Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; some idiot forging chrisv wrote: >CBFalconer, ye puking old sheep-whistling rogue, ye lispeth and wear >strange suits, ye rued: > >> chrisv wrote: >>> F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote: >>> >>>> linux has become very easy to use. >>> >>> ...

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >CBFalconer, ye puking old sheep-whistling rogue, ye lispeth and wear
    >strange suits, ye rued:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    >> Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a
    >> single newsgroup

    No.

    >**** off and die, you nutjob control freak.

    Ignore the forger.

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Bob Eyster top posted:

    >One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.

    Why should we care what some top poster, a Vista user yet, thinks?

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Damian wrote:
    >>> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    >>> of them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long
    >>> even if all 7 linux users buy it.

    >> Idiot.
    >> Oh, hang on, that's Peter's line... Sorry Peter.

    >You can't take the truth very well, huh.

    It's not truth, it's idiocy. Linux is growing. If "small market
    share" meant inevitable decline, Linux would not be growing.

    Fsckwit.

  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Idiot.
    >>> Oh, hang on, that's Peter's line... Sorry Peter.

    >>You can't take the truth very well, huh.

    > It's not truth, it's idiocy. Linux is growing. If "small market
    > share" meant inevitable decline, Linux would not be growing.
    >
    > Fsckwit.

    DOH! Must remember, THERE IS NO ****ING S IN FSCKING!

    DOH! I'm a fsckwit sometimes.

    DOH! Make that most of the fscking time.

    DOH!

  5. How to recognise female logic

    chrisv, ye cack-handed such toasts-and-butter, priests must become
    mockers, if they shall encounter such ridiculous subjects as you, ye
    informed:

    > It's obvious that I have a lot on my mind; too bad there isn't any
    > room left for brains.

  6. Anxiety leading to more problems

    chrisv, ye moronic patch-breech, if thy name be George, I'll call thee
    Peter, ye dissented:

    > lets get one thing straight. I'mnot bright, big words confuse me and i
    > have the attention span of a rodent.

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:49:27 +0200, Laszlo Lebrun wrote:

    >Additionally, Wine was not really a serious solution to run legacy
    > programms. Also this is now coming close to maturity.

    Now that is fantastic! Describing 'win' applications as legacy! ROFL!
    From this day on, I'm going to steal that phrase and describe all windows
    applications as 'legacy'. I've never heard it put so well.

    --
    Dog walks down the road. Gust of wind. Dog inside out.
    I've replaced my 'old joke' signature because a better man than me told

  8. Re: Anxiety leading to more problems

    chrisv wrote:
    > chrisv, ye moronic patch-breech, if thy name be George, I'll call thee
    > Peter, ye dissented:
    >
    >> lets get one thing straight. I'mnot bright, big words confuse me and i
    >> have the attention span of a rodent.

    Well do I believe it.

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >He's blunter than a sphere.

    Hehe...

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 23:39:51 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    >>> only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    >>> China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded machines
    >> in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>

    > Where is this reported?

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9168398,00.htm

    " In emerging markets, where desktop Linux enjoys wider popularity, the
    trend is even starker. Around 80 percent of the time, Linux will be removed
    for a pirated copy of Windows. Pirated copies sell for around $1 in the
    streets of Shanghai and other cities in Asia and Eastern Europe, but can
    also be bought in stores selling brand name PCs."

    Amongst other places....

    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?
    >>

    > You obviously never heard of Yellow Dog Linux.

    Evidently neither have you.

    Yellow Dog Linux is used to run Linux on a Mac....

    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    This is like shooting humans in a barrel.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:53:14 -0700, Damian wrote:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> "Bob Eyster" wrote in
    >>
    >>> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I
    >>> for one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that
    >>> seems available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no
    >>> interest in it plus no one wrote apps for it.

    >> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that just
    >> because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that the only
    >> available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's a short list
    >> of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players are
    >> represented......
    >>
    >> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4
    >> Active State Komodo IDE v4.0.1
    >> AdventNet ManageEngine PasswordManager Pro v4.8
    >> AdventNet ManageEngine ServiceDesk Enterprise Plus v7.0
    >> AdventNet ManageEngine SNMP Utilities v5.0
    >> Anthemion DialogBlocks v4.20
    >> Blitz Max v1.26
    >> Studio Suite v2008
    >> DataRescue IDA Pro Advanced v5.2
    >> DialLogic Host Media Processing Software v3.1.SP157
    >> Dolphin SMASH v5.9.3
    >> Dolphin SoC GDS v6.0.1
    >> DTSearch Engine v7.5.7515
    >> Fintronic SuperFinSim v9.2.9
    >> Fledermus Pro v6.5.1c.261
    >> FullRecall v1.3.3
    >> Heartsome Translation Suite v6.2-10
    >> LimeWire Pro v4.12.11
    >> Maple
    >> Massive Jet v3.0.0
    >> Massive Prime v3.0.3
    >> My Eclipse Enterprise Workbench v6.0.1
    >> Nero Linux v3.0.2.1_x86_64
    >> Objecteering v6.0 SP2 Enterprise Edition
    >> PerForce v2007.3
    >> PhotoBlender_v3.0_Multilingual_Linux
    >> Pro E Wildfire v3.0.M030
    >> Project Engine Server and Client Enterprise Edition v2007.12
    >> Purebasic v4.10
    >> RageWork v2.9
    >> Runtime DiskExplorer v1.0
    >> SlickEdit 2007
    >> TimeBox v5.7.6
    >> TrueSec Security Toolkit LiveCD v2.0
    >> VariCAD 2007
    >> VueScan Pro v8.4.09
    >> Writers Cafe v1.26
    >> Xilinx ChipScope Pro v9.2i x64
    >> Xilinx ChipScope Pro v9.2i x86
    >> Xilinx PlanAhead v9.2.7
    >>
    >> I'd also like to add RealBASIC 2007 to the list also. The 'Lite'
    >> version is free. But no the 'Pro' version. Additionally, in the 'Pro'
    >> version, if you stick with intrinsic functions and subs, the same
    >> source code can be used to compile for Windows, MAC, and Linux, with
    >> very little change.

    > With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any of them
    > will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long even if all 7
    > linux users buy it.

    They probably have Windows versions as well.
    I know SlickEdit has a Windows version.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:26:03 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> DanS wrote:

    >>> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that
    >>> just because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that
    >>> the only available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's
    >>> a short list of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players
    >>> are represented......
    >>>
    >>> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4

    >> ... snip about 50 ids ...
    >>> Xilinx PlanAhead v9.2.7

    >> Linux is released under GPL. All those groups must make the source
    >> code available if they make the binaries available. Failure to
    >> comply has stiff potential penalties.

    > Where did you pull THAT one from?
    > The only proprietory software on linux that needs to be GPL is that which
    > statically links to LGPL libraries or links dynamically to GPL libs.
    >
    > As long as the software companies dynamically link to sensibly chosen
    > LGPL libraries, they can do what the hell they want with their source code
    > and licensing.
    >
    > That microsoft FUD (linux is a cancer) died years ago when everyone stomped
    > on it.

    Classic....

    And you Linux guys wonder why the suits in typical corporations are afraid
    of Linux and Linux applications...

    You guys can't even agree on the GPL..
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    So what if they have a Windows version?

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:53:14 -0700, Damian wrote:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> "Bob Eyster" wrote in

    >>> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that just
    >>> because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that the only
    >>> available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's a short list
    >>> of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players are
    >>> represented......
    >>>
    >>> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4
    >>> Active State Komodo IDE v4.0.1
    >>> AdventNet ManageEngine PasswordManager Pro v4.8
    >>> AdventNet ManageEngine ServiceDesk Enterprise Plus v7.0

    >> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    >> of them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long
    >> even if all 7 linux users buy it.

    > They probably have Windows versions as well.
    > I know SlickEdit has a Windows version.

    Almost all listed have a windows version also. And that's a bad thing in
    your eyes ?

    It makes the transition easier to Linux if the same apps are available
    for Linux also.

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Rick writes:

    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:53:10 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any of
    >>> them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long even if
    >>> all 7 linux users buy it.

    >> They probably have Windows versions as well. I know SlickEdit has a
    >> Windows version.

    > So what if they have a Windows version?

    Err, they can stay in business. A bit dim even for you there Rick.

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Classic....
    >
    > And you Linux guys wonder why the suits in typical corporations are afraid
    > of Linux and Linux applications...
    >
    > You guys can't even agree on the GPL..

    What's to agree or disagree about?
    Everyone with sense knows that proprietory software can be written for linux
    just as easily as it can for any other operating system.

    Otherwise, how would you explain such things as oracle or even opera?

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:38:01 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> They probably have Windows versions as well. I know SlickEdit has a
    >>> Windows version.

    >> So what if they have a Windows version?

    > Err, they can stay in business. A bit dim even for you there Rick.

    So, you are saying they also have a Linux version so they can stay in
    business.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    And just this afternoon another amusing ditty - perhaps explaining why
    the windows lobby are a little quieter than usual:

    "Many customers may be experiencing issues connecting to the internet. We
    believe this is due to a recent Windows update which can conflict with
    some security software. Customers unable to browse the internet should
    try disabling their firewall and antivirus software temporarily."

    --
    Dog walks down the road. Gust of wind. Dog inside out.
    I've replaced my 'old joke' signature because a better man than me told
    me to ;-)

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll:
    >>
    >> You guys can't even agree on the GPL..

    >What's to agree or disagree about?

    The fsckwitted troll probably wants to think that it's "bad" that
    there's no consensus on "which license is the 'best one'".

    There is no "best license". The software's creator can choose
    whatever license suits him or her. Or not.

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Umm, no. Are you ok?