Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; On 2008-07-10, thufir wrote: > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote: > >>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's >>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant. >> >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 156

Thread: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, thufir wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's
    >>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant.

    >>
    >> ...better yet.
    >>
    >> Let's contemplate MS-DOS 5 vs. the original Macintosh.
    >>
    >> All the 68K machines blew away kludge clones in any technical criteria.

    >
    >
    > I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's ok
    >
    > You're comparing hardware to hardware, or OS?


    Both.

    Not having a flat memory space was such a drag once I finally
    got around to getting a kludge clone. I am still holding a
    grudge over the manual memory management shenanigans of WinDOS.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||
    technology grows by accretion, each new creator / | \
    building on the works of those that came before.

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit


    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, CBFalconer wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >>
    >>> linux has become very easy to use.

    >>
    >> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    >
    > Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a


    No. Just don't crosspost.

    If you write a message for multiple groups than it makes sense
    for the entire thread to remain resident in all those groups.
    Otherwise you will fragment the conversation.

    If crossposters really "distress" you so much then simply use
    the facilities that have been available to Usenet readers since
    the state of the art newsreader was a collection of shell scripts.

    > single newsgroup for any articles that are crossposted to more than
    > two newsgroups. See this post. This has two major advantages:
    >
    > 1. It suppresses much of the spam.
    > 2. It prevents trying to send a message to a newsgroup your
    > server does not handle, and the associated errors.
    >



    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||
    technology grows by accretion, each new creator / | \
    building on the works of those that came before.

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit


    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Linonut wrote:
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You too are and idiot.

    >>
    >> That stands all by itself.

    >
    > Poor fake chrisv, reduced to a lame spelling-lame.


    I don't see it as a spell-lame, it's more like a PKB.



  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:40:02 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-07-10, thufir wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's
    >>>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant.
    >>>
    >>> ...better yet.
    >>>
    >>> Let's contemplate MS-DOS 5 vs. the original Macintosh.
    >>>
    >>> All the 68K machines blew away kludge clones in any technical criteria.

    >>
    >>
    >> I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's ok


    Motorola chip series -- 68000, 68010, 68020, 68030, etc.
    Popular in the Mac, Amiga, and Atari.

    >>
    >> You're comparing hardware to hardware, or OS?

    >
    > Both.
    >
    > Not having a flat memory space was such a drag once I finally
    > got around to getting a kludge clone. I am still holding a
    > grudge over the manual memory management shenanigans of WinDOS.
    >


    And they are still there. An old game of mine -- Delta-V
    -- needs over *600K* of conventional RAM to start.
    Win95 can't run it. Even FreeDOS has problems; it will
    load and play the first few "runs" [+] in QEMU, but
    universally crashes on one particular such, presumably
    because it runs out of conventional RAM.

    The registers are instructive; while the 68000 wasn't
    perfect (it had 8 D and 8 A registers[*], so wasn't
    perfectly orthogonal, at least at the beginning; I don't
    know if one can use MOV.L 8(D4),A7 now, for example),
    it was far better than the kludgy 8080-compatible crap
    (AX, BX, CX, DX, SI, DI, BP, PC) the 8086 had.

    To its credit later versions of the 80x86 series now
    allow addressing modes such as [EAX], and a 32-bit (4GB)
    generally flat address space (one still has to set up
    the segment registers).
    [*] two of the A registers (A6=SP, A7=PC) are dedicated.
    D0, like the 8086's AX or EAX, by convention was used
    for function returns.

    [+] the game is basically a primitive first-person
    shoot-em-up where one is expected to fly in a trench;
    the "framing story" of "netrunners" is mildly
    interesting if rather silly.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andy Jacobs wrote:

    > Apart from this nagging Flash problem that I'm sure I'll solve
    > eventually, I absolutely bloody love Ununtu. It was just the best thing
    > I could have done!


    Which flash problem?
    Koolmoves works brilliantly with a cup of vine.

    Laszlo

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    caver1 wrote:
    > John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >> with it."
    >>
    >> John Kopf

    >
    >
    >
    > I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    > Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    > caver1



    The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    environment.

    I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).

    John Kopf

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar
    >>> with Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become
    >>> familiar with it."
    >>>
    >>> John Kopf

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar
    >> with Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >> caver1

    >
    >
    > The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    > environment.
    >
    > I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    > (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    > and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    > pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >
    > John Kopf




    When people started using windows very few had been exposed to it prior.
    There are many places that you can go to get help with any OS that you want.
    caver1

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:26:03 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> DanS wrote:
    >>>> "Bob Eyster" wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for
    >>>>> it. I for one do not like open source apps, at present that's
    >>>>> all that seems available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2,
    >>>>> there was no interest in it plus no one wrote apps for it.
    >>>>
    >>>> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that
    >>>> just because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that
    >>>> the only available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's
    >>>> a short list of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players
    >>>> are represented......
    >>>>
    >>>> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4
    >>> ... snip about 50 ids ...
    >>>> Xilinx PlanAhead v9.2.7
    >>>
    >>> Linux is released under GPL. All those groups must make the source
    >>> code available if they make the binaries available. Failure to
    >>> comply has stiff potential penalties.

    >>
    >> Where did you pull THAT one from?
    >> The only proprietory software on linux that needs to be GPL is that which
    >> statically links to LGPL libraries or links dynamically to GPL libs.
    >>
    >> As long as the software companies dynamically link to sensibly chosen
    >> LGPL libraries, they can do what the hell they want with their source code
    >> and licensing.
    >>
    >> That microsoft FUD (linux is a cancer) died years ago when everyone stomped
    >> on it.

    >
    > Classic....
    >
    > And you Linux guys wonder why the suits in typical corporations are afraid
    > of Linux and Linux applications...
    >
    > You guys can't even agree on the GPL..


    Indeed. However does that matter? I think not.

    Remember GPL etc al is about freedom. The debate is in the public area. Join
    in. Try not to Troll

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, chrisv wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> mentally-ill troll:
    >>>
    >>> You guys can't even agree on the GPL..

    >>
    >>What's to agree or disagree about?

    >
    > The fsckwitted troll probably wants to think that it's "bad" that
    > there's no consensus on "which license is the 'best one'".
    >
    > There is no "best license". The software's creator can choose
    > whatever license suits him or her. Or not.
    >

    This is *the* point. Any persons creation is copyrighted. It is the
    *conditions* of that copyright which are important.

    Look, all of the OSS software is copyrighted.

    Richard Stallman's master idea was to turn copyright upon itself. It has
    been tested in the courts and won. D-Link had to had over the code which was
    used in one of its products. Microsoft seems to have been pacing about at
    the gates, wanting to attack for many months now.




  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >>> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >>> with it."
    >>>
    >>> John Kopf

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    >> Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >> caver1

    >
    >
    > The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    > environment.
    >
    > I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    > (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    > and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    > pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >

    Unix is not Linux.

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Gordon wrote:

    >> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    >> (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    >> and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    >> pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >>

    > Unix is not Linux.

    QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.

    --
    Ein Optimist ist in der Regel der Zeitgenosse, der am ungenügensten
    informiert ist. - John Priestley

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was
    >>> QNX (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed
    >>> to QNX, and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there
    >>> are no man pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix
    >>> license).
    >>>

    >> Unix is not Linux.


    > QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.
    >


    No, but QNX started as a unix look-alike. However, about 1996 ATT
    started making waves, and wanted QNX to get a unix license; QNX was
    completely redone to still provide the same functionality, but all
    programs and library functions were renamed to avoid the need to license.

    Much the same was done with Linux.

    John Kopf

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    For the same reason why any one cares what you think. I if any

    --

    Bob Eyster
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium



    "chrisv" wrote in message
    news:ti0c741irumhqtoapl57qqb1f6j5n8drbc@4ax.com...
    > Bob Eyster top posted:
    >
    >>One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.

    >
    > Why should we care what some top poster, a Vista user yet, thinks?
    >



  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Bob Eyster top posted:

    >For the same reason


    What is "for the same reason", top poster?

    >why any one cares what you think. I if any


    You see, I am not a top-poster. Top-posting is like having an "I'm an
    idiot" sign hanging-around one's neck.


  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:33:04 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    > news:1gnirite6jsan$.ua8x9kd3p2jl.dlg@40tude.net:
    >
    >> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:53:14 -0700, Damian wrote:
    >>
    >>> DanS wrote:
    >>>> "Bob Eyster" wrote in
    >>>> news:#6a5awc4IHA.3396@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    >>>>
    >>>>> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.
    >>>>> I for one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that
    >>>>> seems available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no
    >>>>> interest in it plus no one wrote apps for it.
    >>>>
    >>>> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that just
    >>>> because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that the only
    >>>> available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's a short list
    >>>> of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players are
    >>>> represented......
    >>>>
    >>>> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4
    >>>> Active State Komodo IDE v4.0.1
    >>>> AdventNet ManageEngine PasswordManager Pro v4.8
    >>>> AdventNet ManageEngine ServiceDesk Enterprise Plus v7.0
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    >>> of them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long
    >>> even if all 7 linux users buy it.

    >>
    >> They probably have Windows versions as well.
    >> I know SlickEdit has a Windows version.

    >
    > Almost all listed have a windows version also. And that's a bad thing in
    > your eyes ?


    So they won't go out of business.......

    See Loki for example.

    The cheap Linux sots refused to pay for software and the company went down
    the drain.

    > It makes the transition easier to Linux if the same apps are available
    > for Linux also.


    Assuming people are interested in Linux which they are not.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    chrisv wrote:
    > Top-posting is like having an "I'm an
    > idiot" sign hanging-around one's neck.
    >

    and posting sentences like this one, is like wearing an
    "I am a Usenet inquisitor"
    star in his breast.

    Simultaneously crossposting this to 4 newsgroups without a f'up is IMHO
    like preaching water and drinking wine.

    Chears!

    Laszlo

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:50:12 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:



    > Assuming people are interested in Linux which they are not.


    I am.

    --
    Andy Jacobs

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-11, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-07-10, John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:
    >>> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>>> SNIP
    >>>>
    >>>> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >>>> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >>>> with it."
    >>>>
    >>>> John Kopf
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    >>> Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >>> caver1

    >>
    >>
    >> The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    >> (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    >> and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    >> pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >>

    > Unix is not Linux.


    Yes but it's close enough that you have to keep repeating that
    mantra over and over again so people don't get confused.

    Unix in general is kind of handy that way...

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-11, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was
    >>>> QNX (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed
    >>>> to QNX, and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there
    >>>> are no man pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix
    >>>> license).
    >>>>
    >>> Unix is not Linux.

    >
    >> QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.
    >>

    >
    > No, but QNX started as a unix look-alike. However, about 1996 ATT
    > started making waves, and wanted QNX to get a unix license; QNX was
    > completely redone to still provide the same functionality, but all
    > programs and library functions were renamed to avoid the need to license.
    >
    > Much the same was done with Linux.


    Got some examples?

    This sounds like total nonsense.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:57:01 +0200, Lazlo Lebrun wrote:

    > Andy Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> Apart from this nagging Flash problem that I'm sure I'll solve
    >> eventually, I absolutely bloody love Ununtu. It was just the best
    >> thing I could have done!

    >
    > Which flash problem?
    > Koolmoves works brilliantly with a cup of vine.
    >
    > Laszlo


    Some Flash works fine. Some doesn't. I can't view the movies on the BBC
    news site, for example. You see the first frame and press play. FF then
    sits there, goes grey for about 2 seconds like it's crashed and then
    comes back. The Flash movie then displays a black screen with great big
    white letters going down saying THIS CONTENT ISN' and that's all you can
    see.

    I tried going onto the Volkswagen site last night and I can't see
    anything at all.

    That's the only operational problem that I have at the moment. As I run
    a web design company, it completely precludes me from checking some of
    the work that we've done.

    The only other inconvenience is my iPod and iTunes. I've seen that there
    is some software for transferring music to iPods but the lack of being
    able to buy is a bit of a pain. It's not a massive problem as my wife
    runs Windows on a laptop so I can just use that.

    Apart from the 2 problems, I absolutely love it. For me, there are 100
    benefits and 2 negatives.

    I actually think it's good that it's a bit exclusive. My fear is that in
    order for it to satisfy it's critics it'll have to be dumbed down to the
    same level as Windows which will just make as as unstable as Windows.

    I still sit here scratching my head wondering what motivates people like
    Mr Goldfarbe. I don't like Kentucky Fried Chicken but I don't spend
    large amounts of my time standing in there restaurant telling all their
    customers that I don't like it. It seems a bit insecure to me. He was
    probably buggered in the showers at school by the sports teacher and this
    is his way of feeling like he's in control.

    --
    Andy Jacobs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast