Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo: > Linux has been around for 15+ years. > Linux is free. > Linux applications are free. Moronic one-track trolling idiot bastard. Looks like I'm going to have to plonk your sorry ...

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.

    Moronic one-track trolling idiot bastard.

    Looks like I'm going to have to plonk your sorry keister /everywhere/.

    Idiot.

    --
    My own life has been spent chronicling the rise and fall of human systems,
    and I am convinced that we are terribly vulnerable. ... We should be

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    * Bob Eyster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > For the same reason why any one cares what you think. I if any
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bob Eyster
    > MS Windows Vista Home Premium
    >

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    > > Bob Eyster top posted:
    > >
    > >>One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.

    > > Why should we care what some top poster, a Vista user yet, thinks?

    Congratulations, Bob. You've managed to give your answer /before/ the
    questions was even posed.

    --
    The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

  3. Just another MS troll

    Get a life.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  4. Re: Just another MS troll

    Fred wrote:

    > Get a life.

    Thanks for changing the subject line, so that my traps can't detect
    and absorb this foolish message.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    > machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >
    > Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    Very simple explanation.

    They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    already have.

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DanS

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:58:08 +0000 (UTC)
    :
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated
    > Windows software they already have.

    Which tells us at least one of the following, if this
    report is accurate.

    [1] It's too hard to work with WinE.
    [2] It's too hard to port software to standards.
    [3] It's too hard to wean people from preloaded Windows software.

    Lovely, no?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    > already have.

    And the reports are probably wrong/lies.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred
    (Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:49:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.

    > Moronic one-track trolling idiot bastard.
    >
    > Looks like I'm going to have to plonk your sorry keister /everywhere/.
    >
    > Idiot.

    The truth hurts Linonut....
    At least I don't have my head of Roy Schestowitz's ass like you do.

    Try thinking for yourself for a change instead of running around parroting
    a moron like Roy Schestowitz.

    BTW, I consider it a compliment that you plonk me.
    I certainly wouldn't want to waste any dialog on a brainless, starry eyed
    zealot like you, Linonut.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:58:08 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    > already have.

    But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >> already have.
    >>

    > But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.

    It is.

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:34:45 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >>> already have.
    >>>

    >> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>

    > It is.

    So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems and wipe Linux and
    install pirated Windows?
    Doesn't seem to be a smart thing to do if Linux is a better system than
    Windows.

    The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems and wipe Linux and
    > install pirated Windows?

    I don't give a **** about people in china, you, or anyone else.
    Linux is better than windows.

    I don't give a toss about your fictional "people" who "hate" it either.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  13. Re: Yet another nutcase

    CBFalconer, ye bird-brained futtock, base dunghill villain, I'll have
    thy head, ye mumbled:

    I changed the subject line for you, Chucky, you ****ing nutcase.

    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  14. DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!1!

    CBFalconer, ye backward fool in good clothes, you put sharp weapons in a
    madman's hands, ye derided:

    > Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> Get a life.

    > Thanks for changing the subject line, so that my traps can't detect
    > and absorb this foolish message.

    I changed the subject line for you, Chucky, you ****ing nutcase.

    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:34:45 +0100
    :
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >>> already have.
    >>>

    >> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>

    > It is.

    Debatable on a *very* pedantic level; there are 500+
    distros of varying quality. PCLinuxOS in particular
    has some highly visible bugs in some of its dialogs.
    Linux qua Linux is the kernel, and won't even *boot*
    without additional software (GRUB/LILO/LOADLIN, /sbin/init,
    /bin/bash, /lib/libc.so, etc.).

    Like I said, very pedantic. Properly packaged and managed[*],
    a Linux-based system is of excellent quality; certainly
    Gentoo for me is very easy to use, though for someone just
    getting his feet wet Ubuntu or Fedora might be a better
    choice, especially if the shell prompt

    '# '

    scares the hell out of him. ;-)

    In any event, the Chinese have always been inscrutable, and
    might very well prefer XP, which is a reliable enough solution
    (compared to its successor), and has the huge advantage of
    name recognition -- an issue that has hampered Linux all
    throughout its lifetime.
    [*] there are a few issues if the system is underpowered
    -- literally. Replacement of the power supply might
    aid therein. This used to be mentioned in a GCC FAQ,
    and a kernel compile is a good hardware stress test.

    These issues are of course not limited to Linux;
    it's good but not magic. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400
    <1ws49j1ry5oo2$.z9wmjf1nqrka$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems
    > and wipe Linux and install pirated Windows?
    > Doesn't seem to be a smart thing to do if Linux is a
    > better system than Windows.
    >
    > The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    Of course they do; that's why you have to keep reminding them here.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    There is someone somewhere who hates anything you can name. No doubt
    there are more people who hate MS OS's than linux. Some people just don't
    like to type. Is linux better than windows? For my uses, yes. Maybe not
    for someone else's. Seems like a variation on the "mine is bigger than
    yours" argument.

    I hate, and I mean that in a strong manner, not just a slight dislike, my
    cell provider, but unfortunately I live in an area where they are the
    only game in town, so I am stuck with them. Lots of people are like that
    with their computers as well.

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-12, Nico wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    The truth is, people in general don't know enough to HATE it.

    They are apathetic at best.

    The only people that actually "hate" Linux are trolls like
    you that for some strange reason need to attack what everyone
    else would largely ignore even if it were running on some bit
    of hardware they actually own (Tivo, EEE PC, Archos, TV, STB).

    [deletia]

    Why bother attacking the irrelevant? Is is some sort of
    demented bully fixation? Or is it something else equally sad?

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Fred wrote:
    > DanS wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >>
    >>> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >>> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>>
    >>> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    >> Very simple explanation.
    >>
    >> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >> already have.

    > And the reports are probably wrong/lies.

    Same thing happened in the US. Most everyone believed MS hype. Then as
    the masses became more computer literate thet started moving away from MS.
    caver1

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nico

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:54:31 -0500
    <07GdnfgojNlaneXVnZ2dnUVZ_o7inZ2d@giganews.com>:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    > There is someone somewhere who hates anything you can name.

    More formally, given something named, one can find a
    person who hates it (as opposed to there exists a person
    who hates everything). ;-)

    > No doubt
    > there are more people who hate MS OS's than linux. Some people just don't
    > like to type. Is linux better than windows? For my uses, yes. Maybe not
    > for someone else's. Seems like a variation on the "mine is bigger than
    > yours" argument.
    >
    > I hate, and I mean that in a strong manner, not just a slight dislike, my
    > cell provider, but unfortunately I live in an area where they are the
    > only game in town, so I am stuck with them. Lots of people are like that
    > with their computers as well.

    Not entirely sure of that; one could in theory go
    mail-order with the computer, or even with the phone (not
    that that would help the actual cell coverage, admittedly).

    eRacks.com and system76.com both look attractive for those so
    inclined (in the continental US, anyway). I've not had the
    courage to try them yet, myself.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }