - I leave stuff like that to people
    without lives, like Snit. But it is assuredly, in the record. Ping Snit to
    do a search - you will flatter him, and give meaning to his tawdry little
    life."

    102- Znu: "I think your 'I'll go start a new thread to try to draw more
    people into the debate I'm currently having with Steve/Elizabot/etc'
    tactic is fairly trollish." [UNQUOTE]

    >>> Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    >>> like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted
    >>> over Darwin's?

    >>
    >> Did You Ever Wake Up In A Cold Sweat Wondering Why Your Hand Was
    >> Rubbing Your Tiny Little Dick?

    >
    > Your dreams aren't universal.


    LOL!

    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "High Plains Thumper" stated in post
    pan.2008.07.09.05.23.28.450000@invalid.invalid on 7/8/08 10:23 PM:

    ....
    >>>> The lack of coherence and polish in the UI matter. OSS tends to have
    >>>> the tech in the background done well, hence the reason it works so
    >>>> well on servers, but the front end - while getting better - still has
    >>>> a ways to go.

    >
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/snit-troll.html
    >
    > [quote]
    > Name: snit
    >
    > Traits:
    >
    > * MAC troll
    > * Cross posts to maximize newsgroup disruption
    > * Despised by many on COLA and COMA (comp.os.mac.advocacy)
    > * Proves the saying 'those that can do, those that can't teach
    > * Idiot
    >
    > [....]
    >
    > Apparently, Snit is not well liked for his trolling, as expressed in this
    > reply:


    A troll named Steve Carroll scavenged / made up those quotes - but what he
    and other trolls have failed to do - and shall continue to fail to do - is
    actually show anything *I* have done that is significantly wrong.

    I speak about truth - something trolls cannot stand.



    --
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    --Aldous Huxley


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast